Order or boats when printing results wrong

I have the current version and have a really annoying problem with the results not printing in the correct order. I have two fleets (IRC and PY). I want to be able to print the series results to date with the last race run and have the results print such that the leading boat in both the race and series results is at the top with the positions decrementing below accordingly. I have tried ordering using the CTL and CTL+SHFT selections, tried without it after scoring – and don’t get the above. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy.

I’m not sure what you are wanting - the leading boat in the last race isn’t necessarily the leading boat in the series.

If you click on the column of the last race, this will sort everyone on that race (race winner on top), but the series leader may be further down.

Are you printing individual race tables?

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

···

----- Original Message -----

Andy Dennis

To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:04 AM

Subject: [sailwave] Order or boats when printing results wrong

I have the current version and have a really annoying problem with the results not printing in the correct order. I have two fleets (IRC and PY). I want to be able to print the series results to date with the last race run and have the results print such that the leading boat in both the race and series results is at the top with the positions decrementing below accordingly. I have tried ordering using the CTL and CTL+SHFT selections, tried without it after scoring – and don’t get the above. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy.

Hit “rescore”…

Mark Townsend s_mark_townsend@hotmail.com

···

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 00:04:11 +0100

Thanks,

Andy.

Hi Malcolm,

I’m printing the series and individual race results. I want the leader on the series to be at the top of the series table and the leader of each race to be at the top of each of the race results for each fleet. I am aware of the two column ordering for displaying the results in the application and it appears to not impact on how the results are printed. I know this used to not be a problem as in older versions it was fine. Something seems to have changed. However I did have to print race and series results separately so that ordering was correct.

Andy.

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Malcolm Osborne
Sent: 16 September 2010 01:06
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Order or boats when printing results wrong

I’m not sure what you are wanting - the leading boat in the last race isn’t necessarily the leading boat in the series.

If you click on the column of the last race, this will sort everyone on that race (race winner on top), but the series leader may be further down.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Thanks,

Andy.

I’m pretty sure I did, or at least I hit score series by fleet again. Problem was still there.

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mark Townsend
Sent: 16 September 2010 18:02
Subject: RE: [sailwave] Order or boats when printing results wrong

Hit “rescore”…

Mark Townsend s_mark_townsend@hotmail.com

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 00:04:11 +0100

Thanks,

Andy.

Andy,

With my v2.02 b5, Sailwave works the way you want it.

Perhaps you could email your blw file to this group - we can see if it works on our side, or if there’s something wrong somewhere?

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

···

Andy Dennis

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:44 PM

Hi Malcolm,

I’m printing the series and individual race results. I want the leader on the series to be at the top of the series table and the leader of each race to be at the top of each of the race results for each fleet. I am aware of the two column ordering for displaying the results in the application and it appears to not impact on how the results are printed. I know this used to not be a problem as in older versions it was fine. Something seems to have changed. However I did have to print race and series results separately so that ordering was correct.

Andy.

sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] ** On Behalf Of** Malcolm Osborne
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

I have the current version and have a really annoying problem with the results not printing in the correct order.  I have two fleets (IRC and PY).&nbs p; I want to be able to print the series results to date with the last race run and have the results print such that the leading boat in both the race and series results is at the top with the positions decrementing below accordingly.  I have tried ordering using the CTL and CTL+SHFT selections, tried without it after scoring – and don’t get the above.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy.

Ok thanks,

Here is an older file with 3 races in the series (not at club atm). This seems to order correctly when reporting the series. The PY Race results are ok, but the order of the IRC fleet for races is not correct.

Regards,

Andy.

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Malcolm Osborne
Sent: 17 September 2010 00:50

Andy,

Perhaps you could email your blw file to this group - we can see if it works on our side, or if there’s something wrong somewhere?

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Malcolm,

Andy.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

I have the current version and have a really annoying problem with the results not printing in the correct order. I have two fleets (IRC and PY).&nbs p; I want to be able to print the series results to date with the last race run and have the results print such that the leading boat in both the race and series results is at the top with the positions decrementing below accordingly. I have tried ordering using the CTL and CTL+SHFT selections, tried without it after scoring – and don’t get the above. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy.

Right - I can see the problem, but havn’t found a way to correct it.

