Problem with showing danish special characters æ,ø and å: ANSI or UTF-8

Hi Sailwave friends
I am currently building a homepage for the Sail Extreme Dinghy event in Kerteminde 2012.
On the homepage I show .htm result lists using an Iframe.
The problem is that in order to show danish characters æ, ø and å correctly I have to "wash" the output file (name.htm)from Sailwave through wordpad reformatting the document into utf-8.
My question is then: Can I do this in Sailwave, that is format the name.htm file in utf-8 (and not ANSI)?
Thank you very much in advance.
Best regards
Morten Grove
Kerteminde Yacht Club

Wow, that's almost spooky. I just came on the site to ask the same question regarding entry names using accented characters for a Mexican event.

Anyone know?

···

--- In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, "fynrundt" <fynrundt@...> wrote:

Hi Sailwave friends
I am currently building a homepage for the Sail Extreme Dinghy event in Kerteminde 2012.
The problem is that in order to show danish characters æ, ø and å correctly I have to "wash" the output file (name.htm)from Sailwave through wordpad reformatting the document into utf-8.
My question is then: Can I do this in Sailwave, that is format the name.htm file in utf-8 (and not ANSI)?
Best regards
Morten Grove
Kerteminde Yacht Club

Can you use the html character entities when typing in the names? (e.g. æ)

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: 11 February 2012 16:32
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sailwave] Re: Problem with showing danish special characters æ,ø and å: ANSI or UTF-8

Wow, that’s almost spooky. I just came on the site to ask the same question regarding entry names using accented characters for a Mexican event.

Anyone know?

— In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, “fynrundt” <fynrundt@…> wrote:

Hi Sailwave friends
The problem is that in order to show danish characters æ, ø and å correctly I have to “wash” the output file (name.htm)from Sailwave through wordpad reformatting the document into utf-8.
Best regards
Morten Grove
Kerteminde Yacht Club

I suppose, but one of my problems is how the letters display in Sailwave. For example, for Mexico, I get México (accented "e")

In my case, I'm importing competitors from a CSV file.

···

--- In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Wadsworth" <andy.wadsworth@...> wrote:

Can you use the html character entities when typing in the names? (e.g. &aelig;)

If you tweak the results template to specify
utf 8 charset- does it work?

I'm slightly confused.  Are the characters OK in Sailwave and not

OK in the Sailwave generated HTML, or both?

Have you set the charset options in settings+globaloptions and if

not does that help?

···

Cheers,

Colin J

http://sailwave.com
http://welshandgrumpy.me

I suppose, but one of my problems is how the letters

display in Sailwave. For example, for Mexico, I get
México (accented “e”)

--- In sailwave@yahoogroups.com              ,

“Andy Wadsworth” wrote:

Can you use the html character entities when typing
in the names? (e.g. æ)

No virus

found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2112/4809 - Release Date:
02/14/12

<andy.wadsworth@…>

(Its possible that the accented characters do not display in your email the way I’ve written them)

I’m not a Sailwave expert, but I do know codepages very well. Maybe this will help your understanding.

It looks like the “México” in your CSV is UTF-8 as the single é becomes the two characters é. This is because it takes 2 bytes in UTF-8 to represent é - maybe 0xC3 0xA9. And the characters you end up with are how ANSI interprets the 2 bytes. ANSI uses 1 byte per character except for Asian languages like Japanese, Korean and Chinese.

So its an import issue. I don’t know if Sailwave can be told its UTF-8.

Or could you create the CSV file in your native codepage? I think thats 1252 for México. The same as English systems. Whats your source program - the one that creates the CSV? It should be able to output in ANSI. Then Sailwave should be able to read it in.

Or if your CSV is stuck in UTF-8, maybe there is a conversion program to convert UTF-8 to 1252? One way that may work is to open the CSV with Notepad. Run notepad directly without opening a file. Go to Open, select your UTF-8 CSV file and the encoding displayed down the bottom should be UTF-8. Click OK to load it into Notepad. Now choose Save As, RENAME the file, change the encoding to ANSI and click OK. Try and load that file into Sailwave.

regards

Rob Goodridge

···

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Colin Jenkins colin@sailwave.com wrote:

If you tweak the results template to specify

utf 8 charset- does it work?

I'm slightly confused.  Are the characters OK in Sailwave and not

OK in the Sailwave generated HTML, or both?

Have you set the charset options in settings+globaloptions and if

not does that help?

Cheers,

Colin J

[http://sailwave.com](http://sailwave.com)

[http://welshandgrumpy.me](http://welshandgrumpy.me)
On 14/02/2012 14:44, Andy wrote:
          I suppose, but one of my problems is how the letters

display in Sailwave. For example, for Mexico, I get
México (accented “e”)

--- In sailwave@yahoogroups.com              ,

“Andy Wadsworth” <andy.wadsworth@…> wrote:
>
> Can you use the html character entities when typing
in the names? (e.g. æ)

No virus

found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2112/4809 - Release Date:
02/14/12

That's really good information. Right now, the CSV file comes from Google Docs - we use a Google Spreadsheet form as an online registration form, then I can just create another sheet in the same spreadsheet that points to the registration form and extracts the fields that I need for export to a Sailwave-compatible CSV file. I looked for nationalization options there, but I'm not seeing a lot of flexibility. It sounds like you might have hit on my problem. I do know that when I take the CSV file into a regular LibreOffice spreadsheet, using UTF-8 (I think), that the characters display properly.

