Points for DNF, etc.

Many clubs like to modify Appendix A in their SIs from the current rule, back to the old way in which DNF=Finishers+1, DNS=Starters+1, etc. Is this possible?

Also, is a high-point scoring option available? It’s useful in a long series, where many boats come out only once or twice. For example, our club scores its Wednesday Night series, 1 point for starting plus 1 point for every boat beaten. Non-starters get zero, which is easy to figure. Of course, to figure the places, we have to calculate corrected times, which is where SailWave would come in handy.

One more question. Is there anything like a “Getting Started” explanation?

Ralph Taylor

To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2001 8:41 PM

Subject: [sailwave] Points for DNF, etc.

Many clubs like to modify Appendix A in their SIs from the current rule, back to the old way in which DNF=Finishers+1, DNS=Starters+1, etc. Is this possible?

Under the EDIT menu click on EDIT SCORING SYSTEM then click on the SCORING CODES tab, from here click on NEW and everything should all become self explanitory from here.
Hope this helps.
              Nygel
···

----- Original Message -----

Hi Ralph,

Many clubs like to modify Appendix A in their SIs from the current rule, back to the old way in which DNF=Finishers+1, DNS=Starters+1, etc. Is this possible? <

The standard Appendix A caters for a “long series” situation where DNF etc can be optionally scored as the points for the position equal to the number of starters + N. Sailwave can do this; see window that Nygel pointed you at. I tend to stick fairly closely to App A and in this situation (your quote above) would guess that the results will be virtually identical; certainly not changing the top places.

Also, is a high-point scoring option available? It’s useful in a long series, where many boats come out only once or twice. For example, our club scores its Wednesday Night series, 1 point for starting plus 1 point for every boat beaten. Non-starters get zero, which is easy to figure. Of course, to figure the places, we have to calculate corrected times, which is where SailWave would come in handy. <

No - that’s one of the gaping holes left to fill. I’ve started doing it a few times and backed out because there are more wrinkles than expected… It’ll certainly be done within the next 2 or 3 months.

One more question. Is there anything like a “Getting Started” explanation? <

Unfortunately not; there is the FAQ and that’s about it. Since Sailwave is still in development I’m shying away from doing doc that’ll need to be rewritten. Once all the obvious holes are filled I can start on some doc. I do try to keep options to a minimum so it should be possible to get a feel for it by fiddling around with the examples that come with it.

Regards,

Colin