Best way to archive year's racing results

How can I archive past year’s racing results so people can look up in coming year or years?

Hi Robert,

The answer is it depends. Are you just referring to the published results, the Sailwave .BLW file or both.

If your club / class has its own website where the published results are, then I would suggest that they are stored on it in an appropriately agreed folder structure. Once the results are in the appropriate structure then build links to them in the club / class website. This is what a lot of users already do.

If the results are published to the Sailwave website, then the results will only be available for a period of time which is dependent on the usage of space by the results published.

We all tend to rely on electronic storage these days but electronics is prone to problems, therefore having the results in separate multiple locations and backed up somewhere is a very sensible precaution. Printing copies of the results and storing in paper form is also a solution.

I look forward to more information to hopefully be able to better advise you.
Kind regards,
Huw

Thanks for the advice. How long do the files stay on Saileave on average?
Bob

Hi Bob,

Usually at least 4 yrs - But I will delete the old ones so as to keep the performance good for the newer results.
The easy way to host them is in the Sailwave results folder but you can of course host them anywhere you wish
You can host them on your own website or there are some free static page hostings around but they tend to be slow or difficult to use. There would be nothing stopping you from hosting them on a Google Firebase static site for free although it’s not the simplest.

Jon

We put all results in the same folder on our cub web site. There is a little php file there (creatively known as “dir.php”) that looks at the HTML file headers and extracts the title of the event, and displays it in a table.

Looks like this https://www.vallartayachtclub.org/race/dir.php

It’s not perfect, but it’s easier to look though than just trying to work it out from a file list.

Andy