Club SIs

Re: Club SIs
Gordon

As it happens standardising S.I.s is a recent topic of conversation at our club. A copy of your standard would be appreciated as a reference.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Chris Harris

···

Our SIs are 5 pages of a Word document (written in quite large type and with lots of space). It may be simpler to send them direct.

Contact me at gordondavies@eircom.net a,d I will send you a copy.

The basic principle when writing SIs is, as far as I am concerned, to start with Appendix L and fill in the blanks as appropriate. When writing the odd sentence to complete the SIs I prefer to use words and grammar that are already used by ISAF, either in the SI and NOR guides, or in the rules. So, for instance, I do not refer to an “outer distance mark” as the pin end of the start line, but to the “starting mark”

I differ with the SI guide on only one point. Appendix L recommends that indications concerning the start procedure only be included if there is a modification to the standard Rule 26 procedure. I got fed up asking questions from bewildered competitors so I now include an instruction that Rule 26 will apply!

I am a bit of an SI nerd (I collect them) and would be happy to read and comment any proposed SIs.

Gordon

···

----- Original Message -----

Chris Harris

To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 11:24 AM

Subject: [sailwave] Re: Club SIs

Gordon

As it happens standardising
S.I.s is a recent topic of conversation at our club. A copy of your standard would be appreciated as a reference.

Regards

** Chris Harris**

Hi Gordon

Agree with your sentiments, especially Rule 26

My standard SIs for regattas always carries the para - Races will be started by using rule 26 i.e. 5, 4, 1, GO

I know we are told not to do this but this is a pretty crucial piece of information to ensure that we get good starts

Regards

Ralph

···

Sent: 20 May 2007 11:50
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Re: Club SIs

Our SIs are 5 pages of a Word document (written in quite large type and with lots of space). It may be simpler to send them direct.

The basic principle when writing SIs is, as far as I am concerned, to start with Appendix L and fill in the blanks as appropriate. When writing the odd sentence to complete the SIs I prefer to use words and grammar that are already used by ISAF, either in the SI and NOR guides, or in the rules. So, for instance, I do not refer to an “outer distance mark” as the pin end of the start line, but to the “starting mark”

I differ with the SI guide on only one point. Appendix L recommends that indications concerning the start procedure only be included if there is a modification to the standard Rule 26 procedure. I got fed up asking questions from bewildered competitors so I now include an instruction that Rule 26 will apply!

I am a bit of an SI nerd (I collect them) and would be happy to read and comment any proposed SIs.

Gordon

Gordon

S.I.s is a recent topic of conversation at our club. A copy of your standard would be appreciated as a reference.

Regards

** Chris Harris**

When running multiple starts we always leave 1 minute between a start and the next 5 minute gun. Whilst this prolongs the whole start procedure it does give the (often inexperienced) committee boat crew a short breather to check flags etc for the next start.

Gordon

···

Ralph Tingle

Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 12:51 PM

Subject: RE: [sailwave] Re: Club SIs

Hi Gordon

My standard SIs for regattas always carries the para - Races will be started by using rule 26 i.e. 5, 4, 1, GO

I know we are told not to do this but this is a pretty crucial piece of information to ensure that we get good starts

Regards

Ralph

Gordon

Gordon

As it happens standardising S.I.s is a recent topic of conversation     at our club. A copy of your standard would be appreciated
as a reference.

Regards

** Chris Harris**

Always start with appendix L and stick as close as possible.

Have them checked.

RYA Race Management Group, do check and probably can advise on sailing instructions.

Mike Butterfield IRO IU NJ

Member RYA Race Management Group

···

Chris Harris

Gordon

Regards

** Chris Harris**

I think this ruins the clock cycle and makes life harder. It will not work with automated start systems unless you have had them hard wired.

I would only do this if I wanted to post a different course.

Mike

···

gordon davies

Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 2:21 PM

When running multiple starts we always leave 1 minute between a start and the next 5 minute gun. Whilst this prolongs the whole start procedure it does give the (often inexperienced) committee boat crew a short breather to check flags etc for the next start.