Has anyone else had a look?

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

···

Andy Dennis

Sent: Friday, September 17, 2010 2:43 AM

Subject: RE: [sailwave] Order or boats when printing results wrong [1 Attachment]

Ok thanks,

Here is an older file with 3 races in the series (not at club atm). This seems to order correctly when reporting the series. The PY Race results are ok, but the order of the IRC fleet for races is not correct.

Regards,

Andy.

[mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Malcolm Osborne
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Andy,

;

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Malcolm,

I’m printing the series and individual race results. I want the leader on the series to be at the top of the series table and the leader of each race to be at the top of each of the race results for each fleet. I am aware of the two column ordering for displaying the results in the application and it appears to not impact on how the results are printed. I know this used to not be a problem as in older versions it was fine. Something seems to have changed. However I did have to prin t race and series results separately so that ordering was correct.

Andy.

sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] ** On Behalf Of** Malcolm Osborne
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

I have the current version and have a really annoying problem with the results not printing in the correct order.  I have two fleets (IRC and PY).&nbs p; I want to be able to print the series results to date with the last race run and have the results print such that the leading boat in both the race and series results is at the top with the positions decrementing below accord ingly.  I have tried ordering using the CTL and CTL+SHFT selections, tried without it after scoring – and don’t get the above.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy.

Ok thanks,

Here is an older file with

3 races in the series (not at club atm). This
seems to order correctly when reporting the
series. The PY Race results are ok, but the order
of the IRC fleet for races is not correct.

Regards,

Andy.

···

[mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] ** On
Behalf Of** Malcolm Osborne
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Order or boats
when printing results wrong

Andy,

With my v2.02 b5, Sailwave works

the way you want it.

Perhaps you could email your blw

file to this group - we can see if it
works on our side, or if there’s
something wrong somewhere?

;

regards,

Malcolm Osborne

Sedgefield, South Africa

Dennis

Sent: Thursday,
September 16, 2010 7:44 PM

Subject: RE: [sailwave]
Order or boats when printing results
wrong

Hi

Malcolm,

I’m

printing the series and individual race
results. I want the leader on the series
to be at the top of the series table and
the leader of each race to be at the top
of each of the race results for each
fleet. I am aware of the two column
ordering for displaying the results in the
application and it appears to not impact
on how the results are printed. I know
this used to not be a problem as in older
versions it was fine. Something seems to
have changed. However I did have to prin
t race and series results separately so
that ordering was correct.

Andy.

sailwave@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] ** On
Behalf Of** Malcolm Osborne
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Order
or boats when printing results wrong

I'm not

sure what you are wanting - the
leading boat in the last race
isn’t necessarily the leading boat
in the series.

If you

click on the column of the last
race, this will sort everyone on
that race (race winner on top),
but the series leader may be
further down.

Are you

printing individual race tables?

regards,

Malcolm Osborne

Sedgefield, South Africa
                                    -----

Original Message -----

Dennis

Sent:
Thursday, September 16, 2010
1:04 AM

Subject:
[sailwave] Order or boats when
printing results wrong

I have

the current version and have a
really annoying problem with
the results not printing in
the correct order. I have two
fleets (IRC and PY).&nbs
p; I want to be able to print
the series results to date
with the last race run and
have the results print such
that the leading boat in both
the race and series results is
at the top with the positions
decrementing below accord
ingly. I have tried ordering
using the CTL and CTL+SHFT
selections, tried without it
after scoring – and don’t get
the above. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy.

Andy is trying to get his results to show in the way the vast majority would expect, i.e. the series results to be ordered in ascending order of Nett points and for an individual race the result to be ordered in ascending order of finishing position across the line or corrected time if a handicap system used.

I have an example series with Gold, Silver & Bronze fleets (no ratings) - publishing these results on fleet with race tables functions correctly.

It looks like its going wrong when handicaps are in the equation (IRC in Andy’s example). In one of SW’s example series (elapsed.blw - from Mumbles YC, Darts and other Cats), one of the races shows incorrectly.

Sailwave isn’t functioning (in these cases) in the expected manner - a race being published in a 3, 4, 1, 2 order is odd!

