New sailwave user here, just on start, from Serbia

I need step by step instructions for making properties for optimist
regatta of 4 groups. I have 80 competitors already made yellow, white,
blue and red groups of 20 sailors, and now can't find how to make
inputs for races ...
Thank you
Lagator

Hi Lagator

What type of flights (group) racing are you using?

Is it a Round Robin where a boat stays in the same flight for all races in the regatta & the flights race with different colours?

eg

RACE 1: 1st start - yellow & white. 2nd start - blue & red

RACE 2: 1st start - yellow & blue. 2nd start - white & red

RACE 3: etc

The other type of flights racing is when boats change flights at the end of each day or at the end of the Qualification series

Anders & Martin from Sweden & Norway are the Optimist ‘experts’ so please join in on the discussion if you wish guys

Regards

Ralph

···

Sent: 28 April 2007 06:55
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sailwave] lagator

I need help:

blue and red groups of 20 sailors, and now can’t find how to make
inputs for races …
Thank you
Lagator

Lagator,

Firstly welcome to the world of Sailwave.

Steps to follow in setting up Sailwave to handle the groups of boats you have already defined:

Step 1

Create a CSV file of the information you want to import for each individual competitor for example

Helm,SailNo,Sex, Age,Fleet,Club,Nationality

Lagator,1111,Male,12,Blue,Datchet,SER

Huw,2222,Male,13,Yellow,Datchet,GBR

The first line will allow you to match Sailwave data items for each crew to your data items

Step 2

Open Sailwave then select from the File menu ‘Create New Series from Sailwave pro-forma’ and choose ‘appendix a le addendum c.blw’

Step 3

From the File menu choose ‘Import from CSV file’ and then Competitors

Step 4

Navigate to location of the CSV file of competitor information you created in the File Open dialogue box and select it and then click next button twice

Step 5

Follow the instructions in the dialogue window and then click next once fields are mapped appropriately

Step 6

Put a check mark in the box alongside delete existing competitors then click finish and your competitors will be imported

Step 7

Save the information

The next steps are to setup the scoring system and the race format. However I can only make a guess at what your needs are. It is usual to sail each colour group against each other, so for 4 colour groups you need to complete 3 races for all boats to have sailed against each other and so on in multiples of 3 races. Sorry if you already understand that. To score the series in this format of racing there are two additional steps to be undertaken.

Scoring system step

Having clicked the Scoring Systems button on the tool bar, you need to select the tab ‘Big Events’ and put a check mark in each box if it is not there.

Something else to consider is changing, depending on what the Notice of Race or Sailing Instructions say on the matter of scoring, is the points allocated to DNF, DNC etc. At an event I scored recently we set the value for these scoring codes to fixed points on the ‘Scoring Codes’ tab equal to the largest number of competitors on a start, but we did not have equal numbers in each of our coloured groups because all the girls were placed in the same colour group.

Each Race setup step

You need to edit each race and define which colour groups will be on each start for that race and define that the results will be place finish.

I hope this all helps you, but if not get back to me and I will try again. If you do need additional assistance it would be useful to have a copy of the Notice of Race & Sailing instructions in English, as I unfortunately do not understand Serbian.

Kind regards,

Huw Pearce

Commodore & Results Officer

Datchet Water Sailing Club (www.dwsc.co.uk)

···

-----Original Message-----
From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of laavaga
Sent:
28 April 2007 06:55
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject:
[sailwave] lagator

I need help:

inputs for races …
Thank you
Lagator

--
This email has been verified as Virus free
Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net

Hi,

It is Round Robin…

What I need to know is: when I note results for 1st race, I would have two 1st place (and all others) for each start? Am I right if I think that?

Regards,

and thank you for help

Lagator

···

----- Original Message -----

Ralph Tingle

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 1:20 PM

Subject: RE: [sailwave] lagator

Hi Lagator

Is it a Round Robin where a boat stays in the same flight for all races in the regatta & the flights race with different colours?

eg

The other type of flights racing is when boats change flights at the end of each day or at the end of the Qualification series

Anders & Martin from Sweden & Norway are the Optimist ‘experts’ so please join in on the discussion if you wish guys

Regards

Ralph

To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

I need help:

inputs for races …
Thank you
Lagator

OK,

Thank you,

I first would do all you told me, than would be free to ask you if I have more problems, and than would learn you some Serbian :).

Regata is http://www.seeooc.com and man that know all about sailwave would not be able to come there, so I would do that- just hope that would be able to learn it until 2.May

Regards

Mrs. Jasminka

···

Huw Pearce

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 1:29 PM

Lagator,

Steps to follow in setting up Sailwave to handle the groups of boats you have already defined:

Step 1

Create a CSV file of the information you want to import for each individual competitor for example

Helm,SailNo, Sex, Age,Fleet,Club,Nationality

The first line will allow you to match Sailwave data items for each crew to your data items

Step 2

Open Sailwave then select from the File menu ‘Create New Series from Sailwave pro-forma’ and choose ‘appendix a le addendum c.blw’

Step 3

Step 4

Navigate to location of the CSV file of competitor information you created in the File Open dialogue box and select it and then click next button twice

Step 5

Follow the instructions in the dialogue window and then click next once fields are mapped appropriately

Step 6

Put a check mark in the box alongside delete existing competitors then click finish and your competitors will be imported

Step 7

Save the information

The next steps are to setup the scoring system and the race format. However I can only make a guess at what your needs are. It is usual to sail each colour group against each other, so for 4 colour groups you need to complete 3 races for all boats to have sailed against each other and so on in multiples of 3 races. Sorry if you already understand that. To score the series in this format of racing there are two additional steps to be undertaken.

