Back again....

Having escaped the results office for a year or so, I’m back for a cruiser-racer championships, and have a couple of unrelated questions:

1. Plan is to publish via FTP to the event website. However, I’m struggling to get FTP to work. Publish to Sailwave folder works OK, and FTP to the event website via a browser works OK (so FTP userid / pwd verified), but FTP from sailwave gives “Cannot connect to ftp://”. I’ve tried with/without passive. I have it in the back of my mind from some years ago that there is another option elsewhere in Sailwave that affects this - sound familiar to anyone, or am I just losing the old marbles?

2. Event is multi-class, multi-handicap, so I’ll be using Aliases. It’s a while since I’ve done this and wondering if there are any updates to the competitor import function that allows import of alias info. e.g. on a single line competitor A is in ‘Class 0 - Scratch’ with handicap 1.000, and aliased to ‘Class 0 - IRC’ with handicap 1.013.

Thanks, Ian.

Hi Ian,

1. FTP The only thing you should need to set up is the global options

image.png

Try putting the IP address in the Server field - This will eliminate one thing

If you have the Server IP address correct and the Username and Password

You should get passed the first stage.

You can use NSLookup at a command prompt to find the ip address if you don’t know it.

1. For Aliases there is now the new competitor aliasing

image.png

So you can create all the aliases

Then use the Tools set competitor field to set the Fleet/Class so the only thing you need to enter manually is the ratings

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Isn’t there something that ftp to a website takes you to a top level
directory, but results, etc. have to go to a (writable)
sub-directory ?

···
regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Rondevlei, South Africa
   On 2019-06-03 17:06,

[sailwave] wrote:

Having escaped the results office for a year or so, I'm

back for a cruiser-racer championships, and have a couple
of unrelated questions:

1. Plan is to publish via FTP to the event website.

However, I’m struggling to get FTP to work. Publish to
Sailwave folder works OK, and FTP to the event website via
a browser works OK (so FTP userid / pwd verified), but FTP
from sailwave gives “Cannot connect to
ftp://”. I’ve tried with/without
passive. I have it in the back of my mind from some years
ago that there is another option elsewhere in Sailwave
that affects this - sound familiar to anyone, or am I just
losing the old marbles?

2. Event is multi-class, multi-handicap, so I'll be

using Aliases. It’s a while since I’ve done this and
wondering if there are any updates to the competitor
import function that allows import of alias info. e.g. on
a single line competitor A is in ‘Class 0 - Scratch’ with
handicap 1.000, and aliased to ‘Class 0 - IRC’ with
handicap 1.013.

Thanks, Ian.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

shindilla@yahoo.com

Jon,

Thanks. Converting the domain name to an IP address worked perfectly. FTP issue fixed!

On Aliases, given my Excel entry sheet has both handicaps listed against each boat, it strikes me that a slightly quicker way is to

• duplicate all entries in the Excel sheet (e.g. 100 rows becomes 200 rows)

• Change class names of the duplicates (e.g. change ‘Class 0 - Scratch’ to ‘Class 0 IRC’ for duplicates in that class

• Bulk copy the appropriate handicaps in each section to a single ‘rating’ column

• Import into Sailwave

• Link the Aliases, with no data updates required.

Thanks, Ian.

—In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, <jon@…> wrote :

Hi Ian,

1. FTP The only thing you should need to set up is the global options

image.png

Try putting the IP address in the Server field - This will eliminate one thing

If you have the Server IP address correct and the Username and Password

You should get passed the first stage.

You can use NSLookup at a command prompt to find the ip address if you don’t know it.

1. For Aliases there is now the new competitor aliasing

image.png

So you can create all the aliases

Then use the Tools set competitor field to set the Fleet/Class so the only thing you need to enter manually is the ratings

Jon

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

···

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 16:09, shindilla@… [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Having escaped the results office for a year or so, I’m back for a cruiser-racer championships, and have a couple of unrelated questions:

1. Plan is to publish via FTP to the event website. However, I’m struggling to get FTP to work. Publish to Sailwave folder works OK, and FTP to the event website via a browser works OK (so FTP userid / pwd verified), but FTP from sailwave gives “Cannot connect to ftp://”. I’ve tried with/without passive. I have it in the back of my mind from some years ago that there is another option elsewhere in Sailwave that affects this - sound familiar to anyone, or am I just losing the old marbles?
  1. Event is multi-class, multi-handicap, so I’ll be using Aliases. It’s a while since I’ve done this and wondering if there are any updates to the competitor import function that allows import of alias info. e.g. on a single line competitor A is in ‘Class 0 - Scratch’ with handicap 1.000, and aliased to ‘Class 0 - IRC’ with handicap 1.013.

Thanks, Ian.

Hi Ian,
My only comment is that in your suggestion you have to manually link the Aliases.

So I guess it depends which you think is easier manually linking the Aliases or the manual entry of rating for the Alias

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Not sure whether this will help you, but I have an annual task of importing competitors from a spreadsheet that includes two handicaps, one of which needs to be set on an alias.
What I do is to set the second handicap on an unused field when I do the import. I then create aliases for everyone, and use set competitor with alias <>0 to set the handicap to the value stored in the alternative field, so I don't have to set the handicaps manually.

Jim C

Nice idea Jim - that should work well

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233