Creating a Plug-In for the International Tornado Class

Hi,

I am contacting you on behalf of the International Tornado Association
to request your opinion/assistance on a couple of ideas.

The International Tornado Class is currently undertaking a project to renovate
their website. The key tasks are
to integrate it with a membership database, and to add a great deal of
administrative functionality. One
of the important goals is to develop a system for event organizers to easily
accept registrations, enter results, and publish results to the class
website.

The class executive has reviewed several scoring systems, and found that
they liked yours the best.
Subsequently, they have contracted me to develop the site and
applications. I briefly reviewed SailWave
and have an idea of what we may possibly accomplish and would like to get your
input.

We would like to create 2 applications which could integrate with
SailWave. First, we would like to
generate registration lists online using membership data; and second, we would
like to develop a custom plug-in for SailWave that could publish results
directly to our site, and have those results linked to our members.

The registration list seems to be a relatively simple task. I believe we could generate a *.blw
file in the proper format that includes the registrant information of the
members who register for the event.
Organizers could then download the generated file from the website at the
registration deadline, and then just click on the Open button.

The custom plug-in seems also quite feasible as I see Yachts and
Yachting has developed a Plug-In.
What we want to do is have our SailWave plug-in generate results in an html
format text string with a specific layout including a field with ISAF Sailor ID’s,
prompt the user for an id and password, then upload this directly to the database
on our server. We would like this
plug-in to be downloadable from the class website, and then auto-install into
SailWave.

Please tell me if these applications are something which you would be
supportive of us developing and if you can assist us by providing information
about the code and structure of your program.

Regards,

Noah Purves-Smith

noah@ursudio.com

Hi Noah,

Thanks for your interest in Sailwave; as a cat sailor I would be especially happy to get involved…

Downloading the database into a format suitable for incorporation into Sailwave should not, as you say, be a problem. However I’d prefer to keep the .blw syntax my own so that I can change it an any time - one thing I’m hoping to do for example is move to XML instead of my own file format - which’ll make the files portable across other apps as well. In the short term I would say the best option is to create a file in CSV format and import it into Sailwave. I can make the importing as painless as possible so that it’s not too much hassle. This can be done now, but you may need some more fields. Note that Sailwave uses ISAF Sailor IDs now and displays them as hyperlinks in the results when displaying Helm/Crew information.

WRT the Plug-In, that’s no problem either except that at present “plug-ins” are actually hard-wired bits of code! - the name reflects where I want to take them… If you can give me example of the format you require I can create the plug-in for you.

The ability to upload directly to a web site is something that will appear in Sailwave soon as planned development using ftp so a user and password will be required, unless you allow anonymous FTP.

Hope this helps…

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Colin J

www.sailwave.com

···

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 28 February 2003 21:52
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Cc:
pres@tornado.tc
Subject: [sailwave] Creating a Plug-In for the International Tornado Class

Hi,

I am contacting you on behalf of the International Tornado Association to request your opinion/assistance on a couple of ideas.

The International Tornado Class is currently undertaking a project to renovate their website. The key tasks are to integrate it with a membership database, and to add a great deal of administrative functionality. One of the important goals is to develop a system for event organizers to easily accept registrations, enter results, and publish results to the class website.

The class executive has reviewed several scoring systems, and found that they liked yours the best. Subsequently, they have contracted me to develop the site and applications. I briefly reviewed SailWave and have an idea of what we may possibly accomplish and would like to get your input.

We would like to create 2 applications which could integrate with SailWave. First, we would like to generate registration lists online using membership data; and second, we would like to develop a custom plug-in for SailWave that could publish results directly to our site, and have those results linked to our members.

The registration list seems to be a relatively simple task. I believe we could generate a *.blw file in the proper format that includes the registrant information of the members who register for the event. Organizers could then download the generated file from the website at the registration deadline, and then just click on the Open button.

The custom plug-in seems also quite feasible as I see Yachts and Yachting has developed a Plug-In. What we want to do is have our SailWave plug-in generate results in an html format text string with a specific layout including a field with ISAF Sailor ID’s, prompt the user for an id and password, then upload this directly to the database on our server. We would like this plug-in to be downloadable from the class website, and then auto-install into SailWave.

Please tell me if these applications are something which you would be supportive of us developing and if you can assist us by providing information about the code and structure of your program.

Regards,

Noah Purves-Smith

noah@ursudio.com

`-!- Opera 7 The Best Web browser and Email system -!-
http://www.opera.com/download/

http://www.sailwave.com/

Convert to daily digest of emails send blank email to:
sailwave-digest@yahoogroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
sailwave-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

`

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the [Yahoo! Terms of Service](http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/).