Received yesterday…

···

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

Date: August 31, 2016 at 8:07:52 PM PDT
To: genealogy@stevedahlstrom.com
Subject: Discontinuing rendering of HTML content

Hi Steven,

We’re writing to let you know that we’ll be discontinuing the ability to render HTML content in-browser via shared links or Public Folder. If you’re using Dropbox shared links to host HTML files for a website, the content will no longer display in-browser.

Please note that this change will take effect for your account on October 3, 2016, and only impacts how shared files are displayed on the web. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

Thanks for being a loyal Dropbox user.

• The Dropbox Team
    Want to stop getting account activity alerts from Dropbox? Unsubscribe
    Dropbox, Inc., PO Box 77767, San Francisco, CA 94107
    © 2016 Dropbox

Hmmm . . .

There also seems to be an issue around a DB pop-up if one is not a member. Not a killer, but not very smooth either.

Thanks.

jrc

···

On Sep 2, 2016 7:51 AM, “Steve Dahlstrom sdahlstrom@ymail.com [sailwave]” sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Received yesterday…

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

Hi Steven,

We’re writing to let you know that we’ll be discontinuing the ability to render HTML content in-browser via shared links or Public Folder. If you’re using Dropbox shared links to host HTML files for a website, the content will no longer display in-browser.

Please note that this change will take effect for your account on October 3, 2016, and only impacts how shared files are displayed on the web. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

• The Dropbox Team
    © 2016 Dropbox

I guess that takes us back to the time-honoured publish to a browser, print to PDF (use Chrome) and link that file in Dropbox. Which works okay.

···

On Sep 2, 2016 7:51 AM, “Steve Dahlstrom sdahlstrom@ymail.com [sailwave]” sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Received yesterday…

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

Hi Steven,

• The Dropbox Team
    © 2016 Dropbox

Interesting that Drop Box end this free static hosting at exactly the same time Google Drive discontinue free static html hosting.

There are still loads of free /low costs ways of hosting static web pages, but none as convenient as just saving to a folder of Drop Box or Google Drive.

(not that this was my ‘use case’.)

Now I know how to integrate windows apps to SailWave I’m sure I can think of a way of simply deploying free static pages. Something to play with if any one is interested.

I think the key is simplicity.

Then it is PDF and the series race links won’t work for instance. And it is multi step.

I’m thinking :slight_smile: