New User Comments

All, (especially Colin) :slight_smile:

I have just started using Sailwave to evaluate whether or not it would be useful for our club's needs.

First, let me say that I've found the quality of this software to be much better than that which we are currently using. Overall, it seems to be well written, and well thought out.

I have found a few things that are different in Sailwave from our current software (QuickScore 2004). I wonder if you could give me some help in replicating some of this behaviour in the "Sailwave way", or possibly consider these as feature requests.

First, I should point out that I'm rather new to scoring, so please correct me if I make a mistake in some of these statements.

We're a PHRF - Lake Ontario club (Time on Time), and thus we use boat-specific handicap ratings. Each boat has an "SP" rating, and an "ASP" rating for each of flying, and non-flying. In QS, a boat can be assigned up to 5 different ratings, and we populate them with all of a boat's possible ratings. When the boat is assigned to a division, the entire division is assigned one of the ratings boxes, eg. all Non-Flying ASP's are in Box 3. I'm not sure we need 5 boxes, but it's hany to be able to store all of the boat's information in the program, and know that if we change a boat from flying to non-flying, it will get the correct ASP rating. So my first question is: Is there an easy (and non-kludgy) way to replicate this type of behaviour with the "ratings files", or some other SW mechanism?

I've noticed that the "Sail Number Wizard" has a few quirks that make it easy for me to make mistakes, though this may have something to do with our process. In our club, we have 8 divisions (fleets) and 4 starts. 2 fleets go at each start. The easiest thing, therefore, is to record the start times, and finish times, rather than elapsed for each start. When we enter these into SW, we need to enter the Start, and Finish for each boat. Since each boat in a fleet starts at the same time, it seems like extra work having to worry about the start-time per boat. Perhaps there is a way that we could enter the start-times per fleet, instead of per-boat? If we could enter that information ahead of the actual results, the entry would go much faster. Ideally (for me), the sequence would be:

Enter Start Times for fleets (either at the beginning of the wizard, or by editing race properties, etc)
Start Wizard
for boat in competitors {
聽聽Type Sail Number
聽聽Enter
聽聽Type finish time or Code (if alpha then Code, else time)
聽聽Enter
}

Well, I think that's probably enough outta me for now. :slight_smile: I would like to restate that I think you've got a good piece of software here. If I can help make it better in anyway, please let me know.

Oh, and also, if anyone is looking to convert their race data from QS04 to sailwave, I have a Python script that will turn the QS04 Series.0?? files into csv's that can be imported into SW. (Only written to handle PHRF TOT right now)

Regards,
Patrick

Patrick:
Highlight the race column, right click against a boat that is in the
first division and click on "Edit Result" click on Start time and
enter the start time. Do the same for 1 boat in each division. Then
go to the Sail # Wizard and enter your results, the start time will
be automaticaly filled in for all boats. I think that Colin will
improve on this method in a future version.

Yours
John Crawley

In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick J. Toal (Personal)"

<flyguy@t...> wrote:

I have just started using Sailwave to evaluate whether or not it

would

be useful for our club's needs.

First, let me say that I've found the quality of this software to

be

much better than that which we are currently using. Overall, it

seems

to be well written, and well thought out.

I have found a few things that are different in Sailwave from our
current software (QuickScore 2004). I wonder if you could give me

some

help in replicating some of this behaviour in the "Sailwave way",

or

possibly consider these as feature requests.

First, I should point out that I'm rather new to scoring, so please
correct me if I make a mistake in some of these statements.

We're a PHRF - Lake Ontario club (Time on Time), and thus we use
boat-specific handicap ratings. Each boat has an "SP" rating, and

an

"ASP" rating for each of flying, and non-flying. In QS, a boat can

be

assigned up to 5 different ratings, and we populate them with all

of a

boat's possible ratings. When the boat is assigned to a division,

the

entire division is assigned one of the ratings boxes, eg. all Non-

Flying

ASP's are in Box 3. I'm not sure we need 5 boxes, but it's hany to

be

able to store all of the boat's information in the program, and

know

that if we change a boat from flying to non-flying, it will get the
correct ASP rating. So my first question is: Is there an easy (and
non-kludgy) way to replicate this type of behaviour with

the "ratings

files", or some other SW mechanism?

