Installation

A newcomer’s question: I used the advanced install option because it appeared that a lot of unwanted software was going to be included in the installation. I would rather send $20 to the developer(s) than have these unnecessary applications and packages. Unfortunately, because I declined the standard install and the additional add-ons it appears that Sailwave was not installed. It does not show up in my “Program” list under Windows XP nor was a shortcut installed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

regards

John

Hi John,

There is not much - if anything you can take out of the install without losing some functionality.

For what it does it is an incredibly small program the whole installer (including the installer itself) is less than 2MB - Thats smaller than most photos.

If you wish you can download the zip version and unzip it if you would like to see what its going to install

Feel free to give me a call if you want to discuss it

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

On 9 September 2013 17:11, jwnelson4157@gmail.com wrote:

A newcomer’s question: I used the advanced install option because it appeared that a lot of unwanted software was going to be included in the installation. I would rather send $20 to the developer(s) than have these unnecessary applications and packages. Unfortunately, because I declined the standard install and the additional add-ons it appears that Sailwave was not installed. It does not show up in my “Program” list under Windows XP nor was a shortcut installed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

regards

John

Many thanks, Jon! If I do a standard install but decline the 3-4 other “options,” will that do the trick?

···

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Jon Eskdale jon@sailwave.com wrote:

Hi John,

There is not much - if anything you can take out of the install without losing some functionality.

For what it does it is an incredibly small program the whole installer (including the installer itself) is less than 2MB - Thats smaller than most photos.

If you wish you can download the zip version and unzip it if you would like to see what its going to install

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

regards

John

Hi John,

Are you sure you are running the installer from the Sailwave site (Not from some third party site) as there are no options in the installer.

The installer should be less than 2MB in size.

Can you confirm what version you are installing

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

On 9 September 2013 18:44, J W Nelson jwnelson4157@gmail.com wrote:

Many thanks, Jon! If I do a standard install but decline the 3-4 other “options,” will that do the trick?

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

regards

John

Yikes! I used the right-hand side “download” instead of clicking “Download” on the menu. Can you say “user error”???

THANKS!

···

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Jon Eskdale jon@sailwave.com wrote:

Hi John,

Are you sure you are running the installer from the Sailwave site (Not from some third party site) as there are no options in the installer.

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

regards

John

Not really user error. When I looked at the site just now the header had three things, the Sailwave logo on the left, a big DOWNLOAD button in the middle, and a couple of words on the far right. Apart from the logo, the rest was an advert, served up by Google Adsense on behalf of some other company.

By deliberately omitting any real description in the advert, the advertiser effectively hijacks the product on whose page the advert is displayed. Personally I think Google Adsense should have a stronger policy on that. It is basically a scam.

In the absence of action by Google, the site design should perhaps be changed to make the real Sailwave download more prominent, with adverts all lower down on the page. Probably cuts advertising revenue though, and that is what is paying for all the nice features!

Meanwhile, the nice thing about Adsense is that the adverts tend to be tagged with Google +1 buttons, so the rule is, if it has a G+1, don’t click it.

Ian

···

On 9 September 2013 18:56, J W Nelson jwnelson4157@gmail.com wrote:

Yikes! I used the right-hand side “download” instead of clicking “Download” on the menu. Can you say “user error”???

THANKS!

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

regards

John

Thank you, Ian. A good reminder to me to always read the screen carefully!

···

best regards,

John
www.JWNelson.net

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Ian Savell iansavell@gmail.com wrote:

Not really user error. When I looked at the site just now the header had three things, the Sailwave logo on the left, a big DOWNLOAD button in the middle, and a couple of words on the far right. Apart from the logo, the rest was an advert, served up by Google Adsense on behalf of some other company.

By deliberately omitting any real description in the advert, the advertiser effectively hijacks the product on whose page the advert is displayed. Personally I think Google Adsense should have a stronger policy on that. It is basically a scam.

In the absence of action by Google, the site design should perhaps be changed to make the real Sailwave download more prominent, with adverts all lower down on the page. Probably cuts advertising revenue though, and that is what is paying for all the nice features!

Meanwhile, the nice thing about Adsense is that the adverts tend to be tagged with Google +1 buttons, so the rule is, if it has a G+1, don’t click it.

Ian

THANKS!

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

regards

John

i spent a long time filtering out the ‘download’ adverts but new urls for them just keep appearing so i gave up.

···

Cheers,

Colin J

http://sailwave.com

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Ian Savell iansavell@gmail.com wrote:

Ian

THANKS!

