FTP and Firewalls

HI. I’ve recently installed Sailwave on a new PC and before the season starts I’m testing that I can publish results to our results server. My connection is made when I try and publish results but I’m getting the ‘Failed to upload page to xx.xx.xx.xx Error 0’ message. I suspect it might be a firewall issue. I’m using McAfee AntiVirus. If anybody is running Sailwave on a PC with McAfee anti virus can you let me know if you had to make any filrewall changes to allow the FTP in Sailwave to succeed. Thanks.

Hi Dave,
Firstly welcome to the Sailwave User Group.

Something to check in Sailwave before looking at Firewalls and your McAfee software.
Go to Setup | Global options. When the window opens select the FTP tab On the FTP change the last check box alongside the words ‘Use passive transfers …’ from what ever is set. So, if there is a tick mark in the box untick or vice versa. Having done this check if you can upload.

Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Huw,

Thanks - I’ve tested that already (both turning on and off passive mode has the same result).

Regards,
Dave

Hi,

To add to my previous thread I’ve used FileZilla to manually FTP the files and there were no issues so it looks like Sailwave is being blocked but FileZilla isn’t.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,
I think you will have to look at the firewall settings, so t hat Sailwave FTP is allowed.

Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Dave, I can help you if you use the Standard Microsoft Firewall but I can’t help you with the McAffee Firewall. Personally, I don’t understand why people use the McAffee anti-virus and Firewall as the Windows antivirus and firewall do everything needed and cause far less hassle. The last time a checked the Windows defender actually beat the others on performance as well. Try temporarily turning off the McAffee firewall and see if it works

I can confirm that with the Firewall blocking Sailwave the results I get are the same as you

For anyone using the Microsoft Firewall if click here

then on the network you are using click Properties

You should see something like this - click the Configure Firewall …

Then Allow an app through firewall

Then you see something like this - scroll to Sailing Scoring Software and make sure that Sailing Scoring Software is enabled for the type of Network you are connected to

Normally when you run Sailwave publish to FTP for the first time you will see a screen similar to this. So you won’t have to go through the above unless at sometime early you have denied it access.

On the window where you selected “allow an app through firewall” there is also an option to change Firewall notifications.

Hope that helps

Jon

Hi Hum,

I’ve already turned off the firewall for Sailwave in McAfee AntiVirus but the FTP is still failing.

Regards

Dave.

Hi Jon,

Thanks - that helps a lot. I’m having a problem accessing Windows Defender because it says that McAfee is managing the firewall even though I have McAfee firewall turned off. I’ll need to do a bit more digging to see why Windows Defender still thinks that McAfee is turned on. There are options in McAfee as well to allow programs FTP through the firewall but they are still blocking Sailwave. I’ll need to do some more digging on this.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

few of our guys have had this isssue with macafee.

This usually helps.

I have a feeling designated ports is not enough so just allow sailwave out.

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for sending this on. Its exactly the same settings as I have. I have Net Guard Off for Sailwave and I’m still getting the same problem. I’m going to contact McAfee tech support to see off they can help. I might also check of there are any network monitoring tools that can check where the connection is being stopped.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Pretty sure designated ports doesn’t work set it to Outgoing Only.

You may need to set the Sailwave FTP passive setting back if no joy.

I don’t have MacAfee myself but I know one of our guy changed it and forgot to save, so check that. Hope it helps

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks. I’ve tried to set it to Outgoing Only and also Passive mode but I’m still getting Error 0. I’ve also tried disabling McAfee firewall so that I can use Windows Defender (using Jon’s instructions) but McAfee seems to still be active even though its turned off. I’ll contact McAfee support to see what they can do to help. Thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,
Have you resolved your FTP problem? If so it would be great if you can let us know the solution.

Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Huw,

Thanks to everybody for your assistance. I have my issue resolved now. It was a combination of my McAfee settings (see photo) as well as the folder I was FTP’ing the results into. I ran a trace report and could see that my connection to the results server was successful which proved that my McAfee settings were correct. Once this was established I focused on the folder I was sending the results to. For some reason when I FTP’d to the root folder on the results server Sailwave gave me an Error 0. When I changed this to a folder below root my FTP was successful.

Hi Dave,
Great to hear that you have resolved your problem and thank you for providing solution.

I will see how to incorporate in an update to the FTP problems section of the Sailwave User Guide and Reference Manual.
Kind regards,
Huw

Thanks Dave,

Error 0 gets reported if Windows fails to write to the requested location. Unfortunately, it doesn’t give much information. But generally, it means that the specified location doesn’t exist or you don’t have permissions to write to that location using the login parameters supplied. So I guess in your case it is probably that you can’t write to the root.

Thanks Jon. What helped me narrow down the error was I ran a tracert from my PC which confirmed that there was no issues connecting to the results server. I then tried changing the folder I was publishing to until I was successful. As you say the main error was that I didn’t have permission to the root folder. My initial problem was the McAfee firewall settings as I also wasn’t able to publish results to the Sailwave results server which indicated that my initial problems were with my firewalls.