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

···

Huw Pearce

Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2010 9:46 AM

Hi Andy,
What you are trying to achieve is not possible in Sailwave, at least currently.
This is the first time I have come across the way of presenting the results that you are after. To achieve your requirement will need putting the information into something like a spreadsheet and doing a manual sort on the individual race results.
In my personal view the there is nothing wrong with the presentation from Sailwave, it just does not present them in the way you would like. It was a design choice and, I would say is what the vast majority would expect, i.e . the series results to be ordered in ascending order of Nett points and for an individual race the result to be ordered in ascending order of finishing position across the line or corrected time if a handicap system used.

Kind regards,
Huw

On 17/09/2010 23:22, Malcolm Osborne wrote:

Right - I can see the problem, but havn't found a way to correct it.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Subject: RE: [sailwave] Order or boats when printing results wrong [1 Attachment]

Ok thanks,
  Here is an older file with 3 races in the series (not at club atm).  This seems to order correctly when reporting the series.  The PY Race results are ok, but the order of the IRC fleet for races is not correct. 

Regards,

Andy.

From: s ailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Malcolm Osborne
Subject:
Re: [sailwave] Order or boats when printing results wrong

Andy,

Perhaps you could email your blw file to this group - we can see if it works on our side, or if there's something wrong somewhere?

;

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Andy Dennis

Sent:
Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:44 PM

Hi Malcolm,
  I’m printing the series and individual race results.  I want the leader on the series to be at the top of the series table and the leader of each race to be at the top of each of the race results for each fleet.  I am aware of the two column ordering for displaying the results in the application and it appears to not impact on how the results are printed.  I know this used to not be a problem as in older versions it was fine.  Something seems to have changed.  However I did have to prin t race and series results separately so that ordering was correct.

Andy.

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Malcolm Osborne
Subject:
Re: [sailwave] Order or boats when printing results wrong

I'm not sure what you are wanting - the leading boat in the last race isn't necessarily the leading boat in the series.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Andy Dennis

Sent:
Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:04 AM

I have the current version and have a really annoying problem with the results not printing in the correct order.  I have two fleets (IRC and PY).&nbs p; I want to be able to print the series results to date with the last race run and have the results print such that the leading boat in both the race and series results is at the top with the positions decrementing below accord ingly.  I have tried ordering using the CTL and CTL+SHFT selections, tried without it after scoring – and don’t get the above.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy.

avast! Antivirus : Inbound message clean.

Virus Database (VPS): 100917-1, 17/09/2010
Tested on: 18/09/2010 08:25:11
avast! - copyright © 1988-2010 AVAST Software.

avast! Antivirus : Outbound message clean.

Tested on: 18/09/2010 08:46:35

Ok
thanks,

Here

is an older file with 3 races in the
series (not at club atm). This seems to
order correctly when reporting the
series. The PY Race results are ok, but
the order of the IRC fleet for races is
not correct.

Regards,

Andy.

···

s ailwave@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com ]
On Behalf Of Malcolm Osborne
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Order
or boats when printing results wrong

Andy,

With my

v2.02 b5, Sailwave works the way
you want it.

Perhaps

you could email your blw file to
this group - we can see if it
works on our side, or if there’s
something wrong somewhere?

;

regards,

Malcolm Osborne

Sedgefield, South Africa
                                    -----

Original Message -----

Sent:
7:44 PM

Subject: RE:
[sailwave] Order or boats when
printing results wrong

Hi Malcolm,

I’m printing the

series and individual race
results. I want the leader on the
series to be at the top of the
series table and the leader of
each race to be at the top of each
of the race results for each
fleet. I am aware of the two
column ordering for displaying the
results in the application and it
appears to not impact on how the
results are printed. I know this
used to not be a problem as in
older versions it was fine.
Something seems to have changed.
However I did have to prin t race
and series results separately so
that ordering was correct.

Andy.

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com ]
On Behalf Of Malcolm
Osborne
Sent: 16 September 2010
01:06
Subject: Re: [sailwave]
Order or boats when printing
results wrong

I'm

not sure what you are
wanting - the leading boat
in the last race isn’t
necessarily the leading
boat in the series.

If

you click on the column of
the last race, this will
sort everyone on that race
(race winner on top), but
the series leader may be
further down.

