Flights scoring and results publishing

Good evening,

I am preparing a regatta which will be held next week.

The format of the regatta is as follows:

The boats are assigned in 4 flights (red, green, blue, and white), they remain at the same flight for the entire regatta and every day each flight sails against a different flight. There will be 2 different starts every day. (1st day red vs blue and green vs white, 2nd day red vs green and blue vs white etc.).

I have set the regatta in SW, with all the settings as they are described in the Sailwave User Guide, and I have tested it. Everything works well except the following issue:

When I publish the results, in the individual race tables, the results of each start are not shown separately, but all boats are shown together and are sorted according to the flight they belong to, but with their correct score.

I searched the SUG, but I could not find a solution to this problem.

Is there any suggestion to solve this problem even If I must change the configuration of the file (e.g. not use flights)?

Regards

Vassilis Kaskouras

Hi Vassilis,

Welcome to the Sailwave User Group forum.

I am assuming you would like the results in each race to have a separate column for each colour pair. Yes this is possible. It is an option selectable during publishing.
2024-05-03_17-00

This is how results should look when published 9without the purple boxes outlining the race start results):

I hope this is what you were looking for.
Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Huw,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I know this option you suggest, but this is not what I am looking for. This shows the starts in the overall table while I would like in the individual race table to have the results of each start separated (see attached file).

I think that I can do that by publishing the results into Excel and sort the boats, but I do not like to do this manually as it is possible to make mistakes.

If you think that there is no other alternative way to publish the results, I will work with one of these 2 ways.

One more question:

In the page 150 of the Sailwave User Guide and Reference Manual v. 15 it is mentioned:

“There is also a method where competitors are assigned by the OA to fixed coloured flights /colour groups, i.e . they stay in the same flight / colour group for all races. In each race there will be multiple starts, where on each start a pair of flight / colour groups start together. […]

This last method of flights could be done in a different way not using flights at all.”

Could you please give me some more details on this?

Kind Regards

Vassilis
R4.pdf (195.4 KB)

Hi Vassilis,

I am sorry the method I described, and you already knew about, is not what you are looking for. Unfortunately, currently, Sailwave does not have an option to list the starts for each race separately as outlined in your PDF generated using a spreadsheet.

It might be possible using the available ‘TableSorterRace’ effect and the use of 3 unused columns to produce a race table, that in a web browser could be sorted in the way you are looking for. However, it would still require manual sorting using the appropriate column sort buttons.

If you have someone who can write Javascript perhaps they could write a custom effect which does the sort you are looking for.

I will respond to

One more question:

In the page 150 of the Sailwave User Guide and Reference Manual v. 15 it is mentioned:

“There is also a method where competitors are assigned by the OA to fixed coloured flights /colour groups, i.e . they stay in the same flight / colour group for all races. In each race there will be multiple starts, where on each start a pair of flight / colour groups start together. […]

This last method of flights could be done in a different way not using flights at all.”

Could you please give me some more details on this?

in a separate reply.

Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Vallis,

If you want to publish the starts separately you can chose the option when publishing

image.png

Hope that helps

Regards

Jon

Hi Jon and Huw,

Thank you for your help.

Kind Regards
Vassilis

Hi Vassilis,

Here is the separate reply regarding alternative way of configuring Sailwave when using colour groups.
Vassilis.blw (22.6 KB)

Blockquote

In the attached Sailwave example I have created, I have used the ‘Division’ field in Sailwave to store the colour group assigned to a competitor instead of the ‘Flight’ field.

Then I edited each race to set up the 3 starts with the appropriate pairings of colour groups.

Under ‘Setup | User interface’ you will ‘Non-standard race tie options’ and ‘Split starts allowing multiple 1sts, 2nds etc’ checked.

I hope that makes sense.

PS - as long as all boats sail the exact same course you could by using aliases produce a set of results for all competitors.

Kind regards,
Huw
Vassilis.blw (22.7 KB)

Thank you Huw,
I will try this tomorrow.
Kind Regards
Vassilis