Gordon

Hi Gordon

My standard SIs for regattas always carries the para -     Races will be started by using rule 26 i.e. 5, 4, 1, GO

Regards

Ralph

The basic principle when writing SIs is, as far as I am concerned, to start with Appendix L and fill in the blanks as appropriate. When writing the odd sentence to complete the SIs I prefer to use words and grammar that are already used by ISAF, either in the SI and NOR guides, or in the rules. So, for instance, I do not refer to an "outer distance mark" as the pin end of the start line, but to the "starting mark"

Gordon

Gordon

As it happens standardising S.I.s is a recent topic of conversation       at our club. A copy of your standard would be
  appreciated as a reference.

Regards

** Chris Harris**

You spoil them it is in the Rule book, which they should be encouraged to read.

Mike

···

Ralph Tingle

Hi Gordon

Regards

Ralph

Gordon

Gordon

As it happens standardising S.I.s is a recent topic of conversation     at our club. A copy of your standard would be appreciated
as a reference.

Regards

** Chris Harris**

Hi Mike,

We met at a JP Morgan event this winter. Hope we’ll have some match racing activity here on the mono-lingual side of the Irish Sea soon, and the pleasure of inviting you over

I use the “minute gap” when working with a committee boat crew who may be running races for the first time - it gives us a minute to make sure the right flags ready, that any issues from the last start have been dealt with, check that the marks aren’t drifting etc. We don’t have automatic start systems, indeed I have heard of one club regatta where the Committee boat didn’t have a watch on board! Using a handheld GPS they were 7 seconds out on each start. at least they were consistent.

One point I often have difficulty in getting across in ISA meetings is that race management solutions that work in the big venues with highly competent crew may not be appropriate in smaller clubs, and vice versa… someone needs to write the “Art of Coarse Race Management”.

For instance we have used, with great success, a procedure for managing “away” races for our cruiser fleet (a motley collection of bilge-keelers of somewhat uncertain age and provenance!) that, as an NJ, I would have no hesitation as describing as an aberration. Once the fleet sails over the horizon the Class Captain (a competitor) effectively becomes the Race Officer, with authority to shorten or change the course (using VHF) so that everybody gets into the pub with adequate drinking time before them. It may sound strange, indeed an abomination to a rules purist, but it has worked for many years and has never given rise to a request for redress (thankfully, for, having translated the Cruiser Class’ request into ISAFese, I would then be faced with the unnerving prospect of chairing the hearing!). However, I would not recommend that any other club follow our example.

Gordon

···

Mike & Trish Butterfield

Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 4:55 PM

I think this ruins the clock cycle and makes life harder. It will not work with automated start systems unless you have had them hard wired.

Mike

Gordon

Hi Gordon

My standard SIs for regattas always carries the para -       Races will be started by using rule 26 i.e. 5, 4, 1, GO

Regards

Ralph

The basic principle when writing SIs is, as far as I am concerned, to start with Appendix L and fill in the blanks as appropriate. When writing the odd sentence to complete the SIs I prefer to use words and grammar that are already used by ISAF, either in the SI and NOR guides, or in the rules. So, for instance, I do not refer to an "outer distance mark" as the pin end of the start line, but to the "starting mark"

Gordon

Gordon

As it happens standardising S.I.s is a recent topic of conversation         at our club. A copy of your standard would be
    appreciated as a reference.

Regards

** Chris Harris**

If it works, it’s good!

My race managment system has just been delivered from over the water your way!

Have you ever seen the Royal Thames way of sailing, for a fixed time. Positions are recorded by the hour from GPS. At the fixed time, all record their position, and motor to the venue to enjoy the hospitality.

The chart is consulted and results are based on the fastest corrected time to the last plot relative to the finish. I have more details should you wish.

Mike

Look forward to meeting again

···

gordon davies

Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 6:07 PM

Hi Mike,

We met at a JP Morgan event this winter. Hope we’ll have some match racing activity here on the mono-lingual side of the Irish Sea soon, and the pleasure of inviting you over

I use the “minute gap” when working with a committee boat crew who may be running races for the first time - it gives us a minute to make sure the right flags ready, that any issues from the last start have been dealt with, check that the marks aren’t drifting etc. We don’t have automatic start systems, indeed I have heard of one club regatta where the Committee boat didn’t have a watch on board! Using a handheld GPS they were 7 seconds out on each start. at least they were consistent.

