Printing the results, etc.

Sailwave is great. BUT, two areas have been minor annoyances for me over the years.

1. Having to enter the race results, in my case, 3 times to cover (1) the daily series, (2) the monthly series, and (3) the yearly series. It would be great if sailwave required only one entry of the race results and then the global or series options took care of combining them for the various “series of series” combinations that are common with extended, season-long club race series. Easy to ask; probably harder to accomplish.

2. Creating a nice looking, centered, crisply printed, paper version of the sailwave race results. Eureka! Today I stumbled on an open-source “utility” called “wkhtmltopdf” that converts sailwave’s HTML file to a PDF file. It results in crisp printed type and scales the overall webpage display to fit on a single sheet of paper. I have not investigated, but I think it could spread the output over multiple pages, if that was desired when there are many, many races and/or competitors. Maybe others have figured out a better way to tackle printing to paper, but, so far, this works pretty well and is the best I have found to get nice looking, printed results. I made the wkhtmltopdf command string an executable shell command (on my Mac) that included the standard PDF output options I wanted. Maybe sailwave would consider integrating this open source software into their program somehow to make publishing to paper a more user-friendly option.

I know nothing about what mac users get up to with printing, but in a Windows world, you simple publish to your browser or to a file and then print the result to a PDF (pretty automatic if you use Chrome.)

It could be a couple of keystrokes faster, but not many.

Not sure this isn’t a mac problem alone?

jrc

John R Culter - Mobile
Vancouver Canada
+1 (604) 908-3119

···

On Fri., Jun. 28, 2019, 7:40 p.m. mdb561@gmail.com [sailwave], sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Sailwave is great. BUT, two areas have been minor annoyances for me over the years.

1. Having to enter the race results, in my case, 3 times to cover (1) the daily series, (2) the monthly series, and (3) the yearly series. It would be great if sailwave required only one entry of the race results and then the global or series options took care of combining them for the various “series of series” combinations that are common with extended, season-long club race series. Easy to ask; probably harder to accomplish.
  1. Creating a nice looking, centered, crisply printed, paper version of the sailwave race results. Eureka! Today I stumbled on an open-source “utility” called “wkhtmltopdf” that converts sailwave’s HTML file to a PDF file. It results in crisp printed type and scales the overall webpage display to fit on a single sheet of paper. I have not investigated, but I think it could spread the output over multiple pages, if that was desired when there are many, many races and/or competitors. Maybe others have figured out a better way to tackle printing to paper, but, so far, this works pretty well and is the best I have found to get nice looking, printed results. I made the wkhtmltopdf command string an executable shell command (on my Mac) that included the standard PDF output options I wanted. Maybe sailwave would consider integrating this open source software into their program somehow to make publishing to paper a more user-friendly option.

In my experience printing issues aren’t related to using a Mac. I use a Mac for most of the work and a pc for some.

One issue I find with printing is wanting to control page breaks so fleets are not split across pages. Choose “publish to an application” - pick excel - and then a few small edits in excel will create a good page layout with breaks where you want them. It’s an extra step but it works. You can be as fine with this as you have the patience for in terms of locating where you want the breaks, margin widths, scaling etc and you can get a tight layout that displays well.

SL

···

On Jun 28, 2019, at 23:48, John Culter - Mobile jrculter@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

I know nothing about what mac users get up to with printing, but in a Windows world, you simple publish to your browser or to a file and then print the result to a PDF (pretty automatic if you use Chrome.)

It could be a couple of keystrokes faster, but not many.

