New to Sailwave - Wordpress site Intergration (plug in)

Hiya, I have done a brief search but can’t find a definitive answer :slight_smile:

Can anyone assist me on how I can incorporate Sailwave into a wordpress site, I understand I have to strip somethings out? I did read on one thread that people were using dropbox as a feed folder but there is no plug in for it for wordpress only joomla is that correct?

Sorry for a noob question but totally new to this software and would appreciate any guidance step by step help to get it integrated would be majorally appreciated

Hello,

I am also new to Sailwave and learning as i go, I will try to answer your question, but it may not be in the way you had hoped.

But before i do that have you looked at the options in the Publish menu? the second page where you can select the destination and one of them in a “new Post in your Blog” I tried it and i am not sure what i was supposed to do with the resulting information, however, what we now do is as follows:-

···
  1. The main club web site is at http://glandoreyc.com/ and is a 100% Word Press installation that is managed by one of the other club members.
  1. When it comes to publishing the Racing results we actually publish them “outside” the WordPress Installation in a separate folder, in our case that folder is http://glandoreyc.com/racingresults/2017/
  1. If you go to the web site and select the main menu item Racing, which is within the Word Press installation, you get a list of League and other races for the year,
  1. Each race has links to the NOR and SI but also in the right hand side there is an option to view results, it is this link that links back to the Sailwave published page at the link as above which is

http://glandoreyc.com/racingresults/2017/
5. At this time there is only one League race active which is the Dragon Golden Sail so if you select this link, it will take you to http://glandoreyc.com/racingresults/2017/dgsail.htm which is the page that Sailwave publishes for that league race.
6. In this way i can upload all the changes i need for league races without any impact on the Wordpress management of the rest of the site.
There is one issue that the purists may object to and that is that the whole web site “sitemap” may not be synchronized within the word press installation… i am not entirely sure that matters much in this instance…
7. There is one more thing that i did to ensure that users could easily and reliably get back to the Wordpress main site and that is i modified the “Header” template to include a direct link back to the main racing results page of the club web site.You will see it as the third line in the header on the page.

Not sure if this helps but this is how i overcome the Word Press Publishing issues. and we now have a coordinated page related to all things racing, NOR, SI’s and Results.

Thanks
John

It depends what you mean incorporate.

If you simply are happy with a link to the sailwave results, this is what most do, then all you do is publish ( normally by ftp ) to a public area on your webhost ( or another webhost or any web accessible storage e.g. AWS, Google Cloud Storage , etc it doesn’t matter ) and add the link to the file to your ‘post’ normally manually.

However, if you want to be clever and make the results look an integral part of your website, some coding magic is required. e.g. the way we do here http://www.papercourt-sc.org.uk/results/?base=2017-spring-sun-GH2.html&dir=club-series

In this case, the files are uploaded to the wordpress/uploads folder, some custom PHP code reads the list of files and

1. Identifies the title of the event - and calls wordpress functions to add a new menu item to the ‘results’ menu for each file on the upload area

2. Removes the html header & footer ( leaving just the content ) and ‘inserts’ this into the WordPress themes’ header and footer ( the WordPress theme also contains the CSS to style the results table )

Thus giving you an automated and integrated results table within WordPress.

If there were enough demand for this method, I could genericise my code and create a plugin.

—In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, <nudge2@…> wrote :

Hiya, I have done a brief search but can’t find a definitive answer :slight_smile:

Can anyone assist me on how I can incorporate Sailwave into a wordpress site, I understand I have to strip somethings out? I did read on one thread that people were using dropbox as a feed folder but there is no plug in for it for wordpress only joomla is that correct?

Sorry for a noob question but totally new to this software and would appreciate any guidance step by step help to get it integrated would be majorally appreciated

Alan from Papercourt are you still lurking around on this forum?
It would be great if you could make available as you suggested - “If there were enough demand for this method, I could genericise my code and create a plugin.” - back in your response to this thread back in 2017!

Kind regards,
Huw

@huw I have found this forum again - it moved from Yahoo

Hi Alan,
Pleased to know you have found the new home of the Sailwave User Group forum. Sorry we lost you for a while.

The forum was rehosted and reworked by Jon due to Yahoo making changes to its service, which were felt by Sailwave User Group and a lot of other users of Yahoo Groups not good.

Kind regards,
Huw

The issue I’ve found with integrating SailWave results into the WordPress site is the layout. Sailwave results are better presented with as much screen area as possible whilst WordPress takes up area with headers, footers, sidebars etc. leaving a smaller area for content. And there’s thousands of different themes (layouts) which can be changed at the click of a mouse, giving different look and feel to every website.
So I upload the Sailwave html files to our webserver and just add a link to the report. I’ve written other plugins but didn’t feel one for SailWave results would work for our site and theme.

Hi Pat,
I personally agree that integration with websites built using any CMS (Content Management System) like Wordpress and Jooma usually has frusrations. I think a better use of time would be to develop a custom Sailwave Template and/or Style so that the Sailwave HTML output has some similarity with the club CMS style look & feel.

Also most, if not all, CMS systems do not like to embed HTML pages that include Javascript that does not originate from within the CMS. This will mean that if Sailwave users try to use the publishing effects like highlighting of the 1,2 & 3 in each race or use the Tablesort, it will be stripped out. Often if you try to include event & club burgees they also get affected.