One point I often have difficulty in getting across in ISA meetings is that race management solutions that work in the big venues with highly competent crew may not be appropriate in smaller clubs, and vice versa… someone needs to write the “Art of Coarse Race Management”.

For instance we have used, with great success, a procedure for managing “away” races for our cruiser fleet (a motley collection of bilge-keelers of somewhat uncertain age and provenance!) that, as an NJ, I would have no hesitation as describing as an aberration. Once the fleet sails over the horizon the Class Captain (a competitor) effectively becomes the Race Officer, with authority to shorten or change the course (using VHF) so that everybody gets into the pub with adequate drinking time before them. It may sound strange, indeed an abomination to a rules purist, but it has worked for many years and has never given rise to a request for redress (thankfully, for, having translated the Cruiser Class’ request into ISAFese, I would then be faced with the unnerving prospect of chairing the hearing!). However, I would not recommend that any other club follow our example.

Gordon

Mike

Gordon

Hi Gordon

My standard SIs for regattas always carries the para -         Races will be started by using rule 26 i.e. 5, 4, 1, GO

Regards

Ralph

Contact me at gordondavies@eircom.net
a,d I will send you a copy.

Gordon

Gordon

As it happens standardising S.I.s is a recent topic of conversation           at our club. A copy of your standard would be appreciated as a
      reference.

Regards

** Chris Harris**

I’m sure it’ll be integrated into Sailwave soon!

Gordon

···

Mike & Trish Butterfield

Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 6:51 PM

If it works, it’s good!

My race managment system has just been delivered from over the water your way!

Have you ever seen the Royal Thames way of sailing, for a fixed time. Positions are recorded by the hour from GPS. At the fixed time, all record their position, and motor to the venue to enjoy the hospitality.

The chart is consulted and results are based on the fastest corrected time to the last plot relative to the finish. I have more details should you wish.

Mike

Look forward to meeting again

Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 6:07 PM

Hi Mike,

We met at a JP Morgan event this winter. Hope we'll have some match racing activity here on the mono-lingual side of the Irish Sea soon, and the pleasure of inviting you over
I use the "minute gap" when working with a committee boat crew who may be running races for the first time - it gives us a minute to make sure the right flags ready, that any issues from the last start have been dealt with, check that the marks aren't drifting etc. We don't have automatic start systems, indeed I have heard of one club regatta where the Committee boat didn't have a watch on board! Using a handheld GPS they were 7 seconds out on each start. at least they were consistent.
One point I often have difficulty in getting across in ISA meetings is that race management solutions that work in the big venues with highly competent crew may not be appropriate in smaller clubs, and vice versa... someone needs to write the "Art of Coarse Race Management".
For instance we have used, with great success,  a procedure for managing "away" races for our cruiser fleet (a motley collection of bilge-keelers of somewhat uncertain age and provenance!) that, as an NJ, I would have no hesitation as describing as an aberration. Once the fleet sails over the horizon the Class Captain (a competitor) effectively becomes the Race Officer, with authority to shorten  or change the course (using VHF) so that everybody gets into the pub with adequate drinking time before them. It may sound strange, indeed an abomination to a rules purist, but it has worked for many years and has never given rise to a request for redress (thankfully, for, having translated the Cruiser Class' request into ISAFese, I would then be faced with the unnerving prospect of chairing the hearing!). However, I would not recommend that any other club follow our example.

Gordon

Mike

Gordon

Hi Gordon

My standard SIs for regattas always carries the para -           Races will be started by using rule 26 i.e. 5, 4, 1, GO

Regards

Ralph

To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Contact me at gordondavies@eircom.net
a,d I will send you a copy.

Gordon

Gordon

As it happens standardising S.I.s is a recent
        topic of conversation             at our club. A copy of your standard would be appreciated as a
        reference.

Regards

** Chris Harris**