I've noticed that the "Sail Number Wizard" has a few quirks that

make it

easy for me to make mistakes, though this may have something to do

with

our process. In our club, we have 8 divisions (fleets) and 4

starts. 2

fleets go at each start. The easiest thing, therefore, is to

record the

start times, and finish times, rather than elapsed for each start.

When

we enter these into SW, we need to enter the Start, and Finish for

each

boat. Since each boat in a fleet starts at the same time, it seems

extra work having to worry about the start-time per boat. Perhaps

there

is a way that we could enter the start-times per fleet, instead of
per-boat? If we could enter that information ahead of the actual
results, the entry would go much faster. Ideally (for me), the

sequence

would be:

Enter Start Times for fleets (either at the beginning of the

wizard, or

by editing race properties, etc)
Start Wizard
聽聽Type Sail Number
聽聽Enter
聽聽Type finish time or Code (if alpha then Code, else time)
聽聽Enter
}

Well, I think that's probably enough outta me for now. :slight_smile: I would

to restate that I think you've got a good piece of software here.

If I

can help make it better in anyway, please let me know.

Oh, and also, if anyone is looking to convert their race data from

QS04

to sailwave, I have a Python script that will turn the QS04

Series.0??

files into csv's that can be imported into SW. (Only written to

handle

路路路

PHRF TOT right now)

Regards,
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Did you get any help with this message to date? If not is it still na issue. The nest version handles multiple ratings from various sources in a very nice way.

Regards,
Colin J
www.sailwave.com

Patrick J. Toal (Personal) wrote:

路路路

I have just started using Sailwave to evaluate whether or not it would be useful for our club's needs.

First, let me say that I've found the quality of this software to be much better than that which we are currently using. Overall, it seems to be well written, and well thought out.

I have found a few things that are different in Sailwave from our current software (QuickScore 2004). I wonder if you could give me some help in replicating some of this behaviour in the "Sailwave way", or possibly consider these as feature requests.

First, I should point out that I'm rather new to scoring, so please correct me if I make a mistake in some of these statements.

We're a PHRF - Lake Ontario club (Time on Time), and thus we use boat-specific handicap ratings. Each boat has an "SP" rating, and an "ASP" rating for each of flying, and non-flying. In QS, a boat can be assigned up to 5 different ratings, and we populate them with all of a boat's possible ratings. When the boat is assigned to a division, the entire division is assigned one of the ratings boxes, eg. all Non-Flying ASP's are in Box 3. I'm not sure we need 5 boxes, but it's hany to be able to store all of the boat's information in the program, and know that if we change a boat from flying to non-flying, it will get the correct ASP rating. So my first question is: Is there an easy (and non-kludgy) way to replicate this type of behaviour with the "ratings files", or some other SW mechanism?

I've noticed that the "Sail Number Wizard" has a few quirks that make it easy for me to make mistakes, though this may have something to do with our process. In our club, we have 8 divisions (fleets) and 4 starts. 2 fleets go at each start. The easiest thing, therefore, is to record the start times, and finish times, rather than elapsed for each start. When we enter these into SW, we need to enter the Start, and Finish for each boat. Since each boat in a fleet starts at the same time, it seems like extra work having to worry about the start-time per boat. Perhaps there is a way that we could enter the start-times per fleet, instead of per-boat? If we could enter that information ahead of the actual results, the entry would go much faster. Ideally (for me), the sequence would be:

Enter Start Times for fleets (either at the beginning of the wizard, or by editing race properties, etc)
Start Wizard
Type Sail Number
Enter
Type finish time or Code (if alpha then Code, else time)
Enter
}

Well, I think that's probably enough outta me for now. :slight_smile: I would like to restate that I think you've got a good piece of software here. If I can help make it better in anyway, please let me know.

Oh, and also, if anyone is looking to convert their race data from QS04 to sailwave, I have a Python script that will turn the QS04 Series.0?? files into csv's that can be imported into SW. (Only written to handle PHRF TOT right now)

Regards,
Patrick

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/A1TolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->
-!- Tired of Hotmail? Try Fastmail -!- http://www.fastmail.fm/ -!- Sick of Spam? Get Spam Pal <free!> -!-
http://www.spampal.org/ http://www.sailwave.com/

Convert to daily digest of emails send blank email to:
sailwave-digest@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups Links

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.718 / Virus Database: 474 - Release Date: 09/07/2004