Importing Race Data from a Handicapped Race

We use Sailwave as our primary scoring software but at times we suffer from periods of not having a Sailwave trained officer available. Therefore race results were going weeks before being calculated/posted.

As a work-around I created a spreadsheet that will do the handicap calculations on a race by race basis. These would be posted as preliminary.

What I desired was that this data would now be exported/imported into Sailwave for series calculations. I had hoped to let Sailwave redo the handicap calculations. What I found was that Sailwave doesn't seem to import the Windstrength variable used by the USSA Portsmouth handicap system (Although WindRat is an importable variable). It also doesn't seem to import the race date. So I would end up with over 20 race 1's over a season.

I have arrived at the conclusion that the spreadsheet will need to export the handicap corrected elapsed time. I tried to create a system of uniquely identifying the races but Sailwave didn't appear to be comfortable with race numbers like 403771. So, other than creating tear-off sheets like the old secret one time code days I haven't figured out how to synchronize the on the water sheets to the spreadsheet to the Sailwave results.

Has someone else managed to beat this horse?

No but if you ever get this working I’d be interested to try it. I’d also be interested if there are any other ways to capture data on the spot and import it
later such as via an Android phone or something to avoid me taking my laptop to all our open meetings. I was even considering an Android app to do it so if there is any experience in Android programming out there let me know.

Pat

Sailing sec, Signet Class Owners Association

···

Pat Overs, Principal IC Engineer

Ember Europe Ltd

Unit 300,
Science
Park

Cambridge

Cambs CB4 0XL

Direct +44(0)1223 395782

Switchboard +44(0)1223 423322

Fax +44(0)1223 423390

Mobile +44(0)7812 124690

www.ember.com

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of bbarss2001
Sent: 18 August 2011 22:47
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sailwave] Importing Race Data from a Handicapped Race

We use Sailwave as our primary scoring software but at times we suffer from periods of not having a Sailwave trained officer available. Therefore race results were going weeks before being calculated/posted.

As a work-around I created a spreadsheet that will do the handicap calculations on a race by race basis. These would be posted as preliminary.

What I desired was that this data would now be exported/imported into Sailwave for series calculations. I had hoped to let Sailwave redo the handicap calculations. What I found was that Sailwave doesn’t seem to import the Windstrength variable used by the USSA
Portsmouth handicap system (Although WindRat is an importable variable). It also doesn’t seem to import the race date. So I would end up with over 20 race 1’s over a season.

I have arrived at the conclusion that the spreadsheet will need to export the handicap corrected elapsed time. I tried to create a system of uniquely identifying the races but Sailwave didn’t appear to be comfortable with race numbers like 403771. So, other
than creating tear-off sheets like the old secret one time code days I haven’t figured out how to synchronize the on the water sheets to the spreadsheet to the Sailwave results.

Hi,

Is it really that much easier putting the info into a spreadsheet than into Sailwave especially if you preconfigure Sailwave for the user? Sailwave is very easy to use once you have configured it for the type of racing that you are doing.

My initial thoughts are to make it easy for the people to use Sailwave directly - although I appreciate I don’t understand your situation fully.

Having said that I have developed some software to enable Sailwave to support a progressive handicap. It does this by reading data from Sailwave into Excel - does the calculations in Excel and writes the new Handicap back into the appropriate race in Sailwave (Sailwave supports using a different handicap for each race).

The way this currently works is there is a template excel Spreadsheet with 2 Worksheets (Main and Config). The Main worksheet contains all the Formulas for calculating the new rating. The config worksheet specifies what data is retreived from Sailwave and where in the Main Worksheet the data is placed. It also specifies where the new calculated ratings can be found in the Main Worksheet and these get written back to Sailwave.