Are

you printing individual
race tables?

regards,

Malcolm Osborne

Sedgefield, South Africa
                                            -----

Original Message -----

Andy Dennis

To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Sent:
Thursday, September 16,
2010 1:04 AM

Subject:
[sailwave] Order or
boats when printing
results wrong

I have the

current version and
have a really annoying
problem with the
results not printing
in the correct order.
I have two fleets (IRC
and PY).&nbs p; I
want to be able to
print the series
results to date with
the last race run and
have the results print
such that the leading
boat in both the race
and series results is
at the top with the
positions decrementing
below accord ingly. I
have tried ordering
using the CTL and
CTL+SHFT selections,
tried without it after
scoring – and don’t
get the above. Any
ideas?

Thanks,

Andy.

Ok
thanks,

Here

is an older file with 3 races in the
series (not at club atm). This seems
to order correctly when reporting the
series. The PY Race results are ok,
but the order of the IRC fleet for
races is not correct.

Regards,

Andy.

···

On Behalf Of Malcolm
Osborne
Sent: 17 September 2010
00:50
Subject: Re: [sailwave]
Order or boats when printing
results wrong

Andy,

With

my v2.02 b5, Sailwave works
the way you want it.

Perhaps

you could email your blw
file to this group - we can
see if it works on our side,
or if there’s something
wrong somewhere?

;

regards,

Malcolm Osborne

Sedgefield, South Africa
                                        -----

Original Message -----

Sent:

Subject:
RE: [sailwave] Order or
boats when printing results
wrong

Hi

Malcolm,

I’m

printing the series and
individual race results. I
want the leader on the series
to be at the top of the series
table and the leader of each
race to be at the top of each
of the race results for each
fleet. I am aware of the two
column ordering for displaying
the results in the application
and it appears to not impact
on how the results are
printed. I know this used to
not be a problem as in older
versions it was fine.
Something seems to have
changed. However I did have
to prin t race and series
results separately so that
ordering was correct.

Andy.

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com ]
On Behalf Of
Malcolm
Osborne
Sent: 16 September
2010 01:06
Subject: Re:
[sailwave] Order or boats
when printing results
wrong

I'm not sure

what you are wanting -
the leading boat in
the last race isn’t
necessarily the
leading boat in the
series.

If

you click on the
column of the last
race, this will sort
everyone on that race
(race winner on top),
but the series leader
may be further down.

Are you

printing individual
race tables?

regards,

Malcolm Osborne

Sedgefield, South

Africa

-----

Original Message

September 16, 2010
1:04 AM

Subject: [sailwave]
Order or boats when
printing results
wrong

I

have the current
version and have a
really annoying
problem with the
results not
printing in the
correct order. I
have two fleets
(IRC and
PY).&nbs p; I
want to be able to
print the series
results to date
with the last race
run and have the
results print such
that the leading
boat in both the
race and series
results is at the
top with the
positions
decrementing below
accord ingly. I
have tried
ordering using the
CTL and CTL+SHFT
selections, tried
without it after
scoring – and
don’t get the
above. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy.

Hi Huw,

Many thanks. The file was originally created with an older version of sailwave and upgraded when opened with this version, so maybe there was an issue during the upgrade…

Thanks for your help. I’ll take a look and see if I can fix it. Only one more race left to worry about so I can create new series files for next season from scratch over the winter, if necessary…

Andy.

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Huw Pearce
Sent: 18 September 2010 12:24
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Order or boats when printing results wrong [1 Attachment]

[Attachment(s) from Huw Pearce included below]

Andy & Malcolm,

I have created from scratch a Sailwave series (attached), which I think is set up in exactly the same way as the file Andy attached to an earlier message in this thread.

When I publish results, it gives me

• series results in ascending order of Nett Points as expected

• individual races results in ascending order of corrected times as expected

This would seem to suggest that the .BLW file is corrupted in some way, which throws things out. I have seen something similar in regards to names in the Class or Fleet fields, with non-printable characters. I solved this by editing the .BLW file in Notepad, but not knowing where any such corruption might be it is not possible to suggest what to edit and where. Always need to be very careful editing a .BLW file in Notepad or other ASCII text editor and never do so it a word processor like Microsoft Word or even Wordpad.

