can you have a helm sailing different class of boat in the same

We score on classes, but do allow Lasers, Aeros etc to change rig size (max 2 rigs). We don’t however like you, use the ‘first race sailed’ PN. That would allow someone to start race 1 in an Aero5 and any subsequent races use a 9 with the 5 PN ! We use the fastest of the two rigs used. We also rescore all sailed races with that faster (lower) PN. The idea being that for instance in the Laser the full rig is used mostly and in breeze the use of the Radial is equivalent to reefing - and allows some to sail who otherwise wouldn’t or couldn’t. They gain the ability to sail ( our aim) and in some comparative degree of control, but shouldn’t however gain on PN as well.
For consistency, it’s applied retrospectively if it happens the other way around.

Keith Escritt

Yorkshire Dales SC

Agree Keith.

It was my error when I stated the PYN from the first race would be used. Like you, it is the fastest (lowest) PYN that is used if they change sails/rigs throughout a series.

···

On 7 Sep 2019, at 12:17, Keith E escritt@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

We score on classes, but do allow Lasers, Aeros etc to change rig size (max 2 rigs). We don’t however like you, use the ‘first race sailed’ PN. That would allow someone to start race 1 in an Aero5 and any subsequent races use a 9 with the 5 PN ! We use the fastest of the two rigs used. We also rescore all sailed races with that faster (lower) PN. The idea being that for instance in the Laser the full rig is used mostly and in breeze the use of the Radial is equivalent to reefing - and allows some to sail who otherwise wouldn’t or couldn’t. They gain the ability to sail ( our aim) and in some comparative degree of control, but shouldn’t however gain on PN as well.
For consistency, it’s applied retrospectively if it happens the other way around.

Keith Escritt

Yorkshire Dales SC

Hi,

Allowing rig changing is fine if all of the classes in the fleet have multi-rig options but seems very unfair when racing against classes who don’t have that option and have to race overpowered.

Ian

···

On 7 Sep 2019, at 11:49 am, Brian Starr brian.starr@virgin.net [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Agree Keith.

It was my error when I stated the PYN from the first race would be used. Like you, it is the fastest (lowest) PYN that is used if they change sails/rigs throughout a series.

Sent from my iPhone

On 7 Sep 2019, at 12:17, Keith E escritt@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Keith Escritt

Yorkshire Dales SC

As was mentioned earlier, some boats have the ability to reef, and thus still being able to sail under a full PYN without having to amend their PYN for that particular race within the series.

···

On 7 Sep 2019, at 19:04, Ian Bullock ian_bullock@me.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi,

Allowing rig changing is fine if all of the classes in the fleet have multi-rig options but seems very unfair when racing against classes who don’t have that option and have to race overpowered.

Ian

On 7 Sep 2019, at 11:49 am, Brian Starr brian.starr@virgin.net [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Agree Keith.

Sent from my iPhone

Keith Escritt

Yorkshire Dales SC

Allowing rig changing is fine if all of the classes in
the fleet have multi-rig options

Theoretically the vast majority of measurement controlled classes can have multi rigs since it is rarely prohibited to have undersized sails and often legal to have undersized spars too.

Go back to the 30s and it was a commonplace to use small sails in big wind. What has really changed in recent years is an acceptance that buying multiple rigs is normal .

JimC