It could be an interesting project to make this Sailwave to Excel and Excel to Sailwave a more universal solution. If you think this may be useful then let me know

Regards

Jon

···

On 18 August 2011 22:46, bbarss2001 bbarss@telusplanet.net wrote:

What I desired was that this data would now be exported/imported into Sailwave for series calculations. I had hoped to let Sailwave redo the handicap calculations. What I found was that Sailwave doesn’t seem to import the Windstrength variable used by the USSA Portsmouth handicap system (Although WindRat is an importable variable). It also doesn’t seem to import the race date. So I would end up with over 20 race 1’s over a season.

I have arrived at the conclusion that the spreadsheet will need to export the handicap corrected elapsed time. I tried to create a system of uniquely identifying the races but Sailwave didn’t appear to be comfortable with race numbers like 403771. So, other than creating tear-off sheets like the old secret one time code days I haven’t figured out how to synchronize the on the water sheets to the spreadsheet to the Sailwave results.

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Hi Pat

What a good idea, I'd not thought of that before. I have a Flash application I use to capture data to import into Sailwave ( I use it cos I maintain two series and I just find that the easiest way to do it). Android does have a Flash player, so it would play, but will need modding to work on a smaller screen size.

What facilities would you consider desirable? And what about screen size, do you think 800x480 is acceptable?

Wasn't Colin doing some development of a new system in Flash for use on Win, Linux & Mac? If so that will play on Android.

cheers
Tony

···

At 10:28 19/08/2011, Pat Overs wrote:

No but if you ever get this working I’d be interested to try it. I’d also be interested if there are any other ways to capture data on the spot and import it later such as via an Android phone or something to avoid me taking my laptop to all our open meetings. I was even considering an Android app to do it so if there is any experience in Android programming out there let me know.

Pat

Ember Europe Ltd

Unit 300, Science Park

Cambridge

Cambs CB4 0XL

Direct +44(0)1223 395782

Fax +44(0)1223 423390

Mobile +44(0)7812 124690

<http://www.ember.com/>www.ember.com

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of bbarss2001

What I desired was that this data would now be exported/imported into Sailwave for series calculations. I had hoped to let Sailwave redo the handicap calculations. What I found was that Sailwave doesn't seem to import the Windstrength variable used by the USSA Portsmouth handicap system (Although WindRat is an importable variable). It also doesn't seem to import the race date. So I would end up with over 20 race 1's over a season.

I have arrived at the conclusion that the spreadsheet will need to export the handicap corrected elapsed time. I tried to create a system of uniquely identifying the races but Sailwave didn't appear to be comfortable with race numbers like 403771. So, other than creating tear-off sheets like the old secret one time code days I haven't figured out how to synchronize the on the water sheets to the spreadsheet to the Sailwave results.

Hi Pat,

There has been some discussions on capturing results on the phone or tablet earlier this year and I have written software that will take sail numbers and postions (also OCS etc) from a spreadsheet and automatically enter them into Sailwave - We did use this at the ISAF youth nationals. Results were entered into spreadsheet on the mobile phone on the water and then emailed to shore. My program then took this and wrote the results straight into Sailwave. This currently only works for Class racing as it only supports positions rather than times although if there is an interest then I could expand it to support times.

My program will also create the spreadsheet with a lookup table to verify the sailno entered are valid

Jon

···

On 19 August 2011 10:28, Pat Overs pat.overs@ember.com wrote:

No but if you ever get this working I’d be interested to try it. I’d also be interested if there are any other ways to capture data on the spot and import it
later such as via an Android phone or something to avoid me taking my laptop to all our open meetings. I was even considering an Android app to do it so if there is any experience in Android programming out there let me know.

Pat

Ember Europe Ltd

Unit 300,
Science
Park

Cambridge

Cambs CB4 0XL

Direct +44(0)1223 395782

Fax +44(0)1223 423390

Mobile +44(0)7812 124690

www.ember.com

On Behalf Of bbarss2001

What I desired was that this data would now be exported/imported into Sailwave for series calculations. I had hoped to let Sailwave redo the handicap calculations. What I found was that Sailwave doesn’t seem to import the Windstrength variable used by the USSA
Portsmouth handicap system (Although WindRat is an importable variable). It also doesn’t seem to import the race date. So I would end up with over 20 race 1’s over a season.