Not sure this isn’t a mac problem alone?

jrc

John R Culter - Mobile
Vancouver Canada
+1 (604) 908-3119

On Fri., Jun. 28, 2019, 7:40 p.m. mdb561@gmail.com [sailwave], sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

1. Creating a nice looking, centered, crisply printed, paper version of the sailwave race results. Eureka! Today I stumbled on an open-source “utility” called “wkhtmltopdf” that converts sailwave’s HTML file to a PDF file. It results in crisp printed type and scales the overall webpage display to fit on a single sheet of paper. I have not investigated, but I think it could spread the output over multiple pages, if that was desired when there are many, many races and/or competitors. Maybe others have figured out a better way to tackle printing to paper, but, so far, this works pretty well and is the best I have found to get nice looking, printed results. I made the wkhtmltopdf command string an executable shell command (on my Mac) that included the standard PDF output options I wanted. Maybe sailwave would consider integrating this open source software into their program somehow to make publishing to paper a more user-friendly option.

Hi SL,

There is an option on the right hand side of the first publishing

page that can be checked to include a page break after each table.
So each summary table starts on a new page when you print from
your web browser - well it does for me using Google Chrome &
Firefox browsers.

Kind regards,

Huw

···

On 29/06/2019 11:39, Scott Lyons
[sailwave] wrote:

scott@germansupply.com

In my experience printing issues aren’t related to using

a Mac. I use a Mac for most of the work and a pc for
some.

One issue I find with printing is wanting to control

page breaks so fleets are not split across pages. Choose
“publish to an application” - pick excel - and then a few
small edits in excel will create a good page layout with
breaks where you want them. It’s an extra step but it
works. You can be as fine with this as you have the
patience for in terms of locating where you want the
breaks, margin widths, scaling etc and you can get a tight
layout that displays well.

SL

On Jun 28, 2019, at 23:48, John Culter - Mobile jrculter@gmail.com
            [sailwave] <sailwave@yahoogroups.com                >

wrote:

I know nothing about what mac users

get up to with printing, but in a Windows world,
you simple publish to your browser or to a file
and then print the result to a PDF (pretty
automatic if you use Chrome.)

It could be a couple of keystrokes

faster, but not many.

Not sure this isn't a mac problem

alone?

jrc

John R

Culter - Mobile

Vancouver Canada

+1 (604) 908-3119
                    On Fri., Jun.

28, 2019, 7:40 p.m. mdb561@gmail.com
[sailwave], <sailwave@yahoogroups.com >
wrote:

Sailwave is great.  BUT, two areas

have been minor annoyances
for me over the years.

1) Having to enter the race results,

in my case, 3 times to cover (1) the daily
series, (2) the monthly series, and (3)
the yearly series. It would be great if
sailwave required only one entry of the
race results and then the global or series
options took care of combining them for
the various “series of series”
combinations that are common with
extended, season-long club race series.
Easy to ask; probably harder to
accomplish.

2) Creating a nice looking, centered,

crisply printed, paper version of the
sailwave race results. Eureka !
Today I stumbled on an open-source
“utility” called "wkhtmltopdf "
that converts sailwave’s HTML file to a
PDF file. It results in crisp printed
type and scales the overall webpage
display to fit on a single sheet of paper.
I have not investigated, but I think it
could spread the output over multiple
pages, if that was desired when there are
many, many races and/or competitors.
Maybe others have figured out a better way
to tackle printing to paper, but, so far,
this works pretty well and is the best I
have found to get nice looking, printed
results. I made the wkhtmltopdf command
string an executable shell command (on my
Mac) that included the standard PDF output
options I wanted… Maybe sailwave would
consider integrating this open source
software into their program somehow to
make publishing to paper a more
user-friendly option.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Huw,

Checking that box will put a break after every fleet, resulting in a printout with one fleet per page. I am looking to put breaks in places determined by filling the page as much as possible but not splitting a fleet across two pages.

SL

···

On Jun 29, 2019, at 06:59, Huw Pearce huw.pearce@bcs.org.uk [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi SL,

There is an option on the right hand side of the first publishing

page that can be checked to include a page break after each table.
So each summary table starts on a new page when you print from
your web browser - well it does for me using Google Chrome &
Firefox browsers.

