Feature request: DNC points based on number of boats qualifying

At our club we have a long series where we score DNC in a race as the number of boats qualifying for the series + 1. We do this by manually adjusting the score for DNC to the number of boats qualifying. Would it be possible to add an option to the “Edit scoring code” dialog:

• Points for place of (the number of boats qualifying for the series + N places)?

Having said that I am going to look at switching to “points for place of (the number of boats in the biggest start in any one race + N places)” and see what effect that would have had on past seasons - I would be interested in what others do.for this.

Hi Paul,
Welcome back.

Has your club made any other changes to RRS Appendix A scoring away from the standard wording? I would be interested in seeing the whole wording in the NoR/SIs in the section related to scoring.

Have the club modified other scoring codes like DNS, DNF, RET, DSQ, because if not then boats who are scored DNC could score less points than the aforementioned codes.

If the NoR/SIs state that rule A5.3 will apply, then it is possible that the club DNC points = the number of boats qualifying for the series + 1* could score less points than a boat that actually went out to the start area but for some reason is scored DNS, DNF, RET, DSQ.

Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Huw, thanks for the quick reply,

You raise a very good point regarding a potential anomaly, here are the relevant parts of the SIs (following amendment to take care of the anomaly :wink:)

• Rule A2.2 is replaced with the following: “A2.2 A boat that has come to the starting area for at least [(20% of the total number of races sailed in the series) + 1, rounded down] qualifies for the series and she shall be scored for the whole series.”

• Rule A5.3 is amended after the final comma as follows: “and a boat that did not come to the starting area shall be scored points for the finishing place one more than the greater of the number of boats qualifying for the series and the number that came to the starting area.” and shall apply as amended.

Hi Paul,
Pleased to have been of assistance.

I suggest a slightly better wording:
Rule A5.3 shall apply and is amended after the final comma as follows: “and a boat that did not come to the starting area shall be scored points for the finishing place one more than the greater of the number of boats qualifying for the series and the number that came to the starting area.”

Kind regards,
Huw.

Thanks Huw,

As it happens that is how I first drafted it, then turned it round to match some other similar amendments in our existing SIs! I agree your wording is better so we will go with that (and work on improving the other ones in due course).

This does make the feature request harder to deal with of course, and I suspect we will have to stick with manual amendments for some time to come!