I have arrived at the conclusion that the spreadsheet will need to export the handicap corrected elapsed time. I tried to create a system of uniquely identifying the races but Sailwave didn’t appear to be comfortable with race numbers like 403771. So, other
than creating tear-off sheets like the old secret one time code days I haven’t figured out how to synchronize the on the water sheets to the spreadsheet to the Sailwave results.

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

In a similar vein I’d like to be able to have one central file of
boats, sail numbers, helms etc that Sailwave can look up when
entering results for a new entrant. We have four main series during
the season and its a real pain having to enter boats when setting up
each file. Currently the get-around is to use a previous file,
delete the races, edit the discard profile and rename for the new
series. However there are inevitably new entrants but in 99% of
cases they are already members of the club so we have their boat
details in an Excel file. If Sailwave could use that it would be
great.

···

-- Kind regards
Graham Pinkney
Club Administrator

office@stmawessailing.co.ukwww.stmawessailing.co.uk

Hi Jon,

Class racing only would be fine for me as that’s what I mostly do. Adding the ability to do handicapping would be a luxury we could use back home at the club
if that were to be possible at a later date. How do I get hold of this program of yours?

Pat

···

Ember Europe Ltd

Unit 300,
Science
Park

Cambridge

Cambs CB4 0XL

Direct +44(0)1223 395782

Fax +44(0)1223 423390

Mobile +44(0)7812 124690

www.ember.com

On Behalf Of Jon Eskdale
Sent: 19 August 2011 11:07
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Importing Race Data from a Handicapped Race

Hi Pat,

There has been some discussions on capturing results on the phone or tablet earlier this year and I have written software that will take sail numbers and postions (also OCS etc) from a spreadsheet and automatically enter them into Sailwave -
We did use this at the ISAF youth nationals. Results were entered into spreadsheet on the mobile phone on the water and then emailed to shore. My program then took this and wrote the results straight into Sailwave. This currently only works for Class racing
as it only supports positions rather than times although if there is an interest then I could expand it to support times.

My program will also create the spreadsheet with a lookup table to verify the sailno entered are valid

Jon

No but if you ever get this working I’d be interested to try it. I’d also be interested if there are any other ways to capture data on the spot and import it later such as via an Android phone or something to avoid
me taking my laptop to all our open meetings. I was even considering an Android app to do it so if there is any experience in Android programming out there let me know.

Pat

Ember Europe Ltd

Unit 300, Science Park

Cambridge

Cambs CB4 0XL

Direct
+44(0)1223 395782

Switchboard
+44(0)1223 423322

Fax
+44(0)1223 423390

Mobile
+44(0)7812 124690

www.ember.com

sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of bbarss2001

Jon Eskdale

07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Hi Tony,

I’m usually I’m a fan of keeping things simple so perhaps something like this. If anything else comes to mind I’ll let you know:

·
Entering new boats easily that haven’t been to previous opens – most of the boats we get do the whole series but some only do one or two. Helm, crew,
sail number are all I’d need I think. Other data is less important and can be added back at base.

·
Entering race results/codes say from a pulldown for each boat or from the onscreen keyboard

·
Scoring an individual event of 3 races (scoring the series can be done back on the laptop)

·
Exporting a set of races with results to import on the laptop

·
Data file should be in ascii text so problems can be debugged :wink:

·
480x800 screen is fine – that’s what my phone has

Pat

···

Ember Europe Ltd

Unit 300,
Science
Park

Cambridge

Cambs CB4 0XL

Direct +44(0)1223 395782

Fax +44(0)1223 423390

Mobile +44(0)7812 124690

www.ember.com

On Behalf Of Tony Tucker
Sent: 19 August 2011 10:55
Subject: RE: [sailwave] Importing Race Data from a Handicapped Race

Hi Pat

What a good idea, I’d not thought of
that before. I have a Flash application I use to
capture data to import into Sailwave ( I use it
cos I maintain two series and I just find that
the easiest way to do it). Android does have a
Flash player, so it would play, but will need
modding to work on a smaller screen size.

