Distance Handicap Place Calculation

Hi. Starting to come to grips with SailWave thanks for your help.

We have a fixed handicap race coming up where the boats will race for a fixed time (in the dark)

We will know the distance each boat has covered in the allotted time. Can SailWave calculate corrected time placing’s with that information?

Been looking at How do I use PHRF TOD. Not sure if that is what I need to do.

Hi,

Not sure if this will help? And only a stab at a solution

The only way I can think of where you can enter any form of distance in terms of a results is by using Laps. This only goes up 999. so would not give much accuracy if used to represent distance. Would depend on expected race distances. If race was below 10km you could represent 9547M as 954 Laps giving an accuracy of 10m.

The other option would be to manually create a distance corrected elapsed time
(Time / Distance) X max distance sailed by any boat.

Enter That as the elapsed time in sailwave and let it do the handicap results based on that time.

You could enter the true distance in Notes field so it is shown on results but it would not be used in calculation.
++++++++++++++

Just has another thought you may be able to use a custom formula to allow you to enter distance in M sailed as the time in seconds??? to do the whole calculation within Sailwave. (I’ll think a bit more about that)

Hi Sailena,

Short answer to your question is yes. ToD is a rating system based on distance. However, you could devise your own custom rating system based on distance sailed.

To use ToD you will need to enter the distance in the Race information for the start.

I hope that helps but if you feel you need more guidance, please ask.
Kind regards,
Huw

Thanks Sykesk01 and Huw.
After thinking about Sykesk01 solution I came up with what is the elapsed time for each boat to get the same distance as the max distance achieved.

Corrected time for each boat =((Max Dist made good /(Dist made good/Time)) X the boats handicap.

Is that what the SailWave didtance entry does? How does it know what the time to race is?

Am I on the right track?

Hi Sailena

Could you please clarify with a bit more detail. Your first post seems to infer that it is a fixed time and the race distance will vary.

Perhaps an example with some typical figures you would expect for a few boats would help

Jon

Hi Sailena,

Having thought more about the race you are planning to run. Unfortunately, Sailwave does not have a specific field/column you can enter the distance sailed by each boat. This is something not considered previously to the best of my knowledge. You might be able to use the number of laps field/column to hold the distance sailed in a fixed time period, but it will need testing.

Yes you can do a calculation as you have suggested but in your original post you stated that every boat was sailing for the same time period and you would know how far each boat had sailed in that time. So I do not see how you need to try and do a max distance calculation.

I have no problem if you have changed your thinking.

Another possibility would be to use an external Excel spreadsheet with Sailwave, which does the corrected time calculation according to an appropriate equation.

Functionality was included in Sailwave a few years ago to support RYA NHC rating system which is a progressive rating/handicap system and it has an external mode which communicates with an Excel spreadsheet. The communication is bi-directional in that Sailwave sends data to Excel which performs a set of calculations and returns the results to Sailwave.

Sailwave ToD does not do what you are hoping for because the D (distance) is a fixed distance to be sailed by every boat and is entered in start information for a race as indicated previously.

As Jon has said, more detail on what is proposed would be most helpful.
Look forward to hopefully being able to help you come up with a solution.
Kind regards,
Huw

One quick note on Huw’s comment is although it is not normal for boats to have a different distance in the race. You can do this by having each boat with its own start which would allow the distance to be specified
A boat having its own start is sometimes used for pursuit races where they all start at different times

Regards

Jon

Thanks for your thoughts and replies. Just to clarify. The race is for a fixed period of time rather than a fixed distance. Faster boats will get further in the fixed period of time than slower boats. Faster boats also have a higher handicap than the slower ones.

The attached file might explain better.

I think the way is to calculate an assessed elapsed time as if for a fixed distance based on its average speed over the 2hrs raced. If it did 7nm in 2hrs its avrg speed is 3.5kts which means it would take 4 hours to do 14nm which would be its elapsed time I can enter into SailWave so it can apply the handicaps and publish.

Not allowed to upload .xls file attached is s pdf of the workbook.

Race Distance Handicapper.pdf (363.6 KB)