Aliasing

I have seen reference to aliasing in some write-ups …

I am a new user, and have successfully entered last year’s results in Sailwave and made it work (not necessarily elegantly - I am still learning by trial and error), and I think aliasing would help me.

We have a 22-race season for PHRF keelboats at our club. There are several 4-race, 1 drop series during the season (June through September), plus a number of individual trophy races. There is also a season-long ‘class championship’ of 22 races with 6 discards. I think that aliasing would allow me to build the 4-race series and the trophy races as series, and then alias the individual races into the season-long class championship series, to avoid double-entry of race results.

1. Is my understanding correct? If so, how do I do it?

2. If correct, would it be better to go in the other direction? i.e., build the 22 race series first and alias towards the 4-race series and individual races.

Warren Nethercote

St Margaret Sailing Club

Nova Scotia

I find aliasing most use with dual scoring with different handicapping systems or where classes need to be scored separately. Maybe there’s something I haven’t spotted, but I’m not sure how much it would help with your problem.

But in any case isn’t having various short series which are subsets of the main series more easily handled by entering everything into the 22 race series, and then, when required, doing a “save as” to a new file name for the short series and simply deleting the races that are not part of the short series?

Jim C

Hi Warren - Welcome to Sailwave.

If I understand correctly your situation correctly

I would be inclined to do each series as a separate file and then create an overall series by adding the series to an overall series file using the File - Merge options

Inline images 1

As you can see this is a very flexible merge and is the way I do it myself. After each event I then merge the event into the series file so there is no re-entering of results. Alias are great if you want to produce results for the same boat scored in a different method.

Jon

···

On 8 March 2016 at 16:08, Warren Nethercote wnethercote@eastlink.ca [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

I have seen reference to aliasing in some write-ups …

I am a new user, and have successfully entered last year’s results in Sailwave and made it work (not necessarily elegantly - I am still learning by trial and error), and I think aliasing would help me.

We have a 22-race season for PHRF keelboats at our club. There are several 4-race, 1 drop series during the season (June through September), plus a number of individual trophy races. There is also a season-long ‘class championship’ of 22 races with 6 discards. I think that aliasing would allow me to build the 4-race series and the trophy races as series, and then alias the individual races into the season-long class championship series, to avoid double-entry of race results.

1. Is my understanding correct? If so, how do I do it?
  1. If correct, would it be better to go in the other direction? i.e., build the 22 race series first and alias towards the 4-race series and individual races.

Warren Nethercote

St Margaret Sailing Club

Nova Scotia

Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

Thank you John,

I had a quick look at merging and I think it will be the better approach. Now I need to do a dry run on last year’s results.

Warren

Warren,

Just seen your post.

We have a series of Open meetings with maybe six races per. I then

need to take the results from each open and put them into an
overall series. You can see them here.
I use the Merge series facility in Sailwave as shown below. You
may have to experiment a bit to get the right merge option.
Our SI allows the helm’s results in each open to carry forward
into the overall, whatever boat was sailed. Hence I only matched
the helm. Once I had established the right merge option the only
problem was where the helm’s name had been spelt differently!
Ian Frogley

···

http://www.2000class.org/content_topic.asp?c=results&GET_ID=3450

On 08/03/2016 16:08, Warren Nethercote

[sailwave] wrote:

wnethercote@eastlink.ca

I have seen reference to aliasing in some

write-ups …

I am a new user, and have successfully

entered last year’s results in Sailwave and made it work (not
necessarily elegantly - I am still learning by trial and
error), and I think aliasing would help me.

We have a 22-race season for PHRF keelboats

at our club. There are several 4-race, 1 drop series during
the season (June through September), plus a number of
individual trophy races. There is also a season-long ‘class
championship’ of 22 races with 6 discards. I think that
aliasing would allow me to build the 4-race series and the
trophy races as series, and then alias the individual races
into the season-long class championship series, to avoid
double-entry of race results.

1.  Is my understanding correct?   If  so,

how do I do it?

2.  If correct, would it be better to go in

the other direction? i.e., build the 22 race series first and
alias towards the 4-race series and individual races.

Warren Nethercote

St Margaret Sailing Club

Nova Scotia