What facilities would you consider
desirable? And what about screen size, do you think 800x480 is acceptable?

Wasn’t Colin doing some development of a
new system in Flash for use on Win, Linux & Mac?
If so that will play on Android.

cheers
Tony

No but if you ever get this working I’d be
interested to try it. I’d also be interested if
there are any other ways to capture data on the
spot and import it later such as via an Android
phone or something to avoid me taking my laptop
to all our open meetings. I was even considering
an Android app to do it so if there is any
experience in Android programming out there let me know.

Pat

Ember Europe Ltd

Unit 300, Science Park

Cambridge

Cambs CB4 0XL

Direct +44(0)1223 395782

Fax +44(0)1223 423390

Mobile +44(0)7812 124690

[mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of bbarss2001

We use Sailwave as our primary scoring software
but at times we suffer from periods of not
having a Sailwave trained officer available.
Therefore race results were going weeks before being calculated/posted.

As a work-around I created a spreadsheet that
will do the handicap calculations on a race by
race basis. These would be posted as preliminary.

What I desired was that this data would now be
exported/imported into Sailwave for series
calculations. I had hoped to let Sailwave redo
the handicap calculations. What I found was that
Sailwave doesn’t seem to import the Windstrength
variable used by the USSA Portsmouth handicap
system (Although WindRat is an importable
variable). It also doesn’t seem to import the
race date. So I would end up with over 20 race 1’s over a season.

I have arrived at the conclusion that the
spreadsheet will need to export the handicap
corrected elapsed time. I tried to create a
system of uniquely identifying the races but
Sailwave didn’t appear to be comfortable with
race numbers like 403771. So, other than
creating tear-off sheets like the old secret one
time code days I haven’t figured out how to
synchronize the on the water sheets to the spreadsheet to the Sailwave results.

You don't think timing is a sensible requirement? The application doesn't do that at the moment, but it could be added.

The scoring 3 races thing is the issue, that would start to introduce all sorts of issues, like handicapping system, discards, etc etc. Is it worth doing just as an entry and export application?

I'll see what I can do over the winter, and look to get first attempt out by early next year.

cheers
Tony

···

At 11:20 19/08/2011, Pat Overs wrote:

Hi Tony,

I’m usually I’m a fan of keeping things simple so perhaps something like this. If anything else comes to mind I’ll let you know:

· Entering new boats easily that haven’t been to previous opens – most of the boats we get do the whole series but some only do one or two. Helm, crew, sail number are all I’d need I think. Other data is less important and can be added back at base.

· Entering race results/codes say from a pulldown for each boat or from the onscreen keyboard

· Scoring an individual event of 3 races (scoring the series can be done back on the laptop)

· Exporting a set of races with results to import on the laptop

· Data file should be in ascii text so problems can be debugged :wink:

