Can you build a 64bit image - please?l

Hi,

It is now getting close to impossible to install Wine32 on many newer linux distro’s - it is possible you can bow start building as 64 bit images. I can’t imagine many people are on 32bit Windows.

Alan

1 Like

Hi Alan,

I have had no problems installing WINE32 on my recent installs of Linux Mint & openSUSE Tumbleweed. Which Linux distribution are you using?

Caveat to the following - it is to the best of my knowledge and I am not the person who develops/codes Sailwave.

The application, Clarion, used to develop Sailwave currently only supports the generation of 32-bit applications. The latest Clarion developer conference was hosted in Capetown, South Africa in October 2022. During the conference it was stated the ‘Future Features’ for Clarion will include support for the generation of 64-bit applications but there has been no timescale given for this.

Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Alan

Sorry I did see your post while I was working on something else then forgot to reply. Huw’s answer just reminded me. As Huw says it is not possible to generate 64 bit applications with Clarion. There is no need for it to be a 64 bit. Even some of Microsoft’s own programs are 32 bit. Also bear in mind that any upgrades to the compiler cost me a $1000 so even if it was possible would people want to post towards it.

I’ve heard no other problems with running 32 bit apps on wine

Jon

That is a shame it is not possible.

Honestly wine-32 is extremely difficult to install on some distos - I’m not making it up.

Description: KDE neon 5.26
Release: 22.04

Hi Alan,
Could you please could you confirm which Linux distribution you are using so I can do some testing? I am guessing from the 22.04 that it is Ubuntu with the KDE desktop.

I have quite installed easily by following a guide on the Internet installed WINE on Ubuntu with Gnome desktop.

I will try the KDE version in a VM and see if same install of WINE process works in same way.

FYI - i have Sailwave v2-29-6 running on the following systems and I use them all:
Windows 10
openSUSE ‘Tumbleweed’ with WINE 7.21
openSUSE Leap 15 with WINE 6
Linux Mint with WINE 7

The two of the guides I used were
https://linuxhint.com/install_wine_-ubuntu_20-24/

Ubuntu with WINE 7

Kind regards,
Huw

TLDR: I have it working now

Essentially a recent KDE neon broke dependencies on some 32bit libraries that are used by wine32 which is a dependency of wine when 32 bit architecture enabled and seem not fixable / installable.

However I found a KDE Neon tutorial that recommended installing WINEHQ rather that WINE.

After removing WINE and installing WINEHQ Sailwave now functions again on my KDE Neon machine.

( most of this tutorial worked https://technixleo.com/install-and-use-wine-on-kde-neon-kubuntu/ )

Huw,

What distro? KDE Neon

KDE neon uses the foundation of the latest Ubuntu LTS (20.04).

Alan,

Thank you and I have learnt something :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Huw

Installed on Mint 21 Cinnamon (based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS), I am using Playonlinux and all is installing and working flawlessly.

1 Like

Hi Walter,

Sorry that is not possible as Sailwave is built using Clarion which doesn’t currently allow 64 bit applications only 32 bit

Regards

Jon

Jon, misunderstanding!
In my installations Sailwave is working flawlessly as 32bit application on a 64bit Linux. I just used Playonlinux as front-end to Wine. Just to tell there is no architecture problems with newest Linux distribution.