Make a popup window appear

I am looking for feedback on the functionality in this version of the entry list - https://ffenestri.co.uk/…/2021%20National…. To see it work click on one of these particular sail numbers 1114, 1276, 1291, 1314 or 1334. All others will give a 404 error.

It is work in progress and BIG thank you to Jon for fixing an issue I found whilst working on this and sending me an updated Sailwave executable.

PS - this using an insight given me a while ago by Peter van Muyden

edited Thursday 11th March 2021 to add the following:
NOTE - the information in the popup window does not come for data held in Sailwave or from data contained in the web page published by Sailwave. the information presented in the popup window is from a completely separate HTML file that has had to be created.

Look forward to your comments.
Kind regards,
Huw

An interesting concept. I’m assuming the pop up fields are readily definable to make sure no personal information is revealed?

Having tested it first of all on a mobile, the pop up works as a new window. If you don’t close that window before returning to the original results page, pressing a new link doesn’t appear to work (although the background window is actually updated) as the focus stays on the results page rather than jumping to the pop up window. Perhaps a close button on the pop up would help?

PC browser works fine, whether or not the pop up is closed

Hi BassSC,
Firstly welcome back.

Thank you for the feedback. Something for me investigate tomorrow
I have not tried accessing the page using tablet or smartphone yet been to busy getting to work on normal PC. Still have to test on a MacOS system but as you said in works on normal Windows PC and my Linux systems.

Kind regards,
Huw

I should have said the following in the original post, which I have done know, but am making a separate post in this thread incase someone does not go back and read the original post.

NOTE - the information in the popup window does not come for data held in Sailwave or from data contained in the web page published by Sailwave. the information presented in the popup window is from a completely separate HTML file that has had to be created.

Hi BassSC,
I have tested on my smartphone using Google Chrome web browser and I have a close window button on the popup window bottom left. Still to test on my old Samsung tablet and a MacOS system.
Also on Smartphone I can touch a button to show both open windows and when I select page originally open then click another sail number the popup window is updated with information on the sail number just clicked.

I will try and get some screen captures to show what I see.

Can you let me know what mobile you tried and the browser, please?
Kind regards,
Huw

BassSC,
I have now checked on a MacOS system using Safari browser and it is frustrating. Once you have opened a popup window one has to close it before viewing information on another sail number. Alternatively one clicks twice on the next sail number one wants to view information on.

Next thing is to download and install Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox and see what happens on MacOS system. Unless a SUG member who uses a MacOS system can test for me.

Kind regards,
Huw

Hi SUG Members,
Following my previous post in this thread on my finding using Safari browser on a MacOS system, last night I installed both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox on the MacOS system. The outcome when using these optional browsers is the same as with Safari. One has to close either close the popup window or double click the the next sail number to view the information for it.

More research required.
Kind regards,
Huw

Huw

Using iPhone with Firefox. I rarely close windows and would just jump back to the original results screen, which is why new popup information stays in the background if a new link is pressed.

To overcome this can the popup force a brand new window rather than updating the previous popup? If not, mobile users need to know to close the popup window, or jump back to it.

Nightmare. At least the America’s Cup was better today!

William Carruthers
/)/)/)/)
(_(_
(_

huw
11 March

Hi BassSC,
I have tested on my smartphone using Google Chrome web browser and I have a close window button on the popup window bottom left. Still to test on my old Samsung tablet and a MacOS system.
Also on Smartphone I can touch a button to show both open windows and when I select page originally open then click another sail number the popup window is updated with information on the sail number just clicked.

I will try an get some screen captures to show what I see.

Can you let me know what mobile you tried and the browser, please?
Kind regards,
Huw

Hi William,
Short answer to your question is yes I can open a new tab or window. It is what I did originally before I went public with the technique.

The question then becomes which is most appropriate. Having everyone, what ever platform, have to close windows or just those on Apple platforms?

From testing I did on MacOS system - using Safari, Chrome & Firefox - I found if you double click another link the popup closes on first click then reopens with new data.

I cannot have code to try and determine which platform and take appropriate action as not enough room in string buffer.

I am still researching the issue on Apple platforms.

I will create new post in this thread documenting what I have done with the code string I have used and the other code string which creates a new tab or window.

Kind regards,
Huw