· 480x800 screen is fine – that’s what my phone has

Pat

Ember Europe Ltd

Unit 300, Science Park

Cambridge

Cambs CB4 0XL

Direct +44(0)1223 395782

Fax +44(0)1223 423390

Mobile +44(0)7812 124690

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tony Tucker

Hi Pat

What a good idea, I'd not thought of

Wasn't Colin doing some development of a

cheers
Tony

>
>No but if you ever get this working I’d be
>interested to try it. I’d also be interested if
>there are any other ways to capture data on the
>spot and import it later such as via an Android
>phone or something to avoid me taking my laptop
>to all our open meetings. I was even considering
>an Android app to do it so if there is any
>experience in Android programming out there let me know.
>
>Pat
>
>Sailing sec, Signet Class Owners Association
>
>___________________________
>
>Pat Overs, Principal IC Engineer
>
>Ember Europe Ltd
>
>Unit 300, Science Park
>
>Cambridge
>
>Cambs CB4 0XL
>
>Direct +44(0)1223 395782
>
>Switchboard +44(0)1223 423322
>
>Fax +44(0)1223 423390
>
>Mobile +44(0)7812 124690
>
><<http://www.ember.com/>http://www.ember.com/>www.ember.com
>
>From: <mailto:sailwave%40yahoogroups.com>sailwave@yahoogroups.com
>[mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of bbarss2001
>Sent: 18 August 2011 22:47
>To: <mailto:sailwave%40yahoogroups.com>sailwave@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [sailwave] Importing Race Data from a Handicapped Race
>
>We use Sailwave as our primary scoring software
>but at times we suffer from periods of not
>having a Sailwave trained officer available.
>Therefore race results were going weeks before being calculated/posted.
>
>As a work-around I created a spreadsheet that
>will do the handicap calculations on a race by
>race basis. These would be posted as preliminary.
>
>What I desired was that this data would now be
>exported/imported into Sailwave for series
>calculations. I had hoped to let Sailwave redo
>the handicap calculations. What I found was that
>Sailwave doesn't seem to import the Windstrength
>variable used by the USSA Portsmouth handicap
>system (Although WindRat is an importable
>variable). It also doesn't seem to import the
>race date. So I would end up with over 20 race 1's over a season.
>
>I have arrived at the conclusion that the
>spreadsheet will need to export the handicap
>corrected elapsed time. I tried to create a
>system of uniquely identifying the races but
>Sailwave didn't appear to be comfortable with
>race numbers like 403771. So, other than
>creating tear-off sheets like the old secret one
>time code days I haven't figured out how to
>synchronize the on the water sheets to the spreadsheet to the Sailwave results.
>
>Has someone else managed to beat this horse?
>

Yes that would certainly be a good start. Thanks for volunteering.

Pat

···

Ember Europe Ltd

Unit 300,
Science
Park

Cambridge

Cambs CB4 0XL

Direct +44(0)1223 395782

Fax +44(0)1223 423390

Mobile +44(0)7812 124690

www.ember.com

On Behalf Of Tony Tucker
Sent: 19 August 2011 11:31

You don’t think timing is a sensible requirement?

The application doesn’t do that at the moment, but it could be added.

The scoring 3 races thing is the issue, that
would start to introduce all sorts of issues,
like handicapping system, discards, etc etc. Is
it worth doing just as an entry and export application?

I’ll see what I can do over the winter, and look
to get first attempt out by early next year.

cheers
Tony

At 11:20 19/08/2011, Pat Overs wrote:

Hi Tony,

I’m usually I’m a fan of keeping things simple
so perhaps something like this. If anything else
comes to mind I’ll let you know:

· Entering new boats easily that haven’t
been to previous opens – most of the boats we
get do the whole series but some only do one or
two. Helm, crew, sail number are all I’d need I
think. Other data is less important and can be added back at base.

· Entering race results/codes say from a
pulldown for each boat or from the onscreen keyboard

· Scoring an individual event of 3 races
(scoring the series can be done back on the laptop)

· Exporting a set of races with results to import on the laptop

· Data file should be in ascii text so problems can be debugged :wink:

· 480x800 screen is fine – that’s what my phone has

Pat

Ember Europe Ltd

Unit 300, Science Park

Cambridge

Cambs CB4 0XL

Direct +44(0)1223 395782

Fax +44(0)1223 423390

Mobile +44(0)7812 124690

[mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tony Tucker

Hi Pat

What a good idea, I’d not thought of

Wasn’t Colin doing some development of a

cheers
Tony

No but if you ever get this working I’d be
interested to try it. I’d also be interested if
there are any other ways to capture data on the
spot and import it later such as via an Android
phone or something to avoid me taking my laptop
to all our open meetings. I was even considering
an Android app to do it so if there is any
experience in Android programming out there let me know.