I am quite happy for Sailwave users to integrate the results they produce from Sailwave with their websites in what ever way they decide is best for them.

My two cents worth from many years of doing results for clubs, classes and international regattas.

Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Alan,
Just taken a look at your post again because I might have to make results available on a Wordpress website. I notice looking at the results on Papercourt SC website that an old version v2-19-8 of Sailwave is being used, which is not compliant with RRS 2019-2020, having been released back in August 2015. The latest is v2-28-2.

Kind regards,
Huw

Yes probably, obviously I can’t even go to the club house to check - but one issue we have is that a version was created that had a ‘supress errors’ button and I think that feature got lost in later releases. I don’t own a Windows machine so can’t check from home.

We need to suppress errors as we have 30+ races in a series with 18 starts of which only 4 or 5 starts are used regularly - so by the end of the series the PRO has to press skip errors 300 times - obviously it would be better just not to report a start with zero boats as a error as it isn’t actually an error ( for us ).

Unfortunately looks like it will be a while before access to club facilities is easier :frowning:

That is a new one on me so I will have to do some investigation. I am aware of error messages when a competitor is not in a race.

If you have a copy of the file at home though you could send it to me at huw@sailwave.com.
Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Alan,
Just checked out the file you sent me using the version of Sailwave I am running in test and the “Suppress errors” button is still there. I have sent you an email.

Kind regards,
Huw

I might be wrong but offhand I think there have been only two
substantive changes in the RRS related to scoring since 2001.

In 2005 the series tie-breaking rules changed but have remained the same
since then. Old = A8.2 & A8.3; new = A8.2.

In 2017 the calculation of the Scoring Penalty changed. Before that it
was always a percentage of boats entered. Starting in 2017 that was
changed to percentage of the score for DNF. The latest version of
Sailwave includes that change. But, if you never use the Scoring Penalty
then that won’t impact you. And, if you seldom use the Scoring Penalty
you could set the points by hand when entering the code. Note that the Z
Flag Penalty references the Scoring Penalty calculation so the
implication is somewhat wider than the Scoring Penalty alone.

There have been some non-substantive changes - specifically the “scoring
codes” have changed. Officially, the abbreviations in RRS A11 have the
status of “rules” and must be followed although many, many clubs ignore
that and use there own abbreviations (like OOD for Officer Of the Day)
that aren’t included in RRS A11. I don’t think that is significant since
abbreviations don’t effect the scores and thus a boat would not be
entitled to redress if the abbreviation is wrong but the score is not
effected. Technically, the NoR and SIs ought to say they are changing
RRS A11 but I personally think that is overkill and wouldn’t recommend it.

Locally, we use 2-9-7 because it is portable and doesn’t impact the
registry. I don’t think we’ve ever had a RRS 44.3 percentage Scoring
Penalty but we could easily use the “set the points by hand when
entering the code” method for those rare occasions. [The few times we
used the Scoring Penalty in RRS 44.3 the SIs defined the number of
places so the percentage calculations didn’t apply.]

Bottom line - I don’t think there is an issue with older versions except
for the Scoring Penalty calculations - older versions don’t give an
option to use “percentage of DNF score” as I don’t think anyone ever
used that concept before it came into the rulebook. [For the record, the
default rulebook Scoring Penalty only works with the default Low Point
System. With a typical high-point system DNF is 0 or 1 and any
percentage will round down to zero so there will be no penalty, which is
absurd. You need to address that in your NoR and SIs.]

I understand there are, however, other reasons why using a more recent
version of Sailwave might be a good idea.

Art

Hi Art,
Good points and thank you.

Kind regards,
Huw

Hi everyone,

I am new here. I am looking to integrate Sailwave results on a Wordpress website.

I understand how to use Sailwave somewhat and can publish results.

Where I get lost is choosing the best was to publish them. I have read that I can use FTP to publish them to my server, but how do I display these on the site? What is the code I need?

And is this the simplest way to do this?

At the simplest level, set up a folder on your WordPress site and use ftp to copy the html files there.

For WordPress it is best to use a folder in wp-content/uploads as that won’t get overwritten or flagged by security software, then you can link to the individual html files

e.g. https://www.papercourt-sc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/sailwave/club-series/2020-WINTER-AM.html

If you want a more integrated feel - then you have to do a bit of custom coding like we did here

https://www.papercourt-sc.org.uk/results/?base=2020-WINTER-AM.html&dir=club-series

p.s.

I forgot to mention, we once on the server you can also do other custom stuff like this auto scrolling version which puts the latest results up on the club TV monitor screen
https://www.papercourt-sc.org.uk/psc-tv/

( The TV has a Raspberry Pie running it as a kiosk )

Thanks Alan, I’ll give this a shot.

Hi Alan,

Would you be able to share the code with me? Currently, we are sending users to the file location on the page.

Have you used call backs or get requests to pull the table in?

Thanks,

I wrote it quite a long time ago.

It is pretty custom really.

It works like this

1. it builds menu entries based on files in a directory structure - the menu location is ‘hardcoded’ element. These link to results with get args - dir & base
  2. there is a custom page template page-results.php that finds the file based on the query args and strips out the body content of the dom - as the theme is genesis the template uses genesis hooks
  3. css is added at theme level to style