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

regards

John

Colin/Jon this does seem to be a recurrent theme!

Completely get that ads bring some much needed revenue for sailwave to keep running. (Mind you I would be curious how much as I’ve never had much luck with them bringing me income!)

Not sure how sophisticated the CMS is. Can it not render the ad on the download page only? That seems to (currently) be the page that has the Download Link…?

Been caught with it once before.

Calum

···

Cheers,

Colin J

Ian

THANKS!

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

regards

John

Hi Calum,

This is really one for Colin as he looks after the Website - He pays for the web hosting and any income from the Ads go toward this, which as I understand get close to but don’t fully pay for the hosting costs. Within the Ad configuration, if there is some specific ad that we object to it is possible to reject this Ad. Colin as he said spent time disabling the Ads with big download buttons but all that happens is a day later they change the Ad slightly and it gets re-enabled so its a losing battle, unless you want to be editing the black list every day, and we all have better things to do. Sailwave is really a labour of love. Colin has put many hundreds of hours into it over the years, as have I the last few years. Ignoring my time I have spent at least £750 this year on cost specific to developing Sailwave, such as updates to the software development software used exclusively for Sailwave and have received approx £150 in donations. I do it because I enjoy it but it does take a lot of time, and any way where there is some method of offsetting the cost we have to take it. I agree that in the perfect world there would be no Ads but with a bit of care you can avoid them. I hope you agree that this is better than charging for Sailwave.

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

On 11 September 2013 08:29, yahoo@wittongilbert.free-online.co.uk wrote:

Completely get that ads bring some much needed revenue for sailwave to keep running. (Mind you I would be curious how much as I’ve never had much luck with them bringing me income!)

Not sure how sophisticated the CMS is. Can it not render the ad on the download page only? That seems to (currently) be the page that has the Download Link…?

Calum

On 2013-09-09 22:17, Colin Jenkins wrote:

i spent a long time filtering out the ‘download’ adverts but new urls for them just keep appearing so i gave up.

Cheers,

Colin J

Ian

THANKS!

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

regards

John

Well, in my case, all I needed to do was read the screen more carefully and select the “Download” option from the Sailwave menu, rather than from the advertising side-bar. <argh!>

Thanks again for your interest and efforts!

···

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 12:29 AM, yahoo@wittongilbert.free-online.co.uk wrote:

Calum

Cheers,

Colin J

Ian

THANKS!

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

regards

John

google ads have a little x top right - internet wide - if you click that while logged into google it’ll learn you don’t like that type of ad. if motivated one could keep refreshing the sailwave site and click x for all the download ads and eventually they’ll go away - ditto elsewhere on the web… i just did it - getting vodafone ads now instead. i’ve started doing it whatever site i’m on.

ps: if would be useful if when visiting the sailwave site - users click a few ads… i’m not supposed to say that but… ps: don’t all go there now - it’ll be obvious! - just when you happen to be there…

As John says they help cover the virtual server.

···

Cheers,

Colin J

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM, J W Nelson jwnelson4157@gmail.com wrote:

Well, in my case, all I needed to do was read the screen more carefully and select the “Download” option from the Sailwave menu, rather than from the advertising side-bar. <argh!>

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Calum

Cheers,

Colin J

Ian

THANKS!

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

regards

John

Will do, Colin!

···

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Colin Jenkins colin@sailwave.com wrote:

google ads have a little x top right - internet wide - if you click that while logged into google it’ll learn you don’t like that type of ad. if motivated one could keep refreshing the sailwave site and click x for all the download ads and eventually they’ll go away - ditto elsewhere on the web… i just did it - getting vodafone ads now instead. i’ve started doing it whatever site i’m on.

ps: if would be useful if when visiting the sailwave site - users click a few ads… i’m not supposed to say that but… ps: don’t all go there now - it’ll be obvious! - just when you happen to be there…

As John says they help cover the virtual server.

Cheers,

Colin J

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Calum

Cheers,

Colin J

Ian

THANKS!

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

regards

John

Another way to help is using the Amazon links on the Shop page:-

http://www.sailwave.com/shop

e.g. in the UK edit your Amazon bookmark to add

?tag=sailwave-21

to the URL.

I then get a tiny fraction of every purchase you make - which all helps to keep the server going…

···

Cheers,

Colin J

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Calum

Cheers,

Colin J

Ian

THANKS!

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

best regards,
John
www.JWNelson.net

Hi John,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
Sailwave

03333 443377

07976 709777

regards

John