Pat

Ember Europe Ltd

Unit 300, Science Park

Cambridge

Cambs CB4 0XL

Direct +44(0)1223 395782

Fax +44(0)1223 423390

Mobile +44(0)7812 124690

<<http://www.ember.com/>http://www.ember.com/>www.ember.com

From: mailto:sailwave%40yahoogroups.comsailwave@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of bbarss2001
To: mailto:sailwave%40yahoogroups.comsailwave@yahoogroups.com

We use Sailwave as our primary scoring software
but at times we suffer from periods of not
having a Sailwave trained officer available.
Therefore race results were going weeks before being calculated/posted.

As a work-around I created a spreadsheet that
will do the handicap calculations on a race by
race basis. These would be posted as preliminary.

exported/imported into Sailwave for series
calculations. I had hoped to let Sailwave redo
the handicap calculations. What I found was that
Sailwave doesn’t seem to import the Windstrength
variable used by the USSA Portsmouth handicap
system (Although WindRat is an importable
variable). It also doesn’t seem to import the
race date. So I would end up with over 20 race 1’s over a season.

I have arrived at the conclusion that the
spreadsheet will need to export the handicap
corrected elapsed time. I tried to create a
system of uniquely identifying the races but
Sailwave didn’t appear to be comfortable with
race numbers like 403771. So, other than
creating tear-off sheets like the old secret one
time code days I haven’t figured out how to
synchronize the on the water sheets to the
spreadsheet to the Sailwave results.

Hi Graham,

The simplest way around this is to have a sailwave file with all your competitors for the year in it. Mark them all as excluded and sort them on a convenient field e.g. Sail number or Name, then as they enter simple remove the exclude. Once entry has closed just delete all excluded competitors.

This is what I always do for the UKWA events.

I have been thinking about putting together a SQLite database and importing them from that but I’m not sure you gain that much. Sailwave can import competitors from an Excel file anyway.

I’m on my way down to St Mawes this evening for the Weekend and also next weekend. Give me a call if you would like to meet up for a discussion on the topic

Regards

Jon

07976 709777

···

On 19 August 2011 11:10, St MawesSC Office office@stmawessailing.co.uk wrote:

In a similar vein I'd like to be able to have one central file of

great.

On 18/08/2011 22:46, bbarss2001 wrote:
          We use Sailwave as our primary scoring software but at

times we suffer from periods of not having a Sailwave
trained officer available. Therefore race results were
going weeks before being calculated/posted.

As a work-around I created a spreadsheet that will do the

handicap calculations on a race by race basis. These would
be posted as preliminary.

exported/imported into Sailwave for series calculations. I
had hoped to let Sailwave redo the handicap calculations.
What I found was that Sailwave doesn’t seem to import the
Windstrength variable used by the USSA Portsmouth handicap
system (Although WindRat is an importable variable). It
also doesn’t seem to import the race date. So I would end
up with over 20 race 1’s over a season.

I have arrived at the conclusion that the spreadsheet will

need to export the handicap corrected elapsed time. I
tried to create a system of uniquely identifying the races
but Sailwave didn’t appear to be comfortable with race
numbers like 403771. So, other than creating tear-off
sheets like the old secret one time code days I haven’t
figured out how to synchronize the on the water sheets to
the spreadsheet to the Sailwave results.

-- Kind regards
Graham Pinkney
Club Administrator
office@stmawessailing.co.uk
[www.stmawessailing.co.uk](http://www.stmawessailing.co.uk)

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Hi Pat,

The Results import is part of the Grand-Prix Finish Program

So there is some documentation here:-

https://sites.google.com/site/eskdalesite/home/sailwave-multi-lap-finishing-grand-prix

The program can be installed as part of the SWAddon’s

https://sites.google.com/site/eskdalesite/download

The latest update is at

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/220425/SWGP.zip

Regards

Jon

···

On 19 August 2011 11:11, Pat Overs pat.overs@ember.com wrote:

Hi Jon,

Class racing only would be fine for me as that’s what I mostly do. Adding the ability to do handicapping would be a luxury we could use back home at the club
if that were to be possible at a later date. How do I get hold of this program of yours?