As for Conlin's question: I'll have to look at your suggestion regarding publishing and specifying another character set in the template. As it is now, the display issue that I described was in the on-screen display in Sailwave columns.

···

--- In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, Rob Goodridge <RJG1980@...> wrote:

(Its possible that the accented characters do not display in your email the
way I've written them)

I'm not a Sailwave expert, but I do know codepages very well. Maybe this
will help your understanding.

It looks like the "México" in your CSV is UTF-8 as the single é becomes
the two characters é. This is because it takes 2 bytes in UTF-8 to
represent é - maybe 0xC3 0xA9. And the characters you end up with are how
ANSI interprets the 2 bytes. ANSI uses 1 byte per character except for
Asian languages like Japanese, Korean and Chinese.

Well I’ve entered México into a Google Spreadsheet, exported as CSV (definitely UTF-8 I looked at the raw bytes), opened with Notepad (says UTF-8) and saved as ANSI (as described below) and it works. So just add the Notepad step after downloading the CSV.

Can you try it?

···

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:35 AM, Andy andy@sailor.nu wrote:

That’s really good information. Right now, the CSV file comes from Google Docs - we use a Google Spreadsheet form as an online registration form, then I can just create another sheet in the same spreadsheet that points to the registration form and extracts the fields that I need for export to a Sailwave-compatible CSV file. I looked for nationalization options there, but I’m not seeing a lot of flexibility. It sounds like you might have hit on my problem. I do know that when I take the CSV file into a regular LibreOffice spreadsheet, using UTF-8 (I think), that the characters display properly.

As for Conlin’s question: I’ll have to look at your suggestion regarding publishing and specifying another character set in the template. As it is now, the display issue that I described was in the on-screen display in Sailwave columns.

— In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, Rob Goodridge <RJG1980@…> wrote:

(Its possible that the accented characters do not display in your email the
way I’ve written them)

I’m not a Sailwave expert, but I do know codepages very well. Maybe this
will help your understanding.

It looks like the “México” in your CSV is UTF-8 as the single é becomes
the two characters é. This is because it takes 2 bytes in UTF-8 to
represent é - maybe 0xC3 0xA9. And the characters you end up with are how
ANSI interprets the 2 bytes. ANSI uses 1 byte per character except for
Asian languages like Japanese, Korean and Chinese.

Yep, worked.

Thanks very much!

···

--- In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, Rob Goodridge <RJG1980@...> wrote:

Well I've entered México into a Google Spreadsheet, exported as CSV
(definitely UTF-8 I looked at the raw bytes), opened with Notepad (says
UTF-8) and saved as ANSI (as described below) and it works. So just add the
Notepad step after downloading the CSV.

Can you try it?

On thing I just discovered.

For you Linux users, the command:

iconv -f UTF-8 -t MS-ANSI -o <output file name>.csv <input file name>.csv

...will do the ANSI conversion for you from the command line, without opening it in Notepad. Should work for Mac users as well, assuming you know how to get to your command line.

Thanks again for your help on this.

···

--- In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, "abarrow" <andy@...> wrote:

Yep, worked.

Thanks very much!

--- In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, Rob Goodridge <RJG1980@> wrote:
>
> Well I've entered México into a Google Spreadsheet, exported as CSV
> (definitely UTF-8 I looked at the raw bytes), opened with Notepad (says
> UTF-8) and saved as ANSI (as described below) and it works. So just add the
> Notepad step after downloading the CSV.
>
> Can you try it?
>

As Goodridge pointed out this is a charset issue, and may two different involved - input to sailwave and output from sailwave.
In sailwave setup youy can specify charset used in the program I suppose (screen and typing).

Importing files can be handled as shown ensuring the the import file use the charset specified by sailwave setup (i.e. in this example some ANSI).

Exporting files (publishing results and other list) to html for presentation in a browser will use the charset the browser will "guess" unless specified in a meta-tag.
Embedding html in some way into a excisting website (iFrame, link or what ever technic used) will either heritage the charset from the originating page or use multiple charset if nessecary. All depending on what browser used.
The transform solution can be used for importing files, but not practical for publishing output.

Question:
Would it be more predictible and W3C correct to have a specification of charset in the published html by adding a <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"> with actual correct charset into header.txt (or even better, to generate the specification from the setup-charset ?

j. Holm

···

--- In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, "abarrow" <andy@...> wrote:

On thing I just discovered.

For you Linux users, the command:

iconv -f UTF-8 -t MS-ANSI -o <output file name>.csv <input file name>.csv

...will do the ANSI conversion for you from the command line, without opening it in Notepad. Should work for Mac users as well, assuming you know how to get to your command line.

Thanks again for your help on this.

--- In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, "abarrow" <andy@> wrote:
>
> Yep, worked.
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> --- In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, Rob Goodridge <RJG1980@> wrote:
> >
> > Well I've entered México into a Google Spreadsheet, exported as CSV
> > (definitely UTF-8 I looked at the raw bytes), opened with Notepad (says
> > UTF-8) and saved as ANSI (as described below) and it works. So just add the
> > Notepad step after downloading the CSV.
> >
> > Can you try it?
> >
>