Personal Handicapping

Can anyone suggest a way of applying a handicap to a level rated fleet of boats (one designs)? The idea being that as the season progresses those boats at the front of the fleet will slowly have their handicap increased such that the slower boats have a chance of doing better than if they were all level rated, thus encouraging them to keep turning out. I guess this might be referred to as personal handicapping.

I’ve read various posts regarding BCR and SCP, but have to admit I’ve not got my head around it all.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Jools.

Hello,

We have been using RYA NHC ratings for a couple of years now on two One Design Fleets of Squibs and International Dragons.

You set up your normal fleet, then you create and Alias Fleet of the same boats within the same file, name the Alias fleet something different to the “non” Alias fleet and then within the scoring system for that Aliased fleet select RYA NHC.

Finding the NHC handicap for your one design fleet from the RYA web site, then insert it as the base handicap,

As you hold races for that fleet Sailwave will score the Aliased fleet automatically but using the NHC handicap and it will update the NHC and create a NEW Rating for the next race, and this raises one point to note and that is that you must always have one more race configured within the Sailwave file that you have actually raced to allow Sailwave to generate the New Rating.

What we did as we started using the NHC rating was to “reset” the starting NHC handicap after 8 or so races by inserting the New rating value for that boat.

Within our club we run about 4 - 6 different leagues per season per fleet, all starting at different dates, as one league starts i set up the Sailwave file for the particular league and use the current “New Rating” value for a boat that already has raced in other leagues that year.

As long as you have more that 3 boats finishing any one race then the NHC is updated. Also i believe if there is a large finishing time say between 1st and 2nd, then Sailwave assumes there has been an “extraordinary” event and does not update the NHC, the same thing happens if there is a large time difference between last and the bulk of the fleet.

Feedback from the fleets last year was positive and that is why we have continued to use this method.

Hope this helps

JohnW

Hi John,

Many thanks for the very useful information. I’ve setup the two fleets called Level and Rated, and have aliased the Rated fleet to the Level one. However, on the fleets tab of the scoring system I’ve entered Apply if and Fleets = Rated, but am then presented
with just a free form text area.

Do you have any pointers to how I should be setting up the scoring for each of the two fleets? A screen shot or two would be most useful.

Very many thanks.

Regards,

Jools.

···

Sent from my Windows Phone, please excuse any typos.

ejwjohn@gmail.com [sailwave]

Sent:
‎22/‎08/‎2019 02:49

To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Subject:
[sailwave] Re: Personal Handicapping

Hello,

We have been using RYA NHC ratings for a couple of years now on two One Design Fleets of Squibs and International Dragons.

You set up your normal fleet, then you create and Alias Fleet of the same boats within the same file, name the Alias fleet something different to the “non” Alias fleet and then within the scoring system for that Aliased fleet select RYA NHC.

Finding the NHC handicap for your one design fleet from the RYA web site, then insert it as the base handicap,

As you hold races for that fleet Sailwave will score the Aliased fleet automatically but using the NHC handicap and it will update the NHC and create a NEW Rating for the next race, and this raises one point to note and that is that you must always have
one more race configured within the Sailwave file that you have actually raced to allow Sailwave to generate the New Rating.

What we did as we started using the NHC rating was to “reset” the starting NHC handicap after 8 or so races by inserting the New rating value for that boat.

Within our club we run about 4 - 6 different leagues per season per fleet, all starting at different dates, as one league starts i set up the Sailwave file for the particular league and use the current “New Rating” value for a boat that already has raced
in other leagues that year.

As long as you have more that 3 boats finishing any one race then the NHC is updated. Also i believe if there is a large finishing time say between 1st and 2nd, then Sailwave assumes there has been an “extraordinary” event and does not update the NHC,
the same thing happens if there is a large time difference between last and the bulk of the fleet.

Feedback from the fleets last year was positive and that is why we have continued to use this method.

Hope this helps

JohnW

Jools,

I am not sure where you are seeing this info, what i do is to create a fleet with the one design boats, then enable Alising via the user interface.

Then using the Edit menu Create an Alised Competitor,

In the scoring system dialogue, i then select New Fleet and it should create a new fleet with the words Edit me under Fleet.

Select Edit Fleet and then you will find at the top right a box with edit me and then selecting the dropdown you will see the names of your 2 fleets, select the Aliased fleet name.

