Can you set a class by the age of the helm

THE club will be running a series of Dinghy races over the coming week and rather than have multiple starts, the idea would be to have a large fleet of DInghies, then allow Sailwave to create a Class to reach 1st 2nd and 3rd for a number of boats that are helmed by say people under 18.

Of course we could site down and create all this manually, but thought there maybe some cleaver way with Sailwave to do this?

Just a thought

JohnW

Hi John,

I may have the wrong end of the stick here, If you a looking to create a prize table for say the top 3 or 5 under 18’s then take a look at the Prize button in the ribbon or setup menu, Select new and then edit.

From here you can select the helms to be considered for the prize, you will need to have a field/s to select from maybe age /age group or could just select a group of classes, Opie / topper etc or Fleet, very flexible. Don’t forget to select the number if prizes, ie 3 for top 3, The table does not include scores but it is very handy. We use it to pull out top 3 in various classes / fleets in a single series.

Keith

Hi John,

OR

If you do required an additional full table with results for the subset of competitors.

1. Just publish results twice.

one scored all competitors as one fleet

Publish

The Score by group.

Publish again only select the group you want results for.

Or Use competitor aliasing

eg

Turn on competitor aliasing in USER INTERFACE

Create Aliases EDIT New Competitor Alias,

the set a field of the required aliased competitors is a new Fleet, Youth

That way when you publish, you can have 2 rull results tables 1 for all and 1 for aliased competitors.

There are more details posts regarding competitor aliasing, its a great tool.

Keith

Keith

Thanks for both your suggestions, I use Competitor Aliasing so used to that.

I will investigate your ideas further thank you, as i said we can revert to manuall wwork, but thought there maybe another smarter way to do it, I also thought of using the Set Field menu option but haven’t investigated that fully at this time.

Thanks Again

JohnW

—In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, <keithsykes69@…> wrote :

Hi John,
OR

If you do required an additional full table with results for the subset of competitors.

1. Just publish results twice.

one scored all competitors as one fleet

Publish

The Score by group.

Publish again only select the group you want results for.

Or Use competitor aliasing

eg

Turn on competitor aliasing in USER INTERFACE

Create Aliases EDIT New Competitor Alias,

the set a field of the required aliased competitors is a new Fleet, Youth

That way when you publish, you can have 2 rull results tables 1 for all and 1 for aliased competitors.

There are more details posts regarding competitor aliasing, its a great tool.

Keith

Keith,

I think what is being asked for is something like:
If (Age < 25) then Class="Youth"
···
regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Rondevlei, South Africa
   On 2019-08-16 07:37,

[sailwave] wrote:

Hi John,

I may have the wrong end of the stick here, If you a

looking to create a prize table for say the top 3 or 5
under 18’s then take a look at the Prize button in the
ribbon or setup menu, Select new and then edit.

From here you can select the helms to be considered for

the prize, you will need to have a field/s to select from
maybe age /age group or could just select a group of
classes, Opie / topper etc or Fleet, very flexible.
Don’t forget to select the number if prizes, ie 3 for top
3, The table does not include scores but it is very
handy. We use it to pull out top 3 in various classes /
fleets in a single series.

Keith

Virus-free. www.avast.com

keithsykes69@yahoo.com

Malcolm,

Yes exactly, but where can you insert a formula like that into Sailwave?

Thanks

JohnW

Tools | Set Competitor Field

As I recall… you can use an expression to target the competitors that will have the field changed.

···

Cheers,

Colin J

http://coastalchalet.co.uk

https://flickr.com/photos/colintomjenkins/albums

Hi John,

I would want to see exactly what the SI's say before offering the

a considered solution.

One needs to be careful on intent, because the answer could

depend on that. For example are results for say U18 to be
extracted from the overall series without re-scoring or are they
to be re-scored. Depending on the answer the overall results could
change. I know because I have had it happen to me at an Optimist
event!

From what you have said and been suggested by others who have

already replied, the simplest option is to ‘tag’ competitors in
for example the AgeGroup field or Division field. Sailwave has a
built-in Prize functionality which can then pick out 1, 2 & 3
for example against criteria. There is also Jon’s external Prize
utility which has a bit more functionality.

All best in sorting out your prize winners.

Kind regards,

Huw

···

On 15/08/2019 16:08, [sailwave] wrote:

ejwjohn@gmail.com

THE club will be running a series of Dinghy races

over the coming week and rather than have multiple
starts, the idea would be to have a large fleet of
DInghies, then allow Sailwave to create a Class to reach
1st 2nd and 3rd for a number of boats that are helmed
by say people under 18.

Of course we could site down and create all this

manually, but thought there maybe some cleaver way with
Sailwave to do this?

Just a thought

JohnW

I would look at creating fleets by age groups then score by fleet

Sent Using the Huawei Mate P20 pro

···

On 15/08/2019 16:08, [sailwave] wrote:

ejwjohn@gmail.com

THE club will be running a series of Dinghy races

over the coming week and rather than have multiple
starts, the idea would be to have a large fleet of
DInghies, then allow Sailwave to create a Class to reach
1st 2nd and 3rd for a number of boats that are helmed
by say people under 18.

