2021-2024 US Sailing High Point Percentage scoring?

Hi Sailwave Community,

Might there be any plans to include US Sailing’s High Point Percentage Scoring formula for long series?

Our club is considering this and it would force me out of sailwave and into a different platform if it goes ahead.

Many thanks
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Firstly welcome to the Sailwave User Group forum.
Please can you give me a link to information on the US High Point Scoring formula?
Sailwave does have the capability of defining a custom scoring formula, so it might be possible to use it.

Update - I have found a link describing the formula - https://cdn.ussailing.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Scoring-a-Long-Series.pdf. Having read the wording, The Sailwave custom formula capability will snot core a series as defined. However, I do think it would be possible to use the Sailwave functionality to use an external Excel spreadsheet.

I am sure Jon the developer will correct me if I am mistaken on any points.

Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Andrew,
As I understand the US Sailing High Point system is extremely simple and is easily supported with Sailwave as it is currently
The section from their website at https://www.ussailing.org/competition/rules-officiating/racing-rules/scoring-a-long-series/ which is this

All you need for Sailwave I believe is

You would of course need to add the qualification profile as well
Let me know if this is what you want
Jon

From the US Sailing website.

https://cdn.ussailing.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Scoring-a-Long-Series.pdf

THE HIGH-POINT PERCENTAGE SCORING SYSTEM

1. RACES TO COUNT AND MINIMUM REQUIRED
    The series will consist of the following races _______________. To qualify for inclusion in the final series results a boat shall compete in (i.e., come to the starting area for) at least 75 percent of the races completed.1
    1 Note: The sailing instructions may state that a different percentage of races, or a minimum number of races, will be required.

2. RACE SCORES
    Define ‘N’ to be the number of boats that compete in a particular race. Each boat finishing that race and not thereafter retiring or being disqualified will be scored as follows:
    Finishing place
    First
    Second
    Third
    Fourth
    Each place thereafter
    Score
    N
    N-1
    N-2
    N-3
    Subtract 1 point
    All other boats that compete in that race, including any that finish and thereafter retire or are disqualified, will score 0 points. Boats that do not compete in that race (DNC) will not be scored.

3. SERIES SCORES
    The series score for each boat will be a percentage calculated as follows: divide the sum of her race scores by the sum of the points she would have scored if she had placed first in every race in which she competed; multiply the result by 100.2 The qualified boat with the highest series score is the winner, and others are ranked accordingly.
    2 Note: When one or more race scores are to be excluded, add: “Exclude her ___ worst score(s). An excluded race counts as a race to qualify a boat for a series score, but not as one of her scored races.”

4. TIES AND OTHER RULES
    Race ties will be handled using rule A7. Series ties will be broken using rule A8.1. Rules A1, A3, A5, A6, A10 and A11 also apply.

Hi Jon,
Sailwave can do the individual race high points. It is the series score that I do not think it can do, as it is a percentage of perfection calculation:
SERIES SCORES
The series score for each boat will be a percentage calculated as follows: divide the sum of her race scores by the sum of the points she would have scored if she had placed first in every race in which she competed; multiply the result by 100.
2 The qualified boat with the highest series score is the winner, and others are ranked accordingly.

2 Note: When one or more race scores are to be excluded, add: “Exclude her ___ worst score(s). An excluded race counts as a race to qualify a boat for a series score, but not as one of her scored races.”

Also DNC is ignored it has no points or involvement in the calculation.
Kind regards,
Huw

Hi All,

Thank you all for the discussion on this. The very purpose of the high point scoring system is for a long series, so accumulating the series score and handling the DNCs would be essential.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Jon has said he will look at building US Sailing High Point Percentage scoring in to Sailwave. No promises on when it might be available or even if it will be.

Kind regards,
Huw