64 bit compatibility

Can i ask the simple question about Sailwave and it’s associated apps ie SWLIST etc.

Are they all 64 bit compatible please ?.

As there appears to be a lot of forum chat associated with Crossover that many apps will stop working when OSX Catalina is available, which is the first OSX operating system which will not support 32bit apps.

Thanks

JohnW

Hi John

Sailwave is a Windows App - And like very many Windows Apps they are 32 bit apps but they run on Windows 64 bit operating systems such as Windows 10 64 bit as Windows 10 64 bit supports both 32 and 64 bit apps. This is a Mac issue.

Doing a quick Google the MacRumours site reports

As of right now, 32 bit Windows apps running with CrossOver will not run after Mojave. I have been in contact with Codeweaver support and they have promised to have a version of CrossOver ready before macOS 10.15.X that will have the ability to run Windows 32 bit apps. I too have a Windows 32 bit app that I can’t do without.

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Jon,

Thanks, i am 100% Mac and have Parallels operating on my main system so that i can use Sailwave and other Windows appls, i am not too concerned about this system.

However i have a MacBook Pro that i use Crossover, i use this system when i need to take the system “on the road” usually for events in the club that need the scores done as soon as racing is completed. It is this system that i cam concerned about. And yes the quote you referred to about Crossover having a system ready for the next OSX release has been used many times, but since then nobody can get any reasonable info out of Crossover on when this will be update will be released.

Thanks

JohnW

Hi John, Jon and Users of Sailwave on MacOS,

Like Jon, I have done a quick search of the Internet and from

everything I have seen so far Apple have removed from the kernel
of MacOS ‘Catalina’ the ability to run 32-bit applications.
Solutions are being investigated but nothing I have seen suggests
there will be a solution quickly or at all.

Quote from a WineHQ forum thread:

“* Right now if someone wants to use WINE they shouldn’t upgrade
past Mojave if you want to use Wine natively on macOS.*”

Bottom line for users of Sailwave on Apple systems using WINE,

Crossover or other solutions based on WINE, is to NOT upgrade to
MacOS ‘Catalina’. Sorry.

In the Linux world, Ubuntu recently made a similar announcement

about dropping support for 32-bit applications but have for now
backtracked after large community outcry.

Sorry that it is not more positive for users of Sailwave on Apple

MacOS systems.

Kind regards,

Huw

···

On 01/09/2019 23:32, Jon Eskdale
[sailwave] wrote:

jon@sailwave.com

Hi John

Sailwave is a Windows App - And like very many

Windows Apps they are 32 bit apps but they run on
Windows 64 bit operating systems such as Windows 10 64
bit as Windows 10 64 bit supports both 32 and 64 bit
apps. This is a Mac issue.

Doing a quick Google the MacRumours site reports

As

of right now, 32 bit Windows apps running with
CrossOver will not run after Mojave. I have been
in contact with Codeweaver support and they have
promised to have a version of CrossOver ready
before macOS 10.15.X that will have the ability
to run Windows 32 bit apps. I too have a Windows
32 bit app that I can’t do without.

Jon

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 at

07:43, ejwjohn@gmail.com
[sailwave] <sailwave@yahoogroups.com >
wrote:

Can i ask the simple question about

Sailwave and it’s associated apps ie SWLIST
etc.

Are they all 64 bit compatible please

?.

As there appears to be a lot of forum

chat associated with Crossover that many
apps will stop working when OSX Catalina is
available, which is the first OSX operating
system which will not support 32bit apps.

Thanks

JohnW

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Huw,

Thanks, when i said i was not to concerned about my parallels environment it will still be a bit of a pain as i now need to create another Virtual system to contain a 32 bit friendly version of MAC OSX.

Let me ask, what is the financial exposure to generate Sailwave as a 64 bit app, as all the indication are from the industry it will happen in the future whether we like it or not and several security firms state that for security alone 64 bit apps are more secure.

Maybe its time that Sailwave is no longer a free app, perhaps it time we paid our way ??

Thoughts??

JohnW

All,

Let me just chime in here to say that supporting 32bit Windows apps via virtualisation on a 64bit only version of macOS is a very difficult technical problem. I would not be shocked if none of the virtualisation companies consider it commercially worth their while given that most Windows apps are now 64bit anyway.

For those which are not 64bit, the relatively simple (albeit inconvenient) solution for Mac users is to maintain a legacy partition running macOS 10.14 (Mojave) when they upgrade to 10.15 (Catalina). Of course, at that point you have to reboot to get to the other version of the macOS so it might just be easier to have a Windows partition and boot in to that.

Ian

···

On 2 Sep 2019, at 07:50, ejwjohn@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Huw,

Thanks, when i said i was not to concerned about my parallels environment it will still be a bit of a pain as i now need to create another Virtual system to contain a 32 bit friendly version of MAC OSX.

Let me ask, what is the financial exposure to generate Sailwave as a 64 bit app, as all the indication are from the industry it will happen in the future whether we like it or not and several security firms state that for security alone 64 bit apps are more secure.

Maybe its time that Sailwave is no longer a free app, perhaps it time we paid our way ??

