MacOS install for eedjit

Hi

I Would like to run sail wave on my Mac book pro with 2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9 processor, was told that Playonmac was easy to install and run sail wave , Ive managed to down load Playon Mac , But that’s about it ! tried to add sail wave as a non listed program , two you must read this boxes appeared but not big enough to show all the content , had a go anyway , but got nowhere , created a virtual drive , no idea of I should or not , couldn’t do anything .

any got a step by step idiots guide ???

Thanks in hope of useful replies , cheers

Hi Mark,

I apologise for forgetting last night during our Chat session, that there is a caveat to running Sailwave on MacOS systems with Intel CPU. The revision of MacOS needs to be v10.14 ‘Mojave’ or earlier:

Apple has been working with developers to transition their apps, and in 2018 Apple informed them that macOS Mojave would be the last version of macOS to run 32-bit apps. Starting with macOS Catalina, 32-bit apps are no longer compatible with macOS.

Again apologies for forgetting this information.
Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Huw

I don’t think that applies to PlayonMac as that runs on the latest os versions

Jon

Maybe the answer would be for me to buy a used chrome book , would any do ???

Cheers
Mark Homer
Markhomer@aol.com
07976 229665

Hi Mark

Chrome book is not a good idea.

Your Mac is it an Intel or Apple silicon.

If it’s Intel then it will run Sailwave using PlayonMac or Crossover

If it’s Apple silicon M1/3. Then it will run Sailwave using parallels. Don’t know why PlayonMac does with Apple silicon on theory it should

Jon

Intel

But will be running latest iOS , I tried and managed to install play on Mac but when I tried to run dialogue box giving guidance was too small to get all info and I hadn’t a clue what to do , I found sailwave to install as a non listed program

Cheers
Mark Homer
Markhomer@aol.com
07976 229665

Hi Mark

PlayonMac will work with the latest OS that shouldn’t be a problem on an Intel processor
Could you send a screenshot of the problem you see.

I just out of interest tried the latest version of Crossover with the latest Sailwave 2.33.2 on a Mac Pro M1 (Apple Silicon) with Sonoma 14.3.1 OS (Latest OS) and it works except for when scoring a handicap race.
I appreciate this makes it not useful to many people but it is much closer than it was last year when I tried it as Sailwave wouldn’t even start so It looks like things are improving. What has changed since last year is it the Apple emulator or is it Wine? Because Sailwave obviously works fine under Windows and also under Wine when using an Intel Processor. And it also works on the M1 processor when using Parallels.

The PlayonMac website was unavailable so I couldn’t test the latest PlayonMac

Jon

Cheers John will redo and send after Easter :slight_smile: :hatching_chick:

Cheers
Mark Homer
Markhomer@aol.com
07976 229665

Mac is on sonoma , pics show as far as I go without getting totally lost

Cheers
Mark Homer
Markhomer@aol.com
07976 229665

That’s using play on Mac .

Cheers
Mark Homer
Markhomer@aol.com
07976 229665

Hi Mark,

If you click next then you should see a screen like this

click next a couple of times

And select install a program in a new virtual drive

Give it a name e.g. Sailwave

Then select a 32 bit drive

and then when prompted for the installer to use select the predownloaded Sailwave installer

When configuring Wine just change the Theme to None

Hope that helps

If you want a slightly easier and more friendly option you can use Crossover by Codeweavers. There is a free trial for this and there are discount codes normally available if you purchase it

Jon

Jon

Thankyou I’ll give that a try

Cheers
Mark Homer
Markhomer@aol.com
07976 229665

I got sailwave up :slight_smile: can’t edit anything create entries etc using play on mac , but need to play around more it’s been over a decade since i last used :slight_smile:

Cheers
Mark Homer
Markhomer@aol.com
07976 229665

:joy::joy:it had just updated , tbh I wouldn’t run an un updated system as most are security these days .

Takes me back to chrome book option it does say on sailwave website it works on chrome book ,

Guess parallels or the other player won’t work either because of the 32 bit too .

I could dig out one of the many windows laptops I have o4 even pcs , but guess they would b3 hacked the minute I turn them on as anti virus etc will be years out of date , I gave up on windows because they constantly had to update before you could use and life was too short :frowning:

Cheers

Mark Homer

Mark,

Install Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, etc) on a laptop or PC, then install Sailwave with wine.

Hi Mark

I think Huw has confused you a bit on the 32 bit as Sailwave will work on the latest OS’s e.g. Sonoma 14.3.1

I have an M1 Mac Pro with Sonoma 14.3.1 and Parallels works perfectly on this and Runs Sailwave perfectly

I have also installed the Current version of Crossover and this installs and Runs Sailwave however it does crash when scoring a Handicap race so unless you want to only score one design races it is currently not a solution. Although you can use it to edit and create Sailwave files. I am in contact with the Crossover development team and they have verified my findings and said that they are very curious as to why it doesn’t run, they agreed it worked fine under Windows as we all know, but they also tried it using Crossover under Linux and also an Intel Processor on a Mac and it also worked fine. So they have an open ticket with their development team to investigate.

I have also installed PlayonMac on my M1 and Sailwave did install however Sailwave would not run at all but the other programs (which are also 32 bit) that are included with the Sailwave install did run.

Other users with an Intel-based Mac have reported that Sailwave works using PlayonMac

So in Summary with the lastest OS, an Intel-based Mac you should be able to use PlayonMac, CrossOver, or Parallels
On an Apple Silicon Mac you can currently only use Parallels but CrossOver semi-works and hopefully will fully soon

Regards

Jon