Scoring system step

Having clicked the Scoring Systems button on the tool bar, you need to select the tab ‘Big Events’ and put a check mark in each box if it is not there.

Something else to consider is changing, depending on what the Notice of Race or Sailing Instructions say on the matter of scoring, is the points allocated to DNF, DNC etc. At an event I scored recently we set the value for these scoring codes to fixed points on the ‘Scoring Codes’ tab equal to the largest number of competitors on a start, but we did not have equal numbers in each of our coloured groups because all the girls were placed in the same colour group.

Each Race setup step

You need to edit each race and define which colour groups will be on each start for that race and define that the results will be place finish.

I hope this all helps you, but if not get back to me and I will try again. If you do need additional assistance it would be useful to have a copy of the Notice of Race & Sailing instructions in English, as I unfortunately do not understand Serbian.

Kind regards,

Huw Pearce

sailwave@yahoogroup s.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]** On Behalf Of** laavaga
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

I need help:

inputs for races …
Thank you
Lagator

--

Lagator,

I should have said, having seen Ralph’s response to you, that my instructions assumed that each colour group will sail against each other in groups of 3 races and NOT be re-assigned to a different groups after each race or set of races. The racing of each colour group against each other in multiples of 3 races is the common format here in the UK.

Kind regards,

Huw

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Huw Pearce
Sent: 28 April 2007 12:29
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Lagator,

Step 1

Helm,SailNo, Sex, Age,Fleet,Club,Nationality

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7

Save the information

Scoring system step

Each Race setup step

Kind regards,

Huw Pearce

sailwave@yahoogroup s.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]** On Behalf Of** laavaga
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

I need help:

inputs for races …
Thank you
Lagator

--

--

Lagator,

Yes with round-robin races you will have 2x 1st places, 2x 2nd places etc in each race. The key to sorting out the results is setting up the scoring system and each race.

If you need any further help, I will try to provide it as I am sure will Ralph and others on this forum.

In the meantime I wish you a successful and enjoyable event.

kind regards,

Huw

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Lagator
Sent:
28 April 2007 12:45
Subject:
Re: [sailwave] lagator

Hi,

It is Round Robin…

What I need to know is: when I note results for 1st race, I would have two 1st place (and all others) for each start? Am I right if I think that?

Regards,

and thank you for help

Lagator

Hi Lagator

eg

Anders & Martin from Sweden & Norway are the Optimist 'experts' so please join in on the discussion if you wish guys

Regards

Ralph

Subject:
[sailwave] lagator

I need help:

inputs for races …
Thank you
Lagator

--

Hi

Huw’s answer has covered everything so that should help if you follow his instructions.

You are right in thinking that there will be two first places etc.

When you set up the scoring system & click on the Big Events tab one of the options is to allow multiple firsts etc.

I will leave Huw to answer from here so that we don’t duplicate responses

Regards

Ralph

···

Sent: 28 April 2007 12:45
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [sailwave] lagator

Hi,

It is Round Robin…

Regards,

and thank you for help

Lagator

Hi Lagator

eg

Regards

Ralph

To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

I need help:

inputs for races …
Thank you
Lagator

I did it.

THANK YOU

Lagator

···

Huw Pearce

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 2:15 PM

Lagator,

Yes with round-robin races you will have 2x 1st places, 2x 2nd places etc in each race. The key to sorting out the results is setting up the scoring system and each race.

If you need any further help, I will try to provide it as I am sure will Ralph and others on this forum.

kind regards,

Huw

sailwave@yahoogroup s.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]** On Behalf Of** Lagator
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Hi,

It is Round Robin…

Regards,

and thank you for help

Lagator

Hi Lagator

eg

Anders & Martin from Sweden & Norway are the Optimist 'experts' so please join in on the discussion if you wish guys

Regards

Ralph

Subject:
[sailwave] lagator

I need help:

inputs for races …
Thank you
Lagator

--

Lagator,

Well done.

Kind regards,

Huw

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Lagator
Sent:
28 April 2007 14:48
Subject:
Re: [sailwave] lagator

I did it.

THANK YOU

Lagator

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 2:15 PM

Lagator,

Yes with round-robin races you will have 2x 1st places, 2x 2nd places etc in each race.  The key to sorting out the results is setting up the scoring system and each race.

kind regards,

Huw

sailwave@yahoogroup s.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]** On Behalf Of** Lagator
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Hi,

It is Round Robin…

Regards,

and thank you for help

Lagator

Hi Lagator

eg

Regards

Ralph

Subject:
[sailwave] lagator

I need help:

inputs for races …