PlayonMac Problem come to light

Hi SUG members,
A problem when using PlayOnMac to run Sailwave on MacOS has come to light. It is being investigated.

This is using MacOS 10.14 ‘Mojave’ with PlayonMac version 4.3.3.

Sailwave crashes when trying to use ‘Tools | Seed competitor field’. It seems to be the underlying version of WINE that PlayonMac uses.

Sailwave also crashes using ‘Tools | Seed competitor field’ on my Linux Mint version 20.1 running WINE 5.0.3.

More testing will take place over the next few days.

For information openSUSE ‘Tumbleweed’ , rolling Linux distribution, with WINE 6.8 has no problem with ‘Tools | Seed competitor field’. :slight_smile:

So somewhere between WINE 5.03 & 6.8 the problem does not appear.

More information when available.
Kind regards,
Huw

Hi SUG Members,
I have solved the PlayonMac problem with Sailwave crashing when trying to use ‘Tools | Seed competitor field’.

By default PlayonMac has WINE version 1.2! Additional versions of WINE can be installed which run in a completely separate ‘WINE VM’, sso there can be one or more versions of WINE available to run applications like Sailwave. I installed WINE version 6.5 and Sailwave ran without crashing when selecting ‘Tools | Seed competitor field’.

I will write up the steps I followed on my MacOS system running version 10.14 ‘Mojave’ and make the instructions available.

Kind regards,
Huw

1 Like

Hi SUG Members,

I have now written some concise instructions for getting Sailwave to run under PlayOnMac and not have Sailwave crash when trying to use ‘Tools | Seed competitor field’ functionality.

The instructions are for MacOS 10.14 ‘Mojave’ which was running in a virtual machine with Sailwave v2-29-2 which is not generally available yet.
Sailwave - PlayOnMac Configuration.pdf (202.8 KB)

For information the same problem of Sailwave crashing when trying to use ‘Tools | Seed competitor field’ has been reported when using a Chromebook running Codeweavers Crossover. The current version of Crossover uses WINE version 5.x. Sailwave works if the functionality mentioned is not used.

I look forward to any comments you may have.
Kind regards,
Huw

Hi SUG Members,

I have done a bit more investigation on Sailwave crashing when trying to use ‘Tools | Seed competitor field’ functionality.

• Ubuntu 16.04 LTS WINE 1.62 Sailwave 2-25-11 Crashes
  • Ubuntu 18.04 LTS WINE 3.0 Sailwave 2-28-11 Crashes
  • Ubuntu 20.04 LTS WINE 6.0 Sailwave 2-28-11 does not crash

So after current round of investigation it appears that at least WINE 6.0 is required.

Kind regards,
Huw

In Playonmac in Catalina, i can´t update the wine version of Playmac :frowning:

Hello Jesus,
Welcome to the Sailwave User Group.
I am sorry to hear that my instructions do not work with MacOS 10.15 ‘Catalina’.

Kind regards,
Huw

I have basecamp with windows. I will keep waiting, while I will switch to windows when I need to use the seed competitor