Of course we could site down and create all this

manually, but thought there maybe some cleaver way with
Sailwave to do this?

Just a thought

JohnW

All,

Apologies, we have had one of our scheduled power outages here in South West Ireland so just getting back on line and catching up.

Thank you for those that recommended Fleets and Divisions, and Colin who mentioned the formula, but i tried to do that and all it did was put the formula in the field i was selecting… so i have some learning to do on that score.

Huw,

Yes it would be great to get our juniors to write NOR’s and SI’s we have just got them on the page or writing NOR’s and SI’s will hopefully come next year. The Club is keen to encourage ownership of organising races, and associated racing docs, to the groups that are most likely to be involved, within the club 90% of dinghies are sailed by our “junior” members… it is part of the learning process we hope.

So there are no SI’s, and the Senior instructors are taking the lead in organising the event and it is their idea to have fewer starts but score racing “Groups” within a single start…

At registration, the participant will be added to the entry list and the helm age will be included, it is at this point that someone has to decide which Fleet, Division or Class they are to be included in, and rather than get different views from people that may not be sailing we were hoping to “Automate” it within Sailwave.

As i indicated, this can be done manually but that would need a “knowledgable” person to make the decision, we were hoping to cut out that possible point of confusion.

Apologies for the lengthy response.

Once again thanks

JohnW

This may help

Once all entries in Sailwave.

Tools Set Competitor Field

Select Competitors – eg HelmAgeGroup>15

Filed to change Division

Set Value Over 15

Complete for each age group

If you also want a set of combined results.

With Alias’s enabled

Edit – New Competitor Aliasing

Drop Down – ALL Competitors OK

Tools Set Competitor Field

Select Competitors – eg Alias>0

Filed to change Division

Set Value Combined

You will now have competitors in their own age Division and
a combined one.

Score by Division

Keith,

OK, Thank You for this i will take a look at that

JohnW

Hi Buy way if introduction to this group I am tied up/involved with Radio sailing in Australia and am looking out for scoring systems that meet ages sorting .

I also happen to be the Secretary /Registrar of the Australian DF Radio Sailing Assn.

My question is how to easily/seamlessly score a race within a race!

Say running a regatta with all entrants sailing by class of yacht in my case DF 65 and DF 95 race series AND have the results output of one sheet for overall winners( as happens with HMSand Sailwave software) then additional race results for say each age related sub groups perhaps called Masters ( if an age is say between 60 and 69 ) or Grand Masters ( say 70 to 79 )etc. It is not practical to run seperate races for each age group (not enough volunteers)

I reckon an extra input for age if so nominated by entrant on entry form . This would be referenced by a user defined group by name say or Under 16 yrs /Grand Master (with its user defined age range ) to produce reports for distribution .

The software magic /logic is something that should be easy to define /write? I am happy to assist as a non programer .

—In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, <ejwjohn@…> wrote :

THE club will be running a series of Dinghy races over the coming week and rather than have multiple starts, the idea would be to have a large fleet of DInghies, then allow Sailwave to create a Class to reach 1st 2nd and 3rd for a number of boats that are helmed by say people under 18.

Of course we could site down and create all this manually, but thought there maybe some cleaver way with Sailwave to do this?

Just a thought

JohnW

Yes, this is readily and commonly done. You need to check out the alias function and the scoring by fleet option.
Aliasing basically gives you a copy of each entrant that automatically inherits their results.
You then have one copy of each entrant set to fleet 'overall' or some such, and the other set to master, junior, whatever is required.

JimC

Hi John,

I notice you have received a reply from another person suggesting the use of the Alias function.

There is another solution in that you use the SWPrize:- https://sites.google.com/site/eskdalesite/home/swprize

This program extracts the results from the main body of results. An example of extracted results is 1st Junior may have a 5, 10, 7, and 9, while 2nd may have a 7, 12,10, and a 9.

You will probably get a different result using the different approaches as the discarded races will have different values.

Both systems will work without any additional staffing.

The method you use will depend on your NOR and SI.

Have fun JohnL.

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 4 September 2019 8:57 AM
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sailwave] Re: Can you set a class by the age of the helm

Hi Buy way if introduction to this group I am tied up/involved with Radio sailing in Australia and am looking out for scoring systems that meet ages sorting .

I also happen to be the Secretary /Registrar of the Australian DF Radio Sailing Assn.

My question is how to easily/seamlessly score a race within a race!

Say running a regatta with all entrants sailing by class of yacht in my case DF 65 and DF 95 race series AND have the results output of one sheet for overall winners( as happens with HMSand Sailwave software) then additional race results for say each age related sub groups perhaps called Masters ( if an age is say between 60 and 69 ) or Grand Masters ( say 70 to 79 )etc. It is not practical to run seperate races for each age group (not enough volunteers)

I reckon an extra input for age if so nominated by entrant on entry form! . This would be referenced by a user defined group by name say or Under 16 yrs /Grand Master (with its user defined age range ) to produce reports for distribution .

The software magic /logic is something that should be easy to define /write? I am happy to assist as a non programer .

—In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, <ejwjohn@…> wrote :

Just a though! t

JohnW