Thoughts??

JohnW

Ian,

You are correct as i stated in an earlier post for me to overcome this issue i have to have a pre Catalina Virtual image and operate Windows within that.

But surely as MAC’s are becoming far more popular and you see their use increasing, isn’t our solution here just a temporary sticking plaster.

Surely at some point the reality will have to be faced…

Thanks

JohnW

Are macs becoming more popular.

I do not know how you cope without a touch screen

Mike

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com sailwave@yahoogroups.com on behalf of ejwjohn@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, September 2, 2019 9:16:28 AM
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sailwave] Re: 64 bit compatibility

Ian,

You are correct as i stated in an earlier post for me to overcome this issue i have to have a pre Catalina Virtual image and operate Windows within that.

But surely as MAC’s are becoming far more popular and you see their use increasing, isn’t our solution here just a temporary sticking plaster.

Surely at some point the reality will have to be faced…

Thanks

JohnW

Hi John,

If you look at the figures for OS Market share

https://netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?options=%7B%22filter%22%3A%7B%22%24and%22%3A%5B%7B%22deviceType%22%3A%7B%22%24in%22%3A%5B%22Desktop%2Flaptop%22%5D%7D%7D%5D%7D%2C%22dateLabel%22%3A%22Trend%22%2C%22attributes%22%3A%22share%22%2C%22group%22%3A%22platform%22%2C%22sort%22%3A%7B%22share%22%3A-1%7D%2C%22id%22%3A%22platformsDesktop%22%2C%22dateInterval%22%3A%22Monthly%22%2C%22dateStart%22%3A%222018-09%22%2C%22dateEnd%22%3A%222019-08%22%2C%22segments%22%3A%22-1000%22%7D

There is no real increase in Mac OS in the last year in fact at January 2019 Mac OS market share was 10.59 it is now 9.68% compared to 87.89% for windows. Which means for every Mac there are more than 9 Windows machines.

My portable Laptop a Windows HP Folio £1399

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=5ES85EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB&bid=DYN_BUNDLE_0003818_5ES85EA_ABU&lang=en-GB&gclid=CjwKCAjw-7LrBRB6EiwAhh1yX6ujagiU9L5qSHoxhGK9oENCIhkvEA_9HPcr3npKD_LLeuLbjiZPBhoC3I0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I wonldn’t swap for a Mac - It is light and portable and fast with long batery life - Touch screen with Pen and Face ID. Built in 4G

Back on topic. I’m not really sure what the fascination of 64 bit apps really is. OK if your creating a new operating system you probably would create a 64 bit OS. But 64 bit apps themselves only really make sense if you need a lot of memory for the single app. 64 bit apps doesn’t mean it’s going to be faster or better in anyway unless it can use and needs a lot of memory, 4GB being the limit of 32 bit apps wich is more than ample for Sailwave. A 64 bit app will inherently be bigger and use more disk space and take longer to load than its 32 bit equivalent. Just do a comparison of the 32 bit versions and 64 bit versions yourself for the same product.

Sailwave is written in Clarion and there is no 64 bit compiler available for Clarion currently. So even if you were to fund a few thousand it would not help. Neither is there currently a 64 bit compiler available for the language that many of the add-ons such as the NHC calculator is written in. There is a 64 bit alternative which it could be ported to with quite a bit of effort but this language results in a very much slower operation. So why even think about it.

One solution if you are prepared to pay a small amount - although you can probably get a free first year is a Cloud hosted Desktop. This is a Windows or Linux machine in the cloud and can be accessed from any PC - So you can access it from you Mac or Windows or Linux or even your iPad assuming you have an internet connection at any time. There are many offerings but Microsoft offer one on Azure and Amazon offer them on AWS.

Another which won’t cost you anything if you have an old PC or Mac that is at home and then remote access this using remotedesktop.google.com which is wonderful and free. You could even configure the PC/Mac to switch on remotely with WakeonLan

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Jon,

Thanks for the info,

I feel a real poor relation on this subject and will go to the “back of the class”

Hi John,
Sorry it wasn’t meant that way - I hope you found some of the suggestions possible to make it easier for you. I was just trying to show what is available and why it is what it is. I appreciate there are users who like their Macs and I’m trying to support them. Personally I don’t understand why Apple would want to inconvenience all the customers to such a large degree when they currently have a working solution. I’m only guessing in that they a heading towards moving from Intel processors to their own processor using an ARM architecture. But this will cause many more compatibility issues but would make their job a lot easier.

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Jon,

No problems… yes experienced Mac users see the Arm development coming sooner rather than later.

JohnW

As an update …

My confident assumption that what i have been reading on the Parallels web site etc was actually true and accurate, turns out not to be.

Within Parallels settings there is an option to enable VM Nesting, which was the basis for my belief that if i wanted to run a VM under Catalina with say a Mojave OSX configured then i could run Windows VM within that environment to run 32 bit apps.

Alas NOT So, you cannot nest VM’s to run 32 bit apps any longer apparently…

So a rethink is needed on this whole subject of how to run Sailwave when you are a Mac User who likes to keep up to date with software etc.

Thank You

JohnW