Kind regards,

Huw

On 29/06/2019 11:39, Scott Lyons

scott@germansupply.com [sailwave] wrote:

In my experience printing issues aren’t related to using

a Mac. I use a Mac for most of the work and a pc for
some.

One issue I find with printing is wanting to control

page breaks so fleets are not split across pages. Choose
“publish to an application” - pick excel - and then a few
small edits in excel will create a good page layout with
breaks where you want them. It’s an extra step but it
works. You can be as fine with this as you have the
patience for in terms of locating where you want the
breaks, margin widths, scaling etc and you can get a tight
layout that displays well.

SL

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Jun 28, 2019, at 23:48, John Culter - Mobile jrculter@gmail.com
            [sailwave] <sailwave@yahoogroups.com                >

wrote:

I know nothing about what mac users

get up to with printing, but in a Windows world,
you simple publish to your browser or to a file
and then print the result to a PDF (pretty
automatic if you use Chrome.)

It could be a couple of keystrokes

faster, but not many.

Not sure this isn't a mac problem

alone?

jrc

John R

Culter - Mobile

Vancouver Canada

+1 (604) 908-3119
                    On Fri., Jun.

28, 2019, 7:40 p.m. mdb561@gmail.com
[sailwave], <sailwave@yahoogroups.com >
wrote:

Sailwave is great.  BUT, two areas

have been minor annoyances
for me over the years.

1) Having to enter the race results,

in my case, 3 times to cover (1) the daily
series, (2) the monthly series, and (3)
the yearly series. It would be great if
sailwave required only one entry of the
race results and then the global or series
options took care of combining them for
the various “series of series”
combinations that are common with
extended, season-long club race series.
Easy to ask; probably harder to
accomplish.

2) Creating a nice looking, centered,

crisply printed, paper version of the
sailwave race results. Eureka !
Today I stumbled on an open-source
“utility” called "wkhtmltopdf "
that converts sailwave’s HTML file to a
PDF file. It results in crisp printed
type and scales the overall webpage
display to fit on a single sheet of paper.
I have not investigated, but I think it
could spread the output over multiple
pages, if that was desired when there are
many, many races and/or competitors.
Maybe others have figured out a better way
to tackle printing to paper, but, so far,
this works pretty well and is the best I
have found to get nice looking, printed
results. I made the wkhtmltopdf command
string an executable shell command (on my
Mac) that included the standard PDF output
options I wanted… Maybe sailwave would
consider integrating this open source
software into their program somehow to
make publishing to paper a more
user-friendly option.

I may be misunderstanding you, but I use the ‘Merge into another
Sailwave Series’ to produce an overall series results.
We have a series of events over the year, usually with 6 races per
event. I take the overall positions at the end of each event and
create a new ‘race’ in the overall results by merging by helm. You
could of course merge by sail number, depending on your overall
series rules.
You can see the effect here
where MS
Overall brings together the results from the four (so far) events.
Ian Frogley
Webmaster 2000 Class Association

···

https://www.2000class.org/contentforum.asp?c=results

On 29/06/2019 03:40, [sailwave] wrote:

Sailwave is great. BUT, two areas have been minor
annoyances for me over the years.

1) Having to enter the race results, in my case, 3 times

to cover (1) the daily series, (2) the monthly series, and (3)
the yearly series. It would be great if sailwave required
only one entry of the race results and then the global or
series options took care of combining them for the various
“series of series” combinations that are common with extended,
season-long club race series. Easy to ask; probably harder to
accomplish.

mdb561@gmail.com

Yes, you can export to PDF from the Safari browser on the Mac, as well. But you have almost no control of the result. As the race results table gets larger it becomes very tedious to get a satisfactory print out, at least in my experience. After a lot of fiddling around, trial-and-error, you might be able to get a readable print out to fit on one page, but it won’t be centered (left-right) on the page.

