DNC value = Qualifying Boats + 1?

Hi there
I’m scoring a coastal race series. We get a lot of boats only doing one of the races of the series. There might be only 6 boats that do most of the series but up to 20 entries all up. This blows out the DNC value and is unfair for the boats that try to do most of the series. So, we’ve said you have to do a minimum number of races to get a series result. I’m using the ‘Qualification profile’ function to do this.
Question please - I can’t find a suitable DNC option that will give me the number of qualifying boats + 1. Is there any way I can do this? I can see there is a manual value option but I’d prefer to automate it.
Thanks for your help.
Bevan

Hi Bevan,
Firstly welcome to the Sailwave User Group forum.

Sailwave is set-up as default to score according to World Sailing RRS Appendix A. However you can change t he points allocated for the scoring codes DNC< DNF, DNE etc. quite easily.

Click Scoring system button / icon on the toolbar, t hen select the Scoring codes tab. When you double-click a scoring code a window opens and you see a set of points allocation options (Sailwave scoring methods). Select the one you want by clicking the radio button alongside it.

I hope that helps you achieve what are looking for.
Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Bevan,
Apologies I missed in my reading of your original message a part of your question. Unfortunately there is not an option to set DNC = ‘Qualifying boats +1’

Kind regards,
Huw

1 Like

Hi Bevan
If I understand correctly

You could have something like this

Thanks for trying to help anyway Huw.

Hi, thanks yes that’s exactly how I’d like it to score.
I’d like to be able to show all boats that participated in the series and races in the results though, rather than having to exclude them.
Cheers
Bevan

Hi Bevan

In this one if you publish the excluded competitors then you will see the details of the boats that took place
In the example below you only see the Tally (as it was just a demo) but you would see the details such as Helm, Sail No., and Boat but you wouldn’t see their positions

If you un-exclude them then rescore it will show you the full results with them in the race
This is because the points are allocated on a per-race basis I think the only way to have exactly what you seem to want would be to set the points for DNF manually and then set the other codes to be scored like DNF so you only have to edit the one coe

Bevan
In the East Anglian Offshore Racing Association (EAORA) we have a similar situation where there are some boats that do the majority of the races and some that only do a few.
We set DNC to the number of yachts entering the series + 1 and DNF as the number entering the race +1.
This does mean the DNC scores are not final until the end of the season when we know the number of entrants in the series (we start with an estimate and refine as the season goes on). However it doesn’t have much of a practical impact on the boats competing for the seasons points.
We allow sufficient discards for the boats doing the season to miss a few races, so their DNCs usually end up being discarded.
All handled by SailWave quite happily