64 bit compatibility

As a life-long Apple user I am frankly horrified at losing access to Sailwave on this platform - I too had thought that Parallels would get me around the change. At the moment the best I can do is to refuse the ‘upgrade’ when it comes along but that is not a long term solution. I am not in a position to move to Windows so just don’t know what to do. Any positive suggestions would be most welcome.

Steve Vyse

Hello,

Just to let you know i missed a call from Parallels Support about an hour ago, they sent me an email to explain they wish to talk to me about my issue, and again are suggesting that what i want to do can be achieved.

However i going to wait until they call me back, hopefully today and we discuss again what i want to do.

I will keep you informed.

JohnW

Update,

OK, after more emails and yet another support ticket raised and more phone calls from Parallels Support.

They decided to elevate it up the technical Support chain, and today i have received a written confirmation that Parallels version 15 operating as a VM on Catalina OSX WILL allow 32 bit Windows apps to operate.

Thank Goodness for that.

JohnW

Hi,
I have had confirmation from Codweavers that they will be shortly updating Crossover to allow 32 bit apps to work.

Redders

···

On 10 Sep 2019, at 18:51, ejwjohn@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Update,

OK, after more emails and yet another support ticket raised and more phone calls from Parallels Support.

They decided to elevate it up the technical Support chain, and today i have received a written confirmation that Parallels version 15 operating as a VM on Catalina OSX WILL allow 32 bit Windows apps to operate.

Thank Goodness for that.

JohnW

Hi,

Hopefully Codeweavers will pass back to WINE

Huw

···

On 10/09/2019 18:25, Mark Reddington
[sailwave] wrote:

mark_reddington@hotmail.com

Hi,

I have had confirmation from Codweavers that they will

be shortly updating Crossover to allow 32 bit apps to
work.

Redders

Sent from my iPhone

On 10 Sep 2019, at 18:51, ejwjohn@gmail.com
            [sailwave] <sailwave@yahoogroups.com                >

wrote:

Update,

OK, after more emails and yet another support

ticket raised and more phone calls from Parallels
Support.

They decided to elevate it up the technical

Support chain, and today i have received a written
confirmation that Parallels version 15 operating
as a VM on Catalina OSX WILL allow 32 bit Windows
apps to operate.

Thank Goodness for that.

JohnW

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Huw,

Just seen a post response on the Crossover forum indicating Crossover to announce a solution also.

JohnW

There is a Crossover blog that explains what challenges they faced with the Catalina release and how they intend to progress, it is worth a read… it is here

https://www.codeweavers.com/about/blogs/jschmid/2019/9/10/so-we-dont-have-a-solution-for-catalinayet

and you can subscribe to the updates.

JohnW

Hi,

As well as doing a 32bit mode switch on every call, there are some fundamental differences in the way that key CPU registers are used between 32bit Windows executables and 64bit macOS.

I’m not saying it can’t be done (I’m sure it can) but I am skeptical that it will prove commercially viable or will be robust and performant.

If anyone ever gets this working, please report back as I would love to be proved wrong.

Ian

···

On 10 Sep 2019, at 10:51 pm, ejwjohn@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

There is a Crossover blog that explains what challenges they faced with the Catalina release and how they intend to progress, it is worth a read… it is here

https://www.codeweavers.com/about/blogs/jschmid/2019/9/10/so-we-dont-have-a-solution-for-catalinayet

and you can subscribe to the updates.

JohnW

All,

Update on Catalina and 32 bit windows apps.

Just updated one of my systems to Catalina, and with the latest version of Parallels i can run Windows 32 bit app OK, Sailwave still useable on the latest MAC OS with Parallels.

Crossover is not there yet but are committing to have an upgrade to allow 32 bit apps to work

Thx

JohnW

Thanks John for the update - I’ve updated the page on the Sailwave site to reflect this information.

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233