Publish without FTP

Hi,

I have just moved servers and I don’t really want to open FTP up on the server. There is no need for any of the other sites, it all can be accessed by certificated SSH / SCP.

I’m not that familiar with windows architecture and solutions.

Is there any (relatively straight forward ways of publishing ) to my server without using FTP that you can think of?

As I’m already storing the .blw files on Google Drive ( so they can be updated from home etc ) I’m thinking perhaps of saving there and somehow pulling off via linux - I could do that by polling and making an API call, but that means writing some code ( not technically an problem, just time to do it )

But any other ideas?

agree – I have the same on my servers. It would be great if SSH / SCP could be added as an upload option…

All the best,

Markus

···

Von: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 26. August 2016 15:21
An: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Betreff: [sailwave] Publish without FTP

Hi,

I have just moved servers and I don’t really want to open FTP up on the server. There is no need for any of the other sites, it all can be accessed by certificated SSH / SCP.

Is there any (relatively straight forward ways of publishing ) to my server without using FTP that you can think of?

As I’m already storing the .blw files on Google Drive ( so they can be updated from home etc ) I’m thinking perhaps of saving there and somehow pulling off via linux - I could do that by polling and making an API call, but that means writing some code ( not technically an problem, just time to do it )

But any other ideas?

Avast logo

Diese E-Mail wurde von Avast Antivirus-Software auf Viren geprüft.

www.avast.com

agree – I have the same on my servers. It would be great if SSH / SCP could be added as an upload option…

All the best,

Markus

···

Gesendet: Freitag, 26. August 2016 15:21
Betreff: [sailwave] Publish without FTP

Hi,

But any other ideas?

Avast logo
www.avast.com

Hi Alan,

You certainly used to be able to publish them direct from Google drive. Haven’t tried it recently. But give that a go.

Jon

···

On Friday, 26 August 2016, alan@sailfun.co.uk [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi,

But any other ideas?

Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

I raised this last year here as the clubs hosted server only supports SFTP. In the end I set up a process for saving the results to HTML and writing a script/batch file using the WINSCP to do the upload. A bit clunky but it works most of the time.

Reading this page i’d hoped it might be possible to integrate Winscp tighter into Sailwave.

Peter

It seems not.

It is a shame as SailWave is really rich, but dropping behind current IT / Cloud capabilities.

I probably could use INSYNC to pull from sync from Google Drive to linux, its only $25 but then I might resort to coding a specific Google Drive API watch/pull.

That way at least SailWave becomes nearly cloud based for us.

Hi Alan,

You can use a free dropbox account and this will do exactly what you want. Simply publish to a file on your PC and its automatically on the web site.

I just did this very quick proof of concept

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/220425/Website/index.html

I’ve not added all the results files so many of the links will be not found but for proof of concept I’ve add the

Inland Series 2016 results

and the Cup Series 2016 results.

For my proof of concept all I’ve done is created a Folder “Website” as a subdirectory of my Dropbox public folder and right clicked to get the public link of the index.html

You could of course have any URL point to this for easier access or it could be a link on your main website.

You don’t need to have the index page there. That could be on your main website and it just linking to the individual files - your choice.

Sailwave also supports publish to an installed application

Inline images 1

So if you have a specific protocol you want to support then you can use this option.

If there is a protocol that is going to be useful to quite a few people then I will provide it. Otherwise you could always pay me to have your own custom protocol.

Let me know your thoughts

Jon

···

On 27 August 2016 at 21:28, alan@sailfun.co.uk [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

It seems not.

It is a shame as SailWave is really rich, but dropping behind current IT / Cloud capabilities.

I probably could use INSYNC to pull from sync from Google Drive to linux, its only $25 but then I might resort to coding a specific Google Drive API watch/pull.

That way at least SailWave becomes nearly cloud based for us.

Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

I’m not sure the dropbox solution is what I (we) need.

What I’m trying to achieve is transfer to a server without ftp, as ftp is quickly becoming deprecated because of security issues.

In terms of protocol, I’m sure many would be happy with scp.

In note that there is and option to ‘windows application’

if I put in notepad.exe it fires up notepad with html in it

If you have a windows application is there a way of specifying the (temp?) local file

e.g.

myspecial.exe %1 user@server:/remote

where (for example) %1 is the place holder for the generated html

Is the intention that there is a Dropbox process on the PC that
automatically transfers all files in the Results folder on the PC
to the corresponding Results folder on the Dropbox server. ?

Then your Sailing server is linked to that folder on Dropbox.

···
regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Rondevlei South Africa
  On 2016-08-30 00:05, [sailwave] wrote:

What I'm trying to achieve is transfer to a server

without ftp, as ftp is quickly becoming deprecated because
of security issues.

In terms of protocol, I'm sure many would be happy with

scp.

In note that there is and option to 'windows

application’

if I put in notepad.exe  it fires up notepad with html

in it

If you have a windows application  is there a