Fractional Score for Position 1 finisher

In scoring races in a local series, first place finishers in the final two of 6 races were scored 1.5 points instead of 1. Since we are a one design class, there are no tie scores. I can’t think of a reason why Sailwave would apply this fractional score or why it would apply the score to only two of the 6 total races completed so far.

I would welcome some perspective on this issue.

Hi,
Welcome to the Sailwave User Group.

If you care to send me your Sailwave file to huw@sailwave.com, I will have a look at the file I see if I can determine what the problem might be.

Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Ryan,

Without see the file it’s not possible to be certain. But as you say the first 4 races are OK it is most likely that the starts have not been set correctly for the last 2 races

Jon

Thanks, Jon, for responding to my inquiry. Since we are entering each finishing position with no time calculation, and have been for some time, I had not anticipated the need for any start data or configuration. Is there something specific in that regard that I should investigate.

I have already shared the working file with another member of the Sailwave support community. If he doesn’t spot the problem, perhaps I could have you look it over

Regards,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,
When you score the places are converted to points
If in a single race you have 2 people with equal place then they share the points. Therefore if you have two in first place the points for 1st and 2nd are shared and they get 1.5 points each.
Now if you have two flights in the same race you need to tell Sailwave that there are two starts and which boats are in which start. Typically this would be using flights, typically a blue and a yellow flight
If you set it up correctly then you can then have each first get one point each. You said it was fine for the first 4 races so I assumed you had multiple firsts in these - If this is the case then you most have set multiple starts, so I suggest the starts are wrong for the last two races. If you didn’t have multiple 1sts in the first 4 races then your results for the last two races are probably correct at 1.5 points each.
Jon

That was the first think I checked since that is normally what I would have expected to see. There was no duplication or tie for either affected race.

We are a fleet of MC Scows with all sailors competing in a single start for each race. No flights, divisions, fleets or times to affect scoring.

As a follow on to this thread, I tried deleted the affected races and re-entered the data from scratch. The file now scores correctly. The only difference I can identify with respect to recording finishes for the original file and the recreated file is that I entered all the scoring codes (DNS, DNF, RDG, etc.) for those two races before recording the finishes. It is pure speculation on my part, but perhaps that had some effect on the Sailwave scoring formulas. In any case, I now have a correctly scored series.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I have replied by email but for others I am also replying here.

Having looked at the Sailwave file you sent me and it together with information in this email, has allowed me I think to determine the issue. The key bits of information in this email were

* original file you entered scoring codes before actual finishes
  • clearing R5 & race results and re-entering series then scored as expected

There are indeed two competitors with recorded finished of 1st in R5&6, but to see this for Sailno 1699 you have to use Edit result. Your RDG code has the method “Average of all races not DNC”. I am not sure how you entered the information for R5&6 for SailNo 1699 but my guess is you somehow entered a finish position of 1st and then changed it to the code RDG.

Sailwave for some reason, which Jon will have to look at, when it comes to scoring, picks up that there are 2 recorded places of 1st and averages them hence the 1.5 scored points for SailNo 2523 in R5 and SailNo 1525 in R6. I manually changed the recorded places in R5&6 for SailNo 1699 to 999 and the set back to code RDG and then scoring worked as expected.

There is another little anomaly in Sailwave that if you do not have a recorded result for a competitor when using a scoring method that averages a range of scored point, things go awry in scoring as well. I found this out when a competitor did not finish a race asked for redress and was awarded RDGa.

Hope that all makes sense.
Kind regards,
Huw

I’ve had a look - The issue is :-
If you look at R5 Chris Bowman Sailno 1669 is scored RDG but he has a finishing place of 1st so there are 2 first places and code RDG is configured as rule A6.2 other boat scores are not changed
This means that there are two 1st and hence the 1.5 points

If you remove the position of 1st for Chris then you get 1.0 points
So, in my opinion, Sailwave has calculated correctly based on the data you have given. Hope that clarifies it

Jon

Huw and Jon,

I opened the original file and looked at the RDG generated scores for Chris Bowman. As you noted, Huw, in spite of the RDG calculated score displayed, Chris was still shown in position 1 as a result of his code being the first entry for those races. I did not realize that assigning the scoring code does not automatically clear the position value. My apologies, Jon. When I initially checked for duplicate first position finishes, I failed to note this. You were certainly on target with your analysis. Once I zeroed the position, the scoring performed properly.

I very much appreciate the time you gentlemen shared with me in identifying the source of the problem. Now that I understand how the system “looks” at the data, I can avoid this type of input error in future.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,
Great all sorted.

There is a reason why when assigning a scoring code that the position is not cleared automatically. By not clearing it is much quicker and easier to re-instate a competitor in their finish place, if it has been entered, when a scoring penalty is overturned by a Jury/Protest Committee or Race Committee put their hands up and say we made a mistake. Thinking in particular of BFD, OCS, UFD & ZFP.

Kind regards,
Huw

Makes perfect sense. Thanks again.

Ryan