Font Size when Publishing

Is there a reasonably straightforward way to increase the font size when publishing (in this case, standard publish to Sailwave results folder). Request from older competitors at this event! I think it may require playing with a css file, which I’ve not tried yet.

Thanks, Ian.

Hi Ian,

I understand the eyesight concerns of older members. Yes playing

with CSS file is a way to do it. Another if you have Firefox at
least is to magnify the screen - View menu and zoom option.

How about when you publish choosing the 'Chunky' style rather

than the default ‘Blue Blocks’ style. ‘Chunky’ uses 100% font size
whereas ‘Blue Blocks’ is 72% font size.

Note though that doing this if you are printing for ONB will

probably mean you need to go Landscape orientation or even A3
paper size in Landscape!

Look forward to your feedback.

Kind regards,

Huw

···

On 10/09/2018 15:21,
[sailwave] wrote:

bowringi@eircom.net

Is there a reasonably straightforward way to increase

the font size when publishing (in this case, standard
publish to Sailwave results folder). Request from older
competitors at this event! I think it may require playing
with a css file, which I’ve not tried yet.

Thanks, Ian.

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.

www.avast.com

Hi Huw,

Thanks indeed, I’ll have a play today. Biggest issue was actually the sign out sheets - once the contact lenses are in, nothing less than 16pt font at arms length is visible (I should know that - I’m the same with contacts rather than glasses. Most are OK just to zoom in from their browsers, but some have asked for larger fonts for both online and printed results!

Maximum respect to the competitors though, at 20kts gusting 30kts, all, including the over 75’s division, still completed the two races on Sunday.

Ian.

Hi Huw,

Thanks, I’ll have a play today. As you note, increasing font size creates its own problems - particularly with 12 races to be sailed. Problem first appeared with sign-out sheets - with contact lennses in, it needs 16+pt font at arms length to read! However, maximum respect to the sailors - 20kts gusting 30+kts on Sunday and the 75+ year old laser fleet put in a superb performance over 4hrs on the water!

Ian

Hi Ian - Could you explain exactly what you are trying to achieve - is it a different view when displayed on a screen or when you print the output?

If it is on a screen then you can always zoom in and scroll around. Typically on a Windows PC, you can use hold the Control key down and use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

If it is when printed this will depend upon which browser you are using. Personally, I think Firefox does the best job of letting you control the printed output size

Once you have published your results to Firefox and they are displayed on your screen - Press Alt-F-V You then see a preview of how it is going to look on paper

image.png

and a control bar similar to the above. You will notice that the Scale is Shrink to Fit by default - Or if it will all fit on the page, without reducing the size it will be 100%

Now this is where you have some options if the scale is Shrink to fit, it means Firefox is reducing the size of the printout to fit it all on the page. If you are in Portrait mode then switch to Landscape mode and you will immediately get it larger.

If the scale is 100% then you can experiment by increasing the scale say to 110% and if it all still fits on the page then you can print it this way. Use the custom option as shown here

image.png

If you are using Chrome then it calls a scale of 100% the Shrink to Fit size and you can adjust this (see the more settings) - personally I think this is a little confusing.

Jon

Mailtrack
Sender notified by

[Mailtrack](https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality6&) 11/09/18, 22:05:26
···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Hi Jon,

Not one to lose sleep over! I’m not entirely sure what I’m trying to achieve other than to look at various options based on some competitors indicating that they were having difficulty reading results both printed and online. However the comments principally relate to online, as in an effort to save forests, I only print once a day when the dust has setlled and the jury have gone home.

As you and Huw note, most browsers allow you to zoom or increase font size through option settings (or using two fingers on a phone screen), and a permanent font size increase is likely to be painful for many other competitors. So my request was really whether there waw a setting or configuration file I could play with to see whether there might be a happy medium where everyone could read the results without me needing A0 paper to print them on.

The idle playing with fonts is likely to be lost as we draw towards the final day I’m faced with a jury decision to award redress of the square root of the avegage boats ahead of the competitor in the qualifying races, less the square of the average boats behind in the final races, excluding those over the age of 56, but not including any with a dog called ‘Fido’… (Sorry, I’m still in therapy following a jury decision with similar logic 10 years ago)

Ian.

Ian

A couple of years ago I ran the NAs for the Moth class, which is sponsored by 11th Hour Foundation, a serious environmental group. When I tried to post paper results the first day I got told pretty clearly that policy was no paper. Not for results, notices, whatever.

Since then, we’ve tried to do without. No more handing out SIs and NORs, other stuff in the skippers kit. Everything to the web page.

Took a bit of effort, but worth it. We usually sneak a paper copy of results to the prize giving people, but otherwise it’s on the web.

jrc

···

John R Culter
Medinet Vancouver
604 742-8832 or 604 908-3118 mobile