I have not been successful printing or exporting to an application (like Excel) using SailWave under Wine on a Mac. (…other than by CSV export, of course.) I am sure under Windows, that is possible. Maybe with the Mac under Parallels. But I am not running those environments.

I had given up and just used screen capture and a simple image manipulation program as a quick method to get a one page output with the results table centered on the page. But as the results table grew in size, the printed results became fuzzy with the lowered resolution.

The wkhtmltopdf utility has something in it that converts the format to PDF, while at the same time centering it on the specified page size. I have not found that centering feature in the browser’s export to PDF or in the printer driver’s “print to PDF” functions. These built-in functions align the scaled output to the left-hand margin of the printed page.

Maybe one of the other Mac users out there has an satisfactory solution - one or two clicks to execute, easily repeatable, crisp, sharp output, table centered left-right on the page.

I am not aware of that capability. I will explore that some.

You could try the orphans CSS property in the style sheet targeted to the table or div (I forget the details) class that encompasses a fleet. See the publishing help pages on the Sailwave website.

···

https://css-tricks.com/almanac/properties/o/orphans/

Cheers,

Colin J

http://coastalchalet.co.uk

http://instagram.com/colintomjenks

So, after exploring the “merge another series” feature, this function does eliminate the need to re-enter the race results for each higher level series combination of races, and that is really good. But, it introduces some manual manipulation to clean up the new series (e.g., delete race R1, and would be nice to include a sort on bow numbers). And, there is no undo; once the manual merging and manipulation is done, it is time consuming and prone to more errors to go backwards when a mistake is made (such as picking the wrong race file to merge). And, with this process, there are several files… it might be nice if there was just one file with the individual race results and setup labels, and all the information to create and publish the various individual race and series combinations was contained in that one file.

In my mind, the “merge series” is so close to accomplishing my end objective, it cries out for an additional function within sailwave that automates the manual merging process based on user-defined input, say an ordered listing of the lowest level races or filenames or files in a folder or…, whatever works. Maybe include an ability to display user-defined labels on the table to group each sub-series of races, where appropriate. However, I suspect it is more complicated to incorporate this as a function than I have imagined and I can think of a few complications that might take some thought to work out.

Hi Thanks to everyone who has responded with useful suggestions.
Matt - Ian suggested you look at the Merge in another series and I see you have tried it now. This is the easy way and it solves entering the results multiple times.

Automating it much more I personally feel makes it very complicated to the extent that not many would use it. Deleting race 1 is only necessary the first time you import into a completely empty series file, and this is only a two second job If you start with a copy of the file you are using then you don’t even need to do that.

Although your goal of a fully automated multi-series sounds nice in practice there are lots of things that can change for series results compared to the original race.

Even things such as the title and the venue will As will discard profiles and even some of the scoring codes could have different values for the series.

I personally feel setting up all these special rules will take you more time and are more prone to error than just merging it into a series file.

Please remember that although I could write something that might work for you it would most likely not work for someone else.

I do the scoring for the UK windsurfing association and I merge results after each event and it takes only a couple of minutes. But as always in life there tend to be special rules. e.g. in windsurfing techno class if a sailor moves from the 6.8 class to the 7.8 class then there results for the 6.8 class stand but once they have switched from 6.8 to 7.8 they can not go back. This is so they don’t get penalised for moving up a sail size partway through a season. This works fine with separate files but no way could it work with automated series creation.

Matt - Printing to PDF. I’m fully aware of the wkhtmltopdf software and have seriously considered building it into Sailwave in the past. But I don’t believe it is necessary now with so many other options. All the major browsers now have the option to print to pdf and do a go job at it. You might find some more to your liking than others so try some out. They all have the option of changing the scaling which has the effect of changing how many lines will fit to a page. They all have page preview so you can experiment before actually printing to paper.