Pat

Ember Europe Ltd

Unit 300,
Science
Park

Cambridge

Cambs CB4 0XL

Direct +44(0)1223 395782

Fax +44(0)1223 423390

Mobile +44(0)7812 124690

www.ember.com

On Behalf Of Jon Eskdale
Sent: 19 August 2011 11:07

Hi Pat,

There has been some discussions on capturing results on the phone or tablet earlier this year and I have written software that will take sail numbers and postions (also OCS etc) from a spreadsheet and automatically enter them into Sailwave -
We did use this at the ISAF youth nationals. Results were entered into spreadsheet on the mobile phone on the water and then emailed to shore. My program then took this and wrote the results straight into Sailwave. This currently only works for Class racing
as it only supports positions rather than times although if there is an interest then I could expand it to support times.

Jon

No but if you ever get this working I’d be interested to try it. I’d also be interested if there are any other ways to capture data on the spot and import it later such as via an Android phone or something to avoid
me taking my laptop to all our open meetings. I was even considering an Android app to do it so if there is any experience in Android programming out there let me know.

Pat

Ember Europe Ltd

Unit 300, Science Park

Cambridge

Cambs CB4 0XL

Direct
+44(0)1223 395782

Switchboard
+44(0)1223 423322

Fax
+44(0)1223 423390

Mobile
+44(0)7812 124690

www.ember.com

sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of bbarss2001

Jon Eskdale

07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

I usually just import my previous series and delete all the races when a new series starts. this leaves lots of extra boats that get counted as DNCs, but since our trophy winners never get DNCs anyway it doesn’t really matter.

I tried to clean this up by marking all the non racers as excluded and it worked great, except that now all the excluded racers are put at the top of the list both in the program and in the published html results file.

Am i missing something? How can i hide them if they are excluded without deleting them, which defeats the purpose.

Thanks,
Matt

···

Matt Woodall

Check out my wife’s new novel

Chasing (an adventure novel) by Kathryn Woodall,

~While hunting and killing evil, an unexpected part of Ottum’s past creates questions about who she is, what she does, and where her life will go. Together with her companion, Kai, Ottum must attempt the destruction of the evil creature without also killing her brother.

Buy Chasing at Smashwords (use code VH92K to get it for just $0.99 from Smashwords only), Amazon, or Barnes & Noble.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Jon Eskdale jon@eskdale.org wrote:

Hi Graham,

The simplest way around this is to have a sailwave file with all your competitors for the year in it. Mark them all as excluded and sort them on a convenient field e.g. Sail number or Name, then as they enter simple remove the exclude. Once entry has closed just delete all excluded competitors.

I have been thinking about putting together a SQLite database and importing them from that but I’m not sure you gain that much. Sailwave can import competitors from an Excel file anyway.

I’m on my way down to St Mawes this evening for the Weekend and also next weekend. Give me a call if you would like to meet up for a discussion on the topic

Regards

Jon

07976 709777

great.

-- Kind regards
Graham Pinkney
Club Administrator

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

I also do that.
If you then go to view then hide exclusions and score again hey presto.
Barry Sticklen
Lymingot town SC

···

Sender: sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:32:35 -0500

ReplyTo: sailwave@yahoogroups.com

I usually just import my previous series and delete all the races when a new series starts. this leaves lots of extra boats that get counted as DNCs, but since our trophy winners never get DNCs anyway it doesn’t really matter.

I tried to clean this up by marking all the non racers as excluded and it worked great, except that now all the excluded racers are put at the top of the list both in the program and in the published html results file.

Am i missing something? How can i hide them if they are excluded without deleting them, which defeats the purpose.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Woodall

~While hunting and killing evil, an unexpected part of Ottum’s past creates questions about who she is, what she does, and where her life will go. Together with her companion, Kai, Ottum must attempt the destruction of the evil creature without also killing her brother.