I hope this reply is helpful.
Kind regards,
Huw
At Hayling Island scoring Laser Masters World Championships

On 18/09/2010 11:24, Huw Pearce wrote:

Malcolm,

I have just redone the calculations on Andy’s file and I am now getting what Andy and you described; but when I answered I got the expected order for individual race. So yes there seems to be a funny going on. Um…

Kind regards,
Huw

On 18/09/2010 10:52, Malcolm Osborne wrote:

Andy is trying to get his results to show in the way the vast majority would expect, i.e. the series results to be ordered in ascending order of Nett points and for an individual race the result to be ordered in ascending order of finishing position across the line or corrected time if a handicap system used.

I have an example series with Gold, Silver & Bronze fleets (no ratings) - publishing these results on fleet with race tables functions correctly.

It looks like its going wrong when handicaps are in the equation (IRC in Andy’s example). In one of SW’s example series (elapsed.blw - from Mumbles YC, Darts and other Cats), one of the races shows incorrectly.

Sailwave isn’t functioning (in these cases) in the expected manner - a race being published in a 3, 4, 1, 2 order is odd!

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Andy,
This is the first time I have come across the way of presenting the results that you are after. To achieve your requirement will need putting the information into something like a spreadsheet and doing a manual sort on the individual race results.
In my personal view the there is nothing wrong with the presentation from Sailwave, it just does not present them in the way you would like. It was a design choice and, I would say is what the vast majority would expect, i.e. the series results to be ordered in ascending order of Nett points and for an individual race the result to be ordered in ascending order of finishing position across the line or corrected time if a handicap system used.

Kind regards,
Huw

Right - I can see the problem, but havn’t found a way to correct it.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Ok thanks,

Regards,

Andy.

From: s ailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Malcolm Osborne

Andy,

;

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Malcolm,

I’m printing the series and individual race results. I want the leader on the series to be at the top of the series table and the leader of each race to be at the top of each of the race results for each fleet. I am aware of the two column ordering for displaying the results in the application and it appears to not impact on how the results are printed. I know this used to not be a problem as in older versions it was fine. Something seems to have changed. However I did have to prin t race and series results separately so that ordering was correct.

Andy.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

I have the current version and have a really annoying problem with the results not printing in the correct order. I have two fleets (IRC and PY).&nbs p; I want to be able to print the series results to date with the last race run and have the results print such that the leading boat in both the race and series results is at the top with the positions decrementing below accord ingly. I have tried ordering using the CTL and CTL+SHFT selections, tried without it after scoring – and don’t get the above. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy.

avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.

avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.

Tested on: 18/09/2010 11:03:14

Tested on: 18/09/2010 11:24:23

Tested on: 18/09/2010 11:33:16

Huw,

Thanks for this explanation - it had me puzzled!

The Sailwave example file `elapsed.blw’ also shows this behaviour, presumably as it was created with v2.01 and is now being opened with v2.02?

I see you had a couple of days off in your regatta when the wind precluded sailing. But, there must be a huge amount of data to process for each race, with 350 boats sailing.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

···

Huw Pearce

Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2010 1:24 PM

Subject: Re: [sailwave] Order or boats when printing results wrong [1 Attachment]

Andy & Malcolm,

I have created from scratch a Sailwave series (attached), which I think is set up in exactly the same way as the file Andy attached to an earlier message in this thread.

• individual races results in ascending order of corrected times as expected

This would seem to suggest that the .BLW file is corrupted in some way, which throws things out. I have seen something similar in regards to names in the Class or Fleet fields, with non-printable characters. I solved this by editing the .BLW file in Notepad, but not knowing where any such corruption might be it is not possible to suggest what to edit and where. Always need to be very careful editing a .BLW file in Notepad or other ASCII text editor and never do so it a word processor like Microsoft Word or even Wordpad.

Kind regards,
Huw

Malcolm,

I have just redone the calculations on Andy's file and I am now getting what Andy and you described; but when I answered I got the expected order for individual race. So yes there seems to be a funny going on.  Um...

Kind regards,
Huw

Andy is trying to get his results to show in the way the vast majority would expect, i.e . the series results to be ordered in ascending order of Nett points and for an individual race the result to be ordered in ascending order of finishing position across the line or corrected time if a handicap system used.