There is also a very useful Chrome addin (Full page Screen Capture) which allows you to create both images and pdf which include all the results. So from the publish page use the preview button and then click the Full page Screen Capture within Chrome

As Huw mentioned there is a tick box to create a page break for each fleet - Personally I always use this because if you are viewing on the web it is not visible but if you print the results each fleet has its own page. This makes updating results when there are queries or corrected errors very easy as you only have to reprint the results for the fleet that changed. Yes it may be nice to have two fleets on the same piece of paper if they would fit - whether its worth all the hassle to do it is questionable as its not possible for Sailwave to know whether they would fit on a single piece of paper when it creates the html as this will depend upon the printer, the paper size, the margins chosen and the scaling. You are of course free to edit the html with any of the many html editors available to add or remove page breaks where you like.

Don’t forget Sailwave gives you the choice to publish to an external application. This can also be a batch file or some custom script or application. There is nothing stopping you writing a bit of Python to do any formatting that you wish and when you publish in Sailwave simply specify this as the destination. You can even automate the uploading to your website with this.

Hope this helps

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Jon,

You have persuaded me to install Chrome on my Mac. I have been trying to wean myself off of Google products (as much as possible). So, this is the first I have used Chrome.

Chrome’s print routine does work really well and does meet my printing need. Nevertheless, the wkhtmltopdf utility, while it does not have the preview, does the page scaling automatically if you set the page size option.

The other browsers (on my Mac):

• Firefox does center the output, but it is necessary to reconfigure most of the print dialog options. And, Firefox (at least on my Mac) doesn’t seem to have a way to save the print dialog options, and most of them need to be changed. Although I did not spend a lot of time looking for how to save the print setup. And Firefox doesn’t have a “real-time” print preview. You need to go back and forth to the Mac Preview program to see what the result looks like. Too time-consuming to get the page scaling right.
  • Safari does not center the print out, as stated in the original post. Other than that, it works the same as Chrome. But not centering the output is a significant problem for me.

Regarding the ways to use SailWave with multiple levels of series, I do agree with your comments. However, I would note that once the various levels of series files are created (using merge series), multiple files then need to be edited, say when a finish position changes due to a subsequent DSQ. Not a big deal, but it is source for errors to creep into the scoring.

And, when generating the series files using the merge series function, mistakes are awkward to recover from. If you are keeping up with the scoring and merging only one file at a time, then probably never an issue. I was building the whole series from 6 files and accidentally picked the wrong file in the middle of the process. Then I tried the “move race left” function to move the races into the proper order and found this to be awkward to get everything into the correct order, mostly because I was doing this for the first time and was not familiar with what information on the screen to look at to help me get it correct. But I think SailWave does have all the necessary information there on the screen to get the order right and no doubt with a little more practice it would not be a problem at all for me.

Again, these are very minor issues, as stated in my original post. I do think that a slightly more elegant solution would have the race results stored in only one place to simplify the “configuration management” chore, and each level of series would be built (somehow) from the individual race results and the rules for each series. But if this capability is not of use to anyone other than me, then I am fine with that.

Hi Matt,

Chrome does have a “shrink to fit” option in the printing where it does the scaling automatically. And it does have a custom although the custom with Firefox gives better control.

As for centering, I’m curious what results you get because I would have expected it to be very close. When you publish do you publish results or results2 - Results2 add some code to make the burgees at the top of the results the same size so it should look a more balanced/centered output.

One thing with backups and recovering from mistakes - I’ve recommended it before but will do it again. If you store your blw file in a dropbox folder (or pCloud) then it keeps a version history everytime you save it and you can logon to the web and restore any version - The length of time it keeps the version history depends upon how much you pay but even the free version keeps it for 30 days which is usually long enough for these types of errors. Additionally if the computer fails or someone spills beer over it which has happened to me then the results are still safe in the cloud. This way if you make a mistake you can always go back.

Saving race results and competitors in a database and creating the series from these is doable but then you loose the nice feature that a blw is self contained.

Recalculating and publishing later could then result in different results.

Regards

Jon

Jon Eskdale

···

03333 443377

07530 112233