High Point Scoring

Below is a thread from the J/105 Owners Association site (www.j105.org). Can Sailwave handle this type of
scoring system?

I note that a number of fleets use " High
Point" scoring for their season championships. I’m
familiar with the low point scoring of the RRS, and last year Fleet 14 used a
variant of Cox-Sprague which is described as a “percentage of
perfection” system. But I don’t know the details of High
Point. I recently saw one of our fleet sites describe it by
saying that for each race a the boat gets points equal to the boats it finishes
ahead of, hence the more boats in a race, the more points you can accumulate.
Are there variants of High Point? If so,
what are they? Is there any concept of a throw out? Please tell me (and others)
how it works and whether you would recommend it for a season series.

Nelson, The Chesapeake Bay Yacht Racing Association
(CBYRA) has a high point system that
works generally as you described. How it evolved is beyond my comprehension. It
is calculated by taking the total points earned and dividing by the total
possible points (for the races entered by that individual) + 30. This gives a
“quality factor” result. The devil is in the details. It takes a
minimum of 5 events to qualify. Everyone gets one throw out for each six races.
Ties in multiple race events are broken on a best finish basis. In addition to
boats beaten points, one point is given for starting, one for finishing, none
for any kind of DSQ. The first place boat therefore gets a score equal to the
number of competitors plus one. CBYRA further complicates the issue by giving
10 bonus points in races over 25 miles and all races must meet distance and
minimum speed criteria to qualify. Calculating all this gets a little
complicated in a fleet where we have nearly 40 boats that race, because a
simple spread sheet can’t do all the tasks. If you want a high
point system I would suggest a simplified version of this. The
throw outs are fair to the guy who sails a lot of races, and the quality point
calculation gives weight to those who do well in large regattas.

-Bill Hunt

···

Hi Bill,

Sailwave does not currently handle any high point scoring systems. Cox-Sprague and standard high point are on the todo list. However many clubs and organisations are moving to the Bonus Point system which is a low point scoring method; including the Olympic Games as far as I know. It simplifies things greatly.

Regards,

Colin J

···

-----Original Message-----
From: JW Hunt - Down East Technology Partners, LLC [mailto:jwhunt3@maine.rr.com]
Sent: 15 February 2002 02:35
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sailwave] High Point Scoring

Below is a thread from the J/105 Owners Association site (www.j105.org). Can Sailwave handle this type of scoring system?

I note that a number of fleets use “High Point” scoring for their season championships. I’m familiar with the low point scoring of the RRS, and last year Fleet 14 used a variant of Cox-Sprague which is described as a “percentage of perfection” system. But I don’t know the details of High Point. I recently saw one of our fleet sites describe it by saying that for each race a the boat gets points equal to the boats it finishes ahead of, hence the more boats in a race, the more points you can accumulate. Are there variants of High Point? If so, what are they? Is there any concept of a throw out? Please tell me (and others) how it works and whether you would recommend it for a season series.

Nelson, The Chesapeake Bay Yacht Racing Association (CBYRA) has a high point system that works generally as you described. How it evolved is beyond my comprehension. It is calculated by taking the total points earned and dividing by the total possible points (for the races entered by that individual) + 30. This gives a “quality factor” result. The devil is in the details. It takes a minimum of 5 events to qualify. Everyone gets one throw out for each six races. Ties in multiple race events are broken on a best finish basis. In addition to boats beaten points, one point is given for starting, one for finishing, none for any kind of DSQ. The first place boat therefore gets a score equal to the number of competitors plus one. CBYRA further complicates the issue by giving 10 bonus points in races over 25 miles and all races must meet distance and minimum speed criteria to qualify. Calculating all this gets a little complicated in a fleet where we have nearly 40 boats that race, because a simple spread sheet can’t do all the tasks. If you want a high point system I would suggest a simplified version of this. The throw outs are fair to the guy who sails a lot of races, and the quality point calculation gives weight to those who do well in large regattas.

-Bill Hunt

`http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sailwave
http://www.sailwave.com/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
sailwave-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

`

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the [Yahoo! Terms of Service](http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/).