I have an example series with Gold, Silver & Bronze fleets (no ratings) -       publishing these results on fleet with race tables functions correctly.
  It looks like its going wrong when handicaps are in the equation (IRC in Andy's example). In one of SW's example series (elapsed.blw - from Mumbles YC, Darts and other Cats), one of the races shows incorrectly.
  Sailwave isn't functioning (in these cases) in the expected manner - a race being published in a 3, 4, 1, 2 order is odd!

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Andy,
In my personal view the there is nothing wrong with the presentation from Sailwave, it just does not present them in the way you would like. It was a design choice and, I would say is what the vast majority would expect, i.e . the series results to be ordered in ascending order of Nett points and for an individual race the result to be ordered in ascending order of finishing position across the line or corrected time if a handicap system used.

Kind regards,

Huw

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Ok thanks,
        Here is an older file with 3 races in the series (not at club atm).  This seems to order correctly when reporting the series.  The PY Race results are ok, but the order of the IRC fleet for races is not correct. 

Regards,

Andy.

s ailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] ** On Behalf Of** Malcolm Osborne

Andy,

Perhaps you could email your blw file to this group - we can see if it works on our side, or if there's something wrong somewhere?

;

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Malcolm,
        I’m printing the series and individual race results.  I want the leader on the series to be at the top of the series table and the leader of each race to be at the top of each of the race results for each fleet.  I am aware of the two column ordering for displaying the results in the application and it appears to not impact on how the results are printed.  I know this used to not be a problem as in older versions it was fine.  Something seems to have changed.  However I did have to prin t race and series results separately so that ordering was correct.

Andy.

I'm not sure what you are wanting - the leading boat in the last race isn't necessarily the leading boat in the series.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Thanks,

Andy.

Virus Database (VPS): 100918-0, 18/09/2010
Tested on: 18/09/2010 12:24:28
http://www.avast.com

Ok
thanks,

Here

is an older file with 3 races
in the series (not at club
atm). This seems to order
correctly when reporting the
series. The PY Race results
are ok, but the order of the
IRC fleet for races is not
correct.

Regards,

Andy.

···

On Behalf Of Malcolm
Osborne
Sent: 17 September
2010 00:50
Subject: Re:
[sailwave] Order or boats
when printing results
wrong

Andy,

With my v2.02

b5, Sailwave works
the way you want it.

Perhaps you

could email your blw
file to this group -
we can see if it
works on our side,
or if there’s
something wrong
somewhere?

;

regards,

Malcolm Osborne

Sedgefield, South

Africa

-----

Original Message

Dennis

September 16, 2010

Subject: RE:
[sailwave] Order or
boats when printing
results wrong

Hi Malcolm,

I’m printing

the series and
individual race
results. I want the
leader on the series
to be at the top of
the series table and
the leader of each
race to be at the top
of each of the race
results for each
fleet. I am aware of
the two column
ordering for
displaying the results
in the application and
it appears to not
impact on how the
results are printed.
I know this used to
not be a problem as in
older versions it was
fine. Something seems
to have changed.
However I did have to
prin t race and series
results separately so
that ordering was
correct.

Andy.

On Behalf Of Malcolm
Osborne
Sent: 16
September 2010
01:06
Subject:
Re: [sailwave]
Order or boats
when printing
results wrong

I'm not

sure what you
are wanting -
the leading
boat in the
last race
isn’t
necessarily
the leading
boat in the
series.

If

you click on
the column of
the last race,
this will sort
everyone on
that race
(race winner
on top), but
the series
leader may be
further down.

Are you

printing
individual
race tables?

regards,

Malcolm

Osborne

Sedgefield,

South Africa

-----

Original
Message -----

Sent:
Thursday,
September 16,
2010 1:04 AM

Subject:
[sailwave]
Order or boats
when printing
results wrong

I have

the current
version and
have a really
annoying
problem with
the results
not printing
in the correct
order. I have
two fleets
(IRC and
PY).&nbs
p; I want to
be able to
print the
series results
to date with
the last race
run and have
the results
print such
that the
leading boat
in both the
race and
series results
is at the top
with the
positions
decrementing
below accord
ingly. I have
tried ordering
using the CTL
and CTL+SHFT
selections,
tried without
it after
scoring – and
don’t get the
above. Any
ideas?

