Finally trying NHC for upcoming series

Jon,

To better understand what is happening with doing he alias’s, I have the following questions?

1…When setting the competitor field - what does ‘selecting an operand’ (<>, <, >, =, etc) do?

2…And, what values are used?

3…For example, setting up several alias’s?

Also, when completing the above, and I get to ‘Set this value’, I presume anything within reason will work?

Thank you

Michael

Hi Michael

The Tool “Set competitor field” allows you to select a set of competitors and either set a value in a specific field for these competitors or copy a value from a different field

image.png

The Select competitors allows you to select which competitors you will modify

image.png

In the above example, it selects all competitors that are Aliases as the Alias field is not 0

To explain this a little. Every competitor in Sailwave has an ID a number and if the competitor is an Alias then the Alias field contains the ID of the competitor that it is an Alias Of

If you edit a competitor there is an Alias Tab and you can see or modify which competitor it is an alias off

image.png

In the video you watched any competitor that is an Alias will have a non zero value in the Alias field so this is an easy way of selecting Alias competitors

so typically you would change the Fleet to NHC for all Alias competitors

If you create another set of Alias competitors, you would then have to change the fleet to say NHC2, for all alias competitors which are not in the Fleet NHC

= is equal to

<> is not equal to

< is less than

is greater than

Hope that helps

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Hi Jon,

So, as I understand it, I can set all of the alias’s to <> 0, but use unique name for the fleet to NHC1 NHC2, or whatever…

Michael

Hi Michael,
The use of the Set competitor field is just a quick way of setting the fleet field programmatically - If you are not comfortable with this type of working

I suggest you just manually edit the fields that you wish to change for the Aliases after you have created them.
You will probably find that easier and quicker - I’m just lazy and like to do things with a program rather than repeat the same thing.

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Hi Jon,

We have run two race days, and scoring for both (with alias’) seems to be working well. Now, when I try to merge the two races for a cumulative, 2 of the 9 boats do not appear in the merged file (Westsail 32 And Capri 26). I was able to add these to the merged version, do the scoring, etc. But need to know what is preventing these two boats from being included. May have something to do with their being new in the second race day (June) - perhaps something entered wrong.

The two files are attached.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I think you will find that it has merged them but you have them marked as excluded.

You have both
Westsail 32 And Capri 26 in the May file and marked as excluded

If you show excluded competitors they are there and the race results are imported

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Hi Jon,

I was playing with the May file and un-excluded’ the two boats, then did a merge, and it came out alright -

Thank you again…

Michael

Hi Jon,

Back to setting alias’s with multiple classes,
e.g., Mono hull <100, Monohull >100, multihull. I am doing something wrong somewhere, because
I end up affecting all clases.

In the atached file (I started the process but stopped when I could see something is wrong. These are the steps I did:

1. User Interface: Compeitor Aliasing

2. Tools: set competitor field (I copied value from another competitor field, I selected Division

3. Edit - new competitor aliasing (not sure if i select all competitors regardless of class? I selected all competitors regardless of class.

4. Tools: Set Competitor field, Set this Value: I set it to Mono 100+ NHC

Regardless of how I do this, I end up affecting other classes, like multihull

So, I have spent hours to no avail. Apparently I am making some fundamental error in the process. I just need to know what steps and where I am making an error.

Again, thank you

Michael

Hi Michael,

You can always use the test button to see which will be affected

image.png

But I’ve put the Multihull back for you

So you would do something like this

image.png

image.png

Repeat for other fleets

Then set the overrides for these in the scoring system such as below

image.png

I’ve attached an amended file

Regards

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

Hi Jon,

Well, I could not see the 'mea’t of your answer because the images you embedded in the message did not come thru - either here in the forum and in the digest I just received. The png files you embedded all say image.png and they were worth ‘a thousand words’ so to speak. I appreciate your efforts though… The attachment was fine though…

Thank you - Michael

Michael,

Can you see these versions? (attached)
···
regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Rondevlei, South Africa
   On 2019-06-19 15:22,

[sailwave] wrote:

Hi Jon,

Well, I could not see the 'mea't of your answer because

the images you embedded in the message did not come thru -
either here in the forum and in the digest I just
received. The png files you embedded all say image.png
and they were worth ‘a thousand words’ so to speak. I
appreciate your efforts though… The attachment was fine
though…

Thank you - Michael

Virus-free. www.avast.com

msdobrzensky@yahoo.com

Malcom,

Yes - thank you!

best,

Michael

Hi Jon,

Continuing with this thread.

We are done with the years series and I have been merging successfully until I got to the last race (Oct 6 2019)

When I merge the last race (Oct 6) with the previously merged series (may - Sep 8), it changes the scored points for the the c&c 37 and Holder 20 as follows:

Oct 6 race

holder 20 1 1 1

c&c 37 2 2 2

Merged series

holder 20 2 1 2

c&c 37 1 2 1

Why does the merged series change these ratings?

I have attached the files for the

• may - sep8 merged series

• oct 6 race

• may - oct6 merged series (from the above

Hopefully I haven’t convoluted this question…

Thank you, again…

Michael