Clarification of Laps, Distance, etc.

I am trying to get a better understanding of how to use the Laps when inputting the competitor result and how to get the aliased results to inherit the values.

The sample race had the Non-Spinnaker doing 1 lap and the Spinnaker Fleet doing 2 laps on the same course.

Created a race with 2 fleets: Spinnaker and Non-Spinnaker

Aliased all competitors to a 3rd fleet: Overall

Created starts for fleets so I could input the distance for each fleet:

Start 1 = Non- Spinnaker start time 0:06:00, distance = 1.22

Start 2 = Spinnaker start time = 0:11:00, distance = 2.44

Start 3 = Overall with no start time or distance since these “should” be inherited from the other fleet starts. Also. , I had to create all 3 starts or Sailwave would not score.

Using “Appendix A” scoring system, when I look at the individual results audit, the Spinnaker average speed appears to be twice the correct value. It appears that it is taking the distance as a lap distance and not an overall distance. Is that correct?

I also created a custom rating system (SecondsPerMile)with the following equations:

c = e*(a/(r+b))/d

e = c/((a/(r+b))/d)

r = 1/(cd/(ea))-b

When I tested the formulas, there is no way to provide a value for “d” and I believe it is defaulted to 1.

The intent is to create an Overall ranking based on corrected seconds per mile, so the formulas are the standard ToT for PHRF divided by the race distance. However, it appears that “d” is not being passed to the formulas for the aliased Overall fleet since all of the calculated “c”s are zero. This results in a 4 way tie in the Overall fleet.

Is there any documentation or help that would help me understand what is happening and what I would need to do to fix my errors? Attached is a simple sample for a single race.

Thank,

Tom Owen

Hi Tom,

If you could email me your blw file it would save me sometime and I know I’m testing the same thing.

Thanks

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

On 13 March 2014 13:59, Tom OWEN towen999@msn.com wrote:

I am trying to get a better understanding of how to use the Laps when inputting the competitor result and how to get the aliased results to inherit the values.

The sample race had the Non-Spinnaker doing 1 lap and the Spinnaker Fleet doing 2 laps on the same course.

Start 3 = Overall with no start time or distance since these “should” be inherited from the other fleet starts. Also. , I had to create all 3 starts or Sailwave would not score.

Using “Appendix A” scoring system, when I look at the individual results audit, the Spinnaker average speed appears to be twice the correct value. It appears that it is taking the distance as a lap distance and not an overall distance. Is that correct?

I also created a custom rating system (SecondsPerMile)with the following equations:

c = e*(a/(r+b))/d

e = c/((a/(r+b))/d)

r = 1/(cd/(ea))-b

When I tested the formulas, there is no way to provide a value for “d” and I believe it is defaulted to 1.

The intent is to create an Overall ranking based on corrected seconds per mile, so the formulas are the standard ToT for PHRF divided by the race distance. However, it appears that “d” is not being passed to the formulas for the aliased Overall fleet since all of the calculated “c”s are zero. This results in a 4 way tie in the Overall fleet.

Is there any documentation or help that would help me understand what is happening and what I would need to do to fix my errors? Attached is a simple sample for a single race.

Thank,

Tom Owen

As requested. There is a single test file that I was experimenting with and a full series that I want to “convert”.

Thanks,

Tom

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jon Eskdale
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:57 AM
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Clarification of Laps, Distance, etc.

Hi Tom,

If you could email me your blw file it would save me sometime and I know I’m testing the same thing.

Thanks

Jon

Jon Eskdale

Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

c = e*(a/(r+b))/d

e = c/((a/(r+b))/d)

r = 1/(cd/(ea))-b

Thank,

Tom Owen

Hi Tom,

I’ve run out of time for a few hours as I have my day job to do at the moment. I have fixed a bug - certainly the test feature now calculates the correct value which it wasn’t previously but haven’t had time to do a full check with your file to see if it is working correctly Sailwave Version 2.14.9 is available at

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/220425/sailwave.exe

This is the calculation with the new version 2.14.9

Inline images 1

This is the previous versions

Inline images 2

As you can see the result of Test the expression is quite different

Let me know if this makes any difference to your findings. If you still have a problem I’ll try and find some time over the weekend.

Regards

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

On 13 March 2014 17:04, Tom OWEN towen999@msn.com wrote:

As requested. There is a single test file that I was experimenting with and a full series that I want to “convert”.

Thanks,

Tom

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jon Eskdale
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:57 AM
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Clarification of Laps, Distance, etc.

Hi Tom,

Thanks

Jon

Jon Eskdale

Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

c = e*(a/(r+b))/d

e = c/((a/(r+b))/d)

r = 1/(cd/(ea))-b

Thank,

Tom Owen