On the Rating system tab de Select - Inherit, and make sure to select Internal for NHC Mode

Select RYA NHC and save and you should be good to go.

I am not around now for about 5 6- hrs if you are still in difficulty then i will try and assist.

JohnW

Hi John,

Many thanks for your continued help. I was very close, I just hadn’t moved from the Notes tab to the Rating System tab to select NHC.

When I enter the race results I only see the non-aliased boats to select and enter finish times for, and only those boats show placings when I score the races, see screen shot attached - which also shows the type of scoring selected, though I’ve tried both options.

Should I be entering the timings for the aliased boats manually, or is there some other trick I’ve missed to get the results for the handicapped boats to display automatically?

Bye the way, our club also races Squibs & Dragons, where are you based, if I may ask?

Thanks again.

Jools.

Hi Jools,

One thing I notice from your image - You need to use  the second

scoring option ‘Score groups of competitors separately’ with
grouping field as ‘Fleet’.

You also have to set up starts under the race for each fleet even

though in your case those start times will be the same ad set
which competitors are associated with each start. To edit t he
race settings, right click race column header and select Edit
race.

Kind regards,

Huw

If you are still having problems after doing that then send me 

the file and I will see if I can see what might be the problem.

···

On 23/08/2019 07:53,
[sailwave] wrote:

julian_briggs@live.com

Hi John,

Many thanks for your continued help. I was very close,

I just hadn’t moved from the Notes tab to the Rating
System tab to select NHC.

When I enter the race results I only see the

non-aliased boats to select and enter finish times for,
and only those boats show placings when I score the races,
see screen shot attached - which also shows the type of
scoring selected, though I’ve tried both options.

Should I be entering the timings for the aliased boats

manually, or is there some other trick I’ve missed to get
the results for the handicapped boats to display
automatically?

Bye the way, our club also races Squibs & Dragons,

where are you based, if I may ask?

Thanks again.

Jools.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Hi Huw,

Many thanks for those tips. Which along with manually including the sailed aliased boats have got it sorted - Edit/Mark all sailed boats as included didn’t show the aliased boats. So, all good now.

I saw from another thread a comment about 2.28.1. I’ve noticed that when I changed from a 2.25 release to 2.28 my highlighted discards stopped working, as in were no longer highlighted. Have you seen this?

Many thanks,

Jools.

···

On 23/08/2019 07:53, [sailwave] wrote:

julian_briggs@live.com

Hi John,

Many thanks for your continued help. I was very close, I just hadn’t moved from the Notes tab to the Rating System tab to select NHC.

When I enter the race results I only see the non-aliased boats to select and enter finish times for, and only those boats show placings when I score the races, see screen shot attached - which also shows the type of scoring selected, though I’ve tried
both options.

Should I be entering the timings for the aliased boats manually, or is there some other trick I’ve missed to get the results for the handicapped boats to display automatically?

Bye the way, our club also races Squibs & Dragons, where are you based, if I may ask?

Thanks again.

Jools.

Virus-free.
www.avast.com

Hi John,

Just to say I’m all sorted now, so many thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Jools.

···

Sent from my Windows Phone, please excuse any typos.

ejwjohn@gmail.com [sailwave]

Sent:
‎22/‎08/‎2019 10:54

To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Subject:
[sailwave] Re: Personal Handicapping

Jools,

I am not sure where you are seeing this info, what i do is to create a fleet with the one design boats, then enable Alising via the user interface.

Then using the Edit menu Create an Alised Competitor,

In the scoring system dialogue, i then select New Fleet and it should create a new fleet with the words Edit me under Fleet.

Select Edit Fleet and then you will find at the top right a box with edit me and then selecting the dropdown you will see the names of your 2 fleets, select the Aliased fleet name.

On the Rating system tab de Select - Inherit, and make sure to select Internal for NHC Mode

Select RYA NHC and save and you should be good to go.

I am not around now for about 5 6- hrs if you are still in difficulty then i will try and assist.

JohnW

Hi Jools,

There is not problem with 2.28.1 with highlighted discards to the best of my knowledge. What method have you configured?

Regards

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Hi Jon,

I’ll have to reinstall 2.28.1 have another play around, when I noticed that the discards were no longer being highlighted I eventually resorted to going back to 2.25.11, which immediately resolved the issue.

So give me a little time and I’ll try and recreate the setup.

Thank you,

Jools.

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233