New Crossover destroys SailWave

Just upgraded to Crossover 22 and it broke SailWave. Cannot install Sailwave into a bottle. I went through the Sailwave install process, Sailwave opens and you can run it (sort of), but at the end, the bottle information says there are no applications in the bottle - nothing gets saved in the bottle. So, you have to go through the whole install process again to run Sailwave the next time. Maybe a file permissions issue somewhere.

Also, all the user-entered fields in the Sailwave GUI windows appear blank (maybe white text on white background?).

Seems like a real mess, overall. Hopefully the code weavers folks can figure out how to proceed.

Hi Matt,
Sorry to hear of your problems with latest Crossover and hope they get fixed soon. However I might be able to help with “white text on white background” as I had same problem when I did a WINE upgrade on one of my Linux boxes. Take a look at the last message in this SUG thread White Text on White background in pop-up editing windows - #6 by huw

Kind regards,
Huw

Yes, that configuration issue fixed the white text issue. Had a hard time finding the WIne Configuration control panel, but once there it was just as you described. Thanks.

Crossover itself is still fighting me. It looks like the windows exe program install process gets hung up in the middle of its operation. It goes so far that SailWave opens, so I can use it, but Crossover does not load the program into the bottle. So to use SailWave, I need to start the install process each time. Possibly a file permissions issue somewhere deep in the file structure.

More to follow, hopefully.

Hi Matt

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

If you are in communication with Crossover feel free to let them know if they would like any help from myself as the program author I’m very willing to help
Jon

Removing the “Theme” setting which caused “white-on-white” invisible text and realizing I needed to find a “full install” version of SailWave.exe to install in the bottle resulted in getting SailWave running in the new Crossover v22.0. I found SailWave.exe version 2.29.0 on the SailWave website, which successfully installed in a 32-bit Crossover bottle. I had been trying to install v2.29.6, which I realized is just the core executable, and apparently Crossover could not install that file into a bottle. Crossover could run it, though.

Still having problems working with Peter Van Muyden’s Sparklines program under the new Crossover v22.0. The operation usually hangs up when processing my SailWave .blw files under Crossover v22. If I run under the previous Crossover v21.2, the sparkline charts sometimes get processed, most often after a fresh computer restart, if that makes any sense.

Follow-up regarding running the Sparklines program on a Mac… Finally gave up this year trying to run Sparklines on a MacBook from Crossover. Last year, with a lot of finagling, we managed to complete the Sparkline plots for all 29 races, but this year the program began hanging up once we reached 9 or 10 races in the series (not sure the number of races is the actual failure trigger) and no amount of finagling caused the program to run through to the end.
So, I have now installed Oracle’s VirtualBox on the MacBook and am running full Windows 10 Home in a virtual machine. This configuration has somewhat slower GUI interactions and is a little awkward in the file access department, but at least provides the full functionality. Still running SailWave from Crossover because of the crisper GUI interaction.

Hi Matt,
Is this on an Intel Mac or an Apple Silicon (M1/M2) I use Parallels on an M1 Mac and it performs excellently
It has been reported that someone got Crossover working on an Apple silicon Mac but I’ve not had any success.
Jon

Last of the Intel models.

Peter VM and I went back and forth last year trying to figure out why the Sparklines program was intermittently hanging up in Crossover, but never had much success. There are several dozens of special libraries from the Wine development community that can be loaded into Crossover, one or two of which might help, but it is not obvious where to start or how to proceed to find a solution.
The VirtualBox approach works fine enough. Also, I am not completely sure that I have the VM settings tuned as well as could be.

Matt