10 years of the SUG

Ten years ago to the day we set up the Sailwave User Group here on Yahoo Groups.

Who would’ve thought we would be still going strong today.

Members come and go on an almost daily basis and I can report as of today there are 1887 members here. 10980 messages have been shared.

If anyone is interested Richard Kingsnorth was the writer of the very first SUG email.

Simon

SUGmeister

Burghfield Sailing Club

http://www.burghfieldsailing.org/

···

— In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, “Richard Kingsnorth” <sailing@…> wrote:

Dear All,
Recent thoughts, I’d be delighted to hear your ideas.

Yours
Richard Kingsnorth

----- Original Message -----

To: feedback@…

Cc: sailwave-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 7:44 AM

Subject: Sailwave

Colin,

1. Perhaps you could amend my subscription to read Bewl Valley SC (rather than VGalley!!)?
  1. A supreme accolade, Sailwave was used last weekend by (a very nervous) lady to process the results of the Wayfarer Inland Nationals. She used version 13 and had absolutely no problems all weekend. Thank you.
  1. It is a great help to be able to remove DNC to printed results but I envisage rather a lot of “entries” in the main worksheet by the time the summer is over. The options are either to re-enter competitors for each series or to plough through lists of people who may only have sailed once or twice. Would it be possible to have a database, similar to the handicap database, where people and boats that have been entered for previous series can be selected for subsequent series?

Many Thanks
Richard Kingsnorth

Simon Smith
simon@smith.net

http://travellingthedigitalroad.blogspot.com/

Version 13 to 2.02b6 sounds very insignificant, if you say it quickly.

Would be interested to know how many updates there have actually been.

The number will demonstrate how indebted we all are to Colin for producing a great piece of software for the sailing industry.

There were times when Colin was averaging weekly updates, to oblige everyone who wrote in asking for their own club systems to be included.

Not only a BIG thank you to Colin, but also to Simon for setting up SUG. A first class support system for a first class product

Regards

Ralph

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Simon Smith.
Sent: 25 April 2011 11:05
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sailwave] 10 years of the SUG

Ten years ago to the day we set up the Sailwave User Group here on Yahoo Groups.

Members come and go on an almost daily basis and I can report as of today there are 1887 members here. 10980 messages have been shared.

If anyone is interested Richard Kingsnorth was the writer of the very first SUG email.

Simon

SUGmeister

Burghfield Sailing Club

Dear All,
Yours
Richard Kingsnorth

Colin,

1. Perhaps you could amend my subscription to read Bewl Valley SC (rather than VGalley!!)?
  2. A supreme accolade, Sailwave was used last weekend by (a very nervous) lady to process the results of the Wayfarer Inland Nationals. She used version 13 and had absolutely no problems all weekend. Thank you.
  3. It is a great help to be able to remove DNC to printed results but I envisage rather a lot of “entries” in the main worksheet by the time the summer is over. The options are either to re-enter competitors for each series or to plough through lists of people who may only have sailed once or twice. Would it be possible to have a database, similar to the handicap database, where people and boats that have been entered for previous series can be selected for subsequent series?
    Many Thanks
    Richard Kingsnorth

Simon Smith
simon@smith.net

Yes, very big THANK YOU. An extremely great aid and service to sailing all round the world.

TanSH

···

Sent: Monday, April 25, 2011 19:50:31
Subject: RE: [sailwave] 10 years of the SUG

Version 13 to 2.02b6 sounds very insignificant, if you say it quickly.

Would be interested to know how many updates there have actually been.

The number will demonstrate how indebted we all are to Colin for producing a great piece of software for the sailing industry.

There were times when Colin was averaging weekly updates, to oblige everyone who wrote in asking for their own club systems to be included.

Not only a BIG thank you to Colin, but also to Simon for setting up SUG. A first class support system for a first class product

Regards

Ralph

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Simon Smith.
Sent: 25 April 2011 11:05
Subject: [sailwave] 10 years of the SUG

Simon

SUGmeister

Burghfield Sailing Club

Dear All,
Yours
Richard Kingsnorth

Richard Kingsnorth

Colin,

2. A supreme accolade, Sailwave was used last weekend by
    (a very nervous) lady to process the results of the Wayfarer Inland Nationals. She used version 13 and had absolutely no problems all weekend. Thank you.
  3. It is a great help to be able to remove DNC to printed results but I envisage rather a lot of “entries” in the main worksheet by the time the summer is over. The options are either to re-enter competitors for each series or to plough through lists of people who may only have sailed once or twice. Would it be possible to have a database, similar to the handicap database, where people and boats that have been entered for previous series can be selected for subsequent series?
    Many Thanks
    Richard Kingsnorth

Simon Smith
simon@smith.net