Bug in sailwave

When using enter results using the sail number wizard did not work after I entered an rs areo 9 sail number it just would not let me press finish. I used elapsed time and number of laps, but it would not go passed that screen even when I pressed finish.

Way round this bug was to click the race in the main screen and enter the elapsed time and number of laps that way.
when will a fix be issued for this bug. I can email my race series so you can check it if required.

Hi David,
Welcome back to the Sailwave User Group.

I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem entering finish sheet data using the Sail Number Wizard.

If you could send me the Sailwave file by email to huw@sailwave.com together with a copy of your finish sheet I will take a look and reply.

Kind regards,
Huw

thought I’d test out sailwave again. and i found this bug. will send via email

Hi David,

I suspect there is a good reason why it wouldn’t let you press the finish button - was the finish button showing as disabled (dimmed out)
But without knowing the full details it is hard to comment constructively.
If you have some screenshots, and it would be helpful to see the Sailwave file if possible, either share it here if appropriate or email me a jon@sailwave.com
I will be happy to advise

The finish button was not disabled. I managed to bypass the wizard by going to the main screen and clicking on each race and entering the results that way. So it has to be a sail number wizard bug or it would not have let me enter the data another way. I have sent my sailwave file for the race series to sailwave. Hope they can figure it out cause I can’t.

Found out the problem the sail number wizard needs to have decimal in order to work so 4373.00 will work but 4373 did not for some reason. We use elapsed time as second and that could be the reason it does not like whole numbers. in the sail number wizard. for elapsed time.

So to get it to work properly and get the results that are correct I have to type the elapsed time as a decimal. like 4373.00, not a hardship, but thought sailforms would of mentioned that. Oh well you live and learn.

Hi David

I see you have just posted that you have recognised the error
if you see this page on the Sailwave site it might help Elapsed time extensions for sailno wizard | Sailwave
When using seconds for elapsed time the easyway to enter them into the Sailno Wizard is to preceded them with a +
If you enter them as 4 digits it will take it as Mins:Seconds and automatically insert the : for you, this makes it much quicker to enter times with the Sailno Wizard
If you enter by manually entering the times then the formatting is your responsibility and a 4-digit number will be taken as seconds, and if you add the : then it will be Mins:Secs

This is the reason you could not press the finish because you had entered a number greater than 59 seconds

You have the configured the starts to be recorded by place and I presume you are manually overriding this each time you enter a result
The simple way is to configure the starts to be scored by elapsed time
e.g.

you have also created a lot of races with no results yet it is much easier to create the races as they occur.
The starts will then automatically be copied from the last race
You can manually copy them with the Copy Starts

You also have competitors created with no details you either need to delete them or mark them as excluded as it will give the wrong points for DNC etc

I also note that you have entered the some of the times from the edit result without a separator

Hope that helps

Jon

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377
07530 112233

Surely sailforms should have should have thrown up this as an error and given a solution. Not to worry thanks for your help

Sailwave did beep at you with an error and refused to accept the data the same as it would if you entered an invalid Sailwave number. The sail number wizard is optimised for quick entry of many results that are being entered normally via a numeric keyboard.

Regards

Jon

It didn’t refuse all entries, only one and allowed other input methods decimal point. What it should of done was throw up an error message with the correct way of entering elapsed time… How ever in main sailforms window you could still enter the elapsed time as I entered it. So that indicates a bug either in the wizard or the main form. Not to worry I now know correct way to enter elapsed time, but others might not and maybe a warning showing how to enter elapsed time would be the answer.