Buy Chasing at Smashwords (use code VH92K to get it for just $0.99 from Smashwords only), Amazon, or Barnes & Noble.

Hi Graham,

Regards

Jon

07976 709777

great.

-- Kind regards
Graham Pinkney
Club Administrator

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Select View' , then Hide excluded competitors’

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

···

----- Original Message -----

Matt Woodall

Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 11:32 PM

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Woodall

Chasing (an adventure novel) by *** Kathryn Woodall,***

• ~While hunting and killing evil, an unexpected part of Ottum’s past creates questions about who she is, what she does, and where her life will go. Together with her companion, Kai, Ottum must attempt the destruction of the evil creature without also killing her brother.*

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Jon Eskdale jon@eskdale.org > wrote:

Hi Graham,

The simplest way around this is to have a sailwave file with all your competitors for the year in it.  Mark them all as excluded and sort them on a convenient field e.g. Sail number or Name, then as they enter simple remove the exclude.  Once entry has closed just delete all excluded competitors.

I have been thinking about putting together a SQLite database and importing them from that but I'm not sure you gain that much.  Sailwave can import competitors from an Excel file anyway.
I'm on my way down to St Mawes this evening for the Weekend and also next weekend.  Give me a call if you would like to meet up for a discussion on the topic

Regards

Jon

07976 709777

In a similar vein I'd like to be able to have one central file of boats, sail numbers, helms etc that Sailwave can look up when entering results for a new entrant. We have four main series during the season and its a real pain having to enter boats when setting up each file. Currently the get-around is to use a previous file, delete the races, edit the discard profile and rename for the new series. However there are inevitably new entrants but in 99% of cases they are already members of the club so we have their boat details in an Excel file. If Sailwave could use that it would be great.

-- Kind regards
Graham Pinkney
Club Administrator

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Malcom,
Thanks, that sounds like exactly what I need.

Matt

···

Matt Woodall

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Malcolm Osborne malcolmo@telkomsa.net wrote:

Select View' , then Hide excluded competitors’

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

----- Original Message -----

Matt Woodall

Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 11:32 PM

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Woodall

Chasing (an adventure novel) by *** Kathryn Woodall,***

• ~While hunting and killing evil, an unexpected part of Ottum’s past creates questions about who she is, what she does, and where her life will go. Together with her companion, Kai, Ottum must attempt the destruction of the evil creature without also killing her brother.*

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Jon Eskdale jon@eskdale.org > > wrote:

Hi Graham,

The simplest way around this is to have a sailwave file with all your competitors for the year in it.  Mark them all as excluded and sort them on a convenient field e.g. Sail number or Name, then as they enter simple remove the exclude.  Once entry has closed just delete all excluded competitors.

I have been thinking about putting together a SQLite database and importing them from that but I'm not sure you gain that much.  Sailwave can import competitors from an Excel file anyway.
I'm on my way down to St Mawes this evening for the Weekend and also next weekend.  Give me a call if you would like to meet up for a discussion on the topic

Regards

Jon

07976 709777

In a similar vein I'd like to be able to have one central file of boats, sail numbers, helms etc that Sailwave can look up when entering results for a new entrant. We have four main series during the season and its a real pain having to enter boats when setting up each file. Currently the get-around is to use a previous file, delete the races, edit the discard profile and rename for the new series. However there are inevitably new entrants but in 99% of cases they are already members of the club so we have their boat details in an Excel file. If Sailwave could use that it would be great.

-- Kind regards
Graham Pinkney
Club Administrator

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Hi Matt,

You can hide the excluded competitors by selecting View - Hide excluded competitors.

Note - You can deleted all excluded competitors only if the Hide excluded competitors is turned off

Regards

Jon

···

On 22 August 2011 22:32, Matt Woodall matt@woodall.cc wrote:

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Woodall

Hi Graham,

Regards

Jon

07976 709777

great.

-- Kind regards
Graham Pinkney
Club Administrator

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”