Thanks,

Andy.

Huw,

Are you doing, or have you tried OCR on the received image?

The result would depend on the quality of the writing, as well as the transmission quality, I suppose.

I did scoring once on the water, but that was in the cabin of a big catamaran on an inland dam. The fleet was small (20 boats), but could come ashore, plug laptop into printer and post results while the fleet were still de-rigging.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

···

Huw Pearce

Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:21 AM

Malcolm,

Still don’t know what happened with the file, might get a chance to have a more detailed look next week.

We have only lost one actual day of racing as the schedule had a lay (rest) day built in. So we look to be getting in 10 of the12 races that were scheduled.

Just one man, me, doing the results entry/processing which is not a problem. The finish sheets are being sent in as photographs taken on a mobile phone either by email or as a text message. We are still determining the best practice. The photographic quality varies from phone make to phone make as does the image size and also the printing can vary depending on which printer make/model is used. The other factor is the availability/quality of mobile phone operator coverage in the sailing area. We are still learning as this is only the 5th event, in which I have been involved with, at which this process has been used. FYI - I have been chief scorer for the 4 Laser World Championships held in the UK this year plus Sail for Gold Regatta and the RYA Youth Nationals.

I have been asked to produce a document on the use and issues experienced in receiving finish sheets as photographs via various communication methods. We have also tested sending the finish positions ashore as a spreadsheet attachment for import into Sailwave. Haven’t been able to import directly from the file sent ashore as it only has ‘Last 4 Digit’ sail numbers, there is a translator spreadsheet to convert from 4 digit sail numbers to full 6 digit sail numbers. This basically works well and is quicker than typing in 60 sail numbers. We haven’t been able to do it for all races and finishes or both courses.

For this event, the Laser Masters World Championships, I have used just 2 Sailwave files; one for the Radial course and one for the Standard course. The Standard course file has one age group (Masters) using Q-series & F-series being scored in the same file as other age groups with just a standard continuous series.

Hope you find the above of interest.
Kind regards,
huw

On 18/09/2010 22:17, Malcolm Osborne wrote:

Huw,

Thanks for this explanation - it had me puzzled!
The Sailwave example file `elapsed.blw' also shows this behaviour, presumably as it was created with v2.01 and is now being opened with v2.02?
I see you had a couple of days off in your regatta when the wind precluded sailing. But, there must be a huge amount of data to process for each race, with 350 boats sailing.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2010 1:24 PM

Andy & Malcolm,

•     individual races results in ascending order of corrected times as expected

Kind regards,
Huw

Malcolm,

I have just redone the calculations on Andy's file and I am now getting what Andy and you described; but when I answered I got the expected order for individual race. So yes there seems to be a funny going on.  Um...

Kind regards,
Huw

Andy is trying to get his results to show in the way the vast majority would expect, i.e . the series results to be ordered in ascending order of Nett points and for an individual race the result to be ordered in ascending order of finishing position across the line or corrected time if a handicap system used.

I have an example series with Gold, Silver & Bronze fleets (no ratings) -           publishing these results on fleet with race tables functions correctly.
      It looks like its going wrong when handicaps are in the equation (IRC in Andy's example). In one of SW's example series (elapsed.blw - from Mumbles YC, Darts and other Cats), one of the races shows incorrectly.
      Sailwave isn't functioning (in these cases) in the expected manner - a race being published in a 3, 4, 1, 2 order is odd!

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Andy,

Kind regards,
Huw

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Ok thanks,

Regards,

Andy.

From: s ailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] ** On Behalf Of** Malcolm Osborne

Andy,

;

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Malcolm,

Andy.

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] ** On Behalf Of** Malcolm Osborne

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Thanks,

Andy.

Virus Database (VPS): 100918-0, 18/09/2010
Tested on: 18/09/2010 12:24:28
http://www.avast.com

Virus Database (VPS): 100918-1, 18/09/2010
Tested on: 19/09/2010 08:44:56

Virus Database (VPS): 100918-1, 18/09/2010
Tested on: 19/09/2010 09:21:58