How to determine the number of entries?

Easy? Not sure.

World Championship Micro 2007.

47 sent an entry form

44 paid

40 showed up, were controlled for measurement, were allowed to sail and started at least one race.

39 finished at least one race.

Sadly for a Russian crew (RUS-59), they began with DSQ and OCS, and had to wait for another 2 races do discard one code and another 5 to discard the second… but already in the 4th race (1st discard) they were OCS again, and broke the rudder in race 5…

The RC ranked the race with 47 entries (codes = 48 points) and they were 14th with 137 points.

I protested informally as not paid entries should be excluded. The RC ranked with 44 entries and they were re-ranked as 12th with 131 points.

But as the Class Regulations for the European ranking state that a competitor, not present on site, should not be ranked at all, I re-calculated with 40 entries, and he won just 1 place with 123 points.

(European ranking is calculated on High Point Austrian, and nations could artificially bring points to local top competitors by entering fake local competitors).

Does someone know about a Case or official interpretation about this? I asked ISAF but did not receive any reply…

Phil

According to RRS 74.1 a boat is only entered when she has complied with the requirements of the organising authority.

In this case, the requirements seem to have been that the boat paid the entry fee and passed measurement control. Starting or finishing a race are not requirements for entering. So you figures do not show the number of boats entered (as a boat may have paid, been measured but then did not sail)! The number of entries was 44 or less but greater or equal to 40!

How many boats, showed up, paid and measured… including those who never started a race.

Gordon

···

----- Original Message -----

Philippe De Troy

To: SAILWAVE User Group

Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 2:10 PM

Subject: [sailwave] How to determine the number of entries?

Easy? Not sure.

47 sent an entry form

44 paid

40 showed up, were controlled for measurement, were allowed to sail and started at least one race.

Sadly for a Russian crew (RUS-59), they began with DSQ and OCS, and had to wait for another 2 races do discard one code and another 5 to discard the second… but already in the 4th race (1st discard) they were OCS again, and broke the rudder in race 5…

The RC ranked the race with 47 entries (codes = 48 points) and they were 14th with 137 points.

I protested informally as not paid entries should be excluded. The RC ranked with 44 entries and they were re-ranked as 12th with 131 points.

But as the Class Regulations for the European ranking state that a competitor, not present on site, should not be ranked at all, I re-calculated with 40 entries, and he won just 1 place with 123 points.

(European ranking is calculated on High Point Austrian, and nations could artificially bring points to local top competitors by entering fake local competitors).

Does someone know about a Case or official interpretation about this? I asked ISAF but did not receive any reply…

Phil

47 sent and entry form

44 sent the form and paid

40 showed up, were measured and found compliant

40 started at least one race

39 finished at least one race

My answer as measurer and class representative was 40, but the RC said 44…

Phil

···

gordon davies

To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:24 PM

Subject: Re: [sailwave] How to determine the number of entries?

According to RRS 74.1 a boat is only entered when she has complied with the requirements of the organising authority.

In this case, the requirements seem to have been that the boat paid the entry fee and passed measurement control. Starting or finishing a race are not requirements for entering. So you figures do not show the number of boats entered (as a boat may have paid, been measured but then did not sail)! The number of entries was 44 or less but greater or equal to 40!

How many boats, showed up, paid and measured… including those who never started a race.

Gordon

Philippe De Troy

Easy? Not sure.

47 sent an entry form

44 paid

Sadly for a Russian crew (RUS-59), they began with DSQ and OCS, and had to wait for another 2 races do discard one code and another 5 to discard the second... but already in the 4th race (1st discard) they were OCS again, and broke the rudder in race 5...
I protested informally as not paid entries should be excluded.  The RC ranked with 44 entries and they were re-ranked as 12th with 131 points.
Does someone know about a Case or official interpretation about this?  I asked ISAF but did not receive any reply...

Phil

Taking entries is not a Race Committee function, although they may reject or cancel the entry of a boat or exclude a competitor, see Rule 76.1.

In other words if the OA says 40 the RC may only lower this number.

In this case who was the OA - the club, the class or both?

Gordon

···

Philippe De Troy

Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:35 AM

47 sent and entry form

My answer as measurer and class representative was 40, but the RC said 44…

Phil

In this case, the requirements seem to have been that the boat paid the entry fee and passed measurement control. Starting or finishing a race are not requirements for entering. So you figures do not show the number of boats entered (as a boat may have paid, been measured  but then did not sail)! The number of entries was 44 or less but greater or equal to 40!
How many boats, showed up, paid and measured... including those who never started a race.

Gordon

Easy? Not sure.

47 sent an entry form

44 paid

Sadly for a Russian crew (RUS-59), they began with DSQ and OCS, and had to wait for another 2 races do discard one code and another 5 to discard the second... but already in the 4th race (1st discard) they were OCS again, and broke the rudder in race 5...
  I protested informally as not paid entries should be excluded.  The RC ranked with 44 entries and they were re-ranked as 12th with 131 points.
  Does someone know about a Case or official interpretation about this?  I asked ISAF but did not receive any reply...

Phil

OA was Warnemuender Woche (Club WSC e.v.) in cooperation with International Class Association. WW says 44, ICA says 40.

Phil

···

gordon davies

Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:39 PM

Taking entries is not a Race Committee function, although they may reject or cancel the entry of a boat or exclude a competitor, see Rule 76.1.

Gordon

Philippe De Troy

47 sent and entry form

My answer as measurer and class representative was 40, but the RC said 44...

Phil

In this case, the requirements seem to have been that the boat paid the entry fee and passed measurement control. Starting or finishing a race are not requirements for entering. So you figures do not show the number of boats entered (as a boat may have paid, been measured  but then did not sail)! The number of entries was 44 or less but greater or equal to 40!
  How many boats, showed up, paid and measured... including those who never started a race.

Gordon

Easy? Not sure.

47 sent an entry form

44 paid

Phil

Which is why sailing needs good judges! If I had to hear such an affaire I would tend to say that entered = fully paid up and measured.

Gordon

···

Philippe De Troy

Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 7:15 PM

OA was Warnemuender Woche (Club WSC e.v.) in cooperation with International Class Association. WW says 44, ICA says 40.

Phil

Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:39 PM

Taking entries is not a Race Committee function, although they may reject or cancel  the entry of a boat or exclude a competitor, see Rule 76.1.

Gordon

47 sent and entry form

My answer as measurer and class representative was 40, but the RC said 44...

Phil

Gordon

Easy? Not sure.

47 sent an entry form

44 paid

Phil