ISAF RRS 2013..2016, Zone definition

In RRS 2013..2016 the text allowing SIs to alter the definition of the Zone from the default of 3 boat lengths to 2 or 4 boat lengths has been removed (Rule 86.1(b)) compared to RRS 2009..2012.

As far as I can see it is now not possible for a club to define a Zone of 2 or 4 boat lengths in its SIs.
Is my interpretation correct or is there a clause somewhere in RRS 2013..2016 that allows Zones of other than 3 boat lengths? (Apart from the provisions in some of the Appendices for Match racing, etc.)

My club SIs currently define the Zone as 2 boat lengths as we sail on a fairly small gravel pit. Will we have to use 3 boat lengths from 01-JAN-2013?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

You are mostly correct. The clause that specifically allowed changing the Zone to either two or four hull lengths has been removed from RRS 86.1(b). I believe a survey found that almost no one was changing the size of the Zone so the clause was removed as unneeded.

However, it is still possible to change "unchangeable" rule via RRS 86.3, if your MNA allows it. You simply take the position that it is for "testing" purposes.

Nevertheless, for consistency with other events, it might be better to just stick with three hull lengths.

Art

···

On 9/28/2012 10:42 AM, Mike wrote:

In RRS 2013..2016 the text allowing SIs to alter the definition of the Zone from the default of 3 boat lengths to 2 or 4 boat lengths has been removed (Rule 86.1(b)) compared to RRS 2009..2012.

As far as I can see it is now not possible for a club to define a Zone of 2 or 4 boat lengths in its SIs.
Is my interpretation correct or is there a clause somewhere in RRS 2013..2016 that allows Zones of other than 3 boat lengths? (Apart from the provisions in some of the Appendices for Match racing, etc.)

My club SIs currently define the Zone as 2 boat lengths as we sail on a fairly small gravel pit. Will we have to use 3 boat lengths from 01-JAN-2013?

Thanks,
Mike

The zone is still 2 hull lengths for match and team racing, 4 for RC racing, so the principle of modifying the zone is still in the rules.

Question - what length of boats are you sailing on your gravel pit? What percentage of average leg length would be 1 hull length of boats sailed?

Gordon

···

On 28/09/2012 21:22, Art Engel wrote:

Mike,

You are mostly correct. The clause that specifically allowed changing
the Zone to either two or four hull lengths has been removed from RRS
86.1(b). I believe a survey found that almost no one was changing the
size of the Zone so the clause was removed as unneeded.

However, it is still possible to change "unchangeable" rule via RRS
86.3, if your MNA allows it. You simply take the position that it is for
"testing" purposes.

Nevertheless, for consistency with other events, it might be better to
just stick with three hull lengths.

Art

On 9/28/2012 10:42 AM, Mike wrote:
> In RRS 2013..2016 the text allowing SIs to alter the definition of the Zone from the default of 3 boat lengths to 2 or 4 boat lengths has been removed (Rule 86.1(b)) compared to RRS 2009..2012.
>
> As far as I can see it is now not possible for a club to define a Zone of 2 or 4 boat lengths in its SIs.
> Is my interpretation correct or is there a clause somewhere in RRS 2013..2016 that allows Zones of other than 3 boat lengths? (Apart from the provisions in some of the Appendices for Match racing, etc.)
>
> My club SIs currently define the Zone as 2 boat lengths as we sail on a fairly small gravel pit. Will we have to use 3 boat lengths from 01-JAN-2013?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Gordon, Art,
thanks for your comments. Apologies for the delay in my reply - sailing!

As Art has indicated the only option appears to be a national exemption under Rule 86.3.
I can see the argument for being consistent, it is tricky enough trying to figure out if an overlap exists or not without the added complication of different zone sizes at different venues/clubs.

In answer to Gordon's query, leg lengths at our pond can be of the order of 200m, and a Wayfarer has a length of just under 5m.

Different zone sizes for Match racing, etc., are defined in RRS Appendices as Gordon points out - and these are also "unchangeable" as the Appendices are identified as 'excluded' in 86.1(b) (possible exception by national authority in 86.3).

Cheers,
Mike

···

--- In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Davies <gordondavies@...> wrote:

The zone is still 2 hull lengths for match and team racing, 4 for RC
racing, so the principle of modifying the zone is still in the rules.

Question - what length of boats are you sailing on your gravel pit? What
percentage of average leg length would be 1 hull length of boats sailed?

Gordon

On 28/09/2012 21:22, Art Engel wrote:
>
> Mike,
>
> You are mostly correct. The clause that specifically allowed changing
> the Zone to either two or four hull lengths has been removed from RRS
> 86.1(b). I believe a survey found that almost no one was changing the
> size of the Zone so the clause was removed as unneeded.
>
> However, it is still possible to change "unchangeable" rule via RRS
> 86.3, if your MNA allows it. You simply take the position that it is for
> "testing" purposes.
>
> Nevertheless, for consistency with other events, it might be better to
> just stick with three hull lengths.
>
> Art
>
> On 9/28/2012 10:42 AM, Mike wrote:
> > In RRS 2013..2016 the text allowing SIs to alter the definition of
> the Zone from the default of 3 boat lengths to 2 or 4 boat lengths has
> been removed (Rule 86.1(b)) compared to RRS 2009..2012.
> >
> > As far as I can see it is now not possible for a club to define a
> Zone of 2 or 4 boat lengths in its SIs.
> > Is my interpretation correct or is there a clause somewhere in RRS
> 2013..2016 that allows Zones of other than 3 boat lengths? (Apart from
> the provisions in some of the Appendices for Match racing, etc.)
> >
> > My club SIs currently define the Zone as 2 boat lengths as we sail
> on a fairly small gravel pit. Will we have to use 3 boat lengths from
> 01-JAN-2013?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
>
>