NEW Version of Sailwave

Hello Sailwave Users,

A new full install of Sailwave has been released v2-30-2 and it is a BETA release. It can be downloaded via the link at https://www.sailwave.com/category/betas

Jon & I have done some limited testing and so far have not found any problems with either the install or using for scoring events. If you find an issue please add in this thread with as much information as possible - screenshots are useful -, including what environment you are using, for example:

• Windows 10 with all software updates, anti virus /malware detection software
  • Linux distribution, WINE version , PlayonLinux version, Crossover version

I have installed on:

• Windows 10 with all latest updates over top of existing install
  • openSUSE ‘TumbleWeed’ Linux running WINE v8.14 (new fresh install)
  • openSUSE ‘TumbleWeed’ Linux running WINE v8.14 (update overtop of existing install)

Changelog since previous full install Sailwave v2-29-0, all released as EXE only file via links in this forum except v2-29-3:

• v2-29-1 14th Apr 2021 - change of sring comparison to numeric
  • v2-29-2 26th Apr 2021 - fix for Chinese characters displaying incorrectly
  • v2-29-3 12th Jun 2021 - fix to dropdown list for ‘Foils’ field which was showing only a grey box
  • v2-29-4 11th Aug 2021 - clear box button added to Search/Filter box on Toolbar
  • v2-29-5 19th Sep 2021 - JSON output formatting fixed
  • v2-29-6 28th Dec 2021 - fixed issue in Merge Series where file being merged had had race order changed using Move Left or Move Right
  • v2-29-7 - was Jon only special for use with iQFOiL class
  • v2-29-8 5th Mar 2023 - minor change for Australian users of Sailwve to change Rating code form VYC to AS
  • v2-29-9 18th Apr 2023 - minor fix to RYA PY Online plugin server address that had been set to a test server in a previous version
  • v2-29-10 9th Jul 2023 - fixed a bug in High Point Scoring introduced unintentionally in v2-29-7
  • v2-30-0 15th July 2023 - new functionality in Sail Number Wizard to restrict which sail numbers returned ro a selected start or starts to be selected as part of data entry
  • v2-30-1 20th Aug 2023 - additional little tweak to Sail Number Wizard to reduce number of clicks to setup restricing number lookuo to those in a start or starts
  • v2-30-2 1st Sep 2023 - updated RYA PY Online to stop race results being uploaded if there is no EVENT Name set in Series Properties, changed RYA to latest version, checks results exist for each race requested to be uploaded and will automatically ignore those races so one can now use * to send all races even if some have not been sailed

Kind regards,
Huw

HUW…
What does Sailwave v2.30.2 expect for the (default) whole (windows) directory path for the burgee file, etc., when publishing?

I am operating under Crossover on a Mac, and I find it difficult remember how to sync up the expected windows file structure with my Mac file structure each time a new complete build of Sailwave comes out. (It often seems much easier to just replace the sailwave.exe file).

I usually set a path something like “…/burgee.jpg” to make it easy for my website to just grab the burgee file from the next directory up on the website. But I am having a hard time figuring out what that “next directory up” is with this latest sailwave version to copy the burgee and venue image files there so the publishing preview is complete. For some reason, the publishing preview of the burgee file is not displaying with my existing .blw files, so I am guessing it is looking in a different file path structure.

(note, your system’s spell check put 3 dots in the burgee file… really should only be 2 dots …/ vs …/).

I think I found where they need to go. The sailwave “preview” function creates a temporary .htm file in a TEMP folder that is located a few levels down in drive_c:, at least when operating under Crossover. So, the burgee files need to go in the folder that contains that TEMP folder, at least the way I am doing it now. Seems like there must be a more straightforward way to do this.

Hi Matt,

Crossover handles the file structure for all the files the same as Windows. However even on a Windows system, images that are used for publishing must be accessible to the browser that the person viewing the file is using. This is because HTML does not embed the image, it is just a pointer to an image file. This means if you put a burgee on a local file system you can only see that image when you are viewing on your local machine - so it works for you but no one else. Images should be hosted on a server somewhere. If you don’t have a server that can host these images you can use www.imgur.com which allows you to host images free of charge. So sign up for a free account with imgur.com and then upload the burgee images to imgur.com and it will give you a link to put in the event or venue burgee field

If you want something to experiment with put https://www.sailwave.com/results/swlogo30.jpg in the field for the burgee - this is the Sailwave logo and is hosted on the Sailwave web server

Hope that helps but if you need any more info, let me know
Jon

That is a way to do it, but I want to use relative addresses for the image files so the image address is identical both locally and on the website, but I don’t need to be connected to the internet to display the images locally when using sailwave’s publishing preview function. So, I need to store copies of the image files in the same relative positions locally and on the website, as you are aware. I have since figured out where to store the local copies by recognizing that your publishing preview’s URL told me right where the preview .htm file was located, and therefore guided me to where the image files need to be stored.

BTW, there must be a slight difference in the file path structures between the two systems, because there is a Crossover specific folder in the middle of the MacOS path structure on the way down to the “temporary” .html file that is created by the preview routine. Note the “crossover” directory near the end of the following path:

/Users/[user]/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Sailwave-2-30/drive_c/users/crossover/Temp/blw3560.htm.
Best,
Matt

Hi Matt, I can’t recommend storing your burgee images in a Temp directory as if you do a cleanup these folders usually are automatically deleted/emptied.

On a windows PC the location that is used for temporary files by Sailwave is
C:\Users[User]\AppData\Local\Temp
Where [User] will be the name of the logged-on user e.g.jon

If you put the images in a fixed location they will be there for you when you need them but just remember if it is on your local PC it will only work for you so I would recommend imgur.com if you don’t have a server then if you share the htm file with someone they will also get the burgers

I agree with the your central point. So, I have put the image files in the folder that is the parent to the /Temp folder (i.e., one level up). In my case running sailwave via crossover on a Mac, that parent folder is called “crossover” and should never get cleaned out. If I was on a windows machine, the folder would be called Local, based on what you wrote. So, sailwave puts the HTML preview file in the temp folder, and my image files are in the directory one level up. So the image link address I use, instead of being a fixed address reference, is a relative reference, i.e., "…/“ which locates the file up one level in the directory structure, as you know. That was the basis of my original question, as I was struggling to find that folder that held the preview HTML file.

This works well for me on the website using a folder/file structure as follows: …/results/2023/*.htm. The image files are stored in the …/results/ folder, which is the parent to each sub-folder dedicated to each calendar year’s set of results, if you can follow all that. I wanted to be independent from the internet so that we could score without the connectivity yet still preview the final product and not need to change the file pointers.

Hi Matt - I understand what you are doing and why you might want to do it but I would expect that if it was hosted on your server or even imgur.com and you have accessed it once then they would normally appear even if you don’t have an internet connection as they would be in the browser cache but its not going to cause a problem - just didn’t want everyone to think they need to do this extra step to get it to work. Jon

The Sailwave server has now been updated to include the documentation of the changes for version 2.30.2 please see Version 2.30.2 | Sailwave