Fractional Discards

Okay, here’s one I’ve never come across.

One design fleet (Catalina 37s), race every month. They usually do an around-the-buoys thing, but every so often they do a distance race. Since they can only do one distance race a day, they want to count that day’s race as 3 points, or three races. Easy to do with weighting, but…

The “three races” thing is the issue. The idea is that a weekend that includes two distance races counts as 6 races in their monthly series standings, This includes discards. So, a boat that got second two consecutive distance races would be scored 2+2+2 (day one) then 2+2+2 (day two) for a total of 12 points, but they have a discard after 5 races, so the 12 points becomes 10 points. Essentially, the discard amount is one third of a day’s score.

If I want to do this automatically, the only way I could see to do it is to create three races for every distance race, then apply a discard of 0,0,0,0,0,1,1,1.

I know I can weight races to three points each, but I can’t see how to do the discard, even with a formula. I guess I have to just do manual scoring for this?

Andy

You say “the distance race counts as 3 races” rather than “the score for
the distance race counts as 3 times the score of the other races.” So,
at the moment the only way I can see to do it is the way you propose: to
score each distance race as 3 separate races. If the 3rd race is a
distance race you might consider using the race names as 3a, 3b and 3c.

That might cause confusion but it ought to be less confusing then simply
deleting one third of the score for a race without explanation. [In
other words, even if Sailwave could delete one-third of a race score I’d
think you want to score each distance race as 3 separate race scores so
what you are doing will be obvious to the competitors.]

Art

You might be able to do this with javascript. I would enter the long distance race as the three races as you proposed and give the proper race name to the first of the three races and some unique name to the second and third race. The javascript would hide those columns that contain the unique name. There is lots of javascript code around for hiding table columns, but I would ask Jon if this is even possible.

Peter

Cool idea. Thanks Peter.

There is a way to do this without any additional programming. Again, enter the long distance races as the three races as you proposed ,but only publish one of the those three long distance races entered with:

Publish a series summary table

Check "Just these races

Enter the races you want to publish ie “1-3,6,7,8,9”

I noticed that there might be a parsing bug in that area because " 1-3,6-9" gave me an error, but " 1-3,6,7,8,9" or “1-3,6,7-9” worked. It looks like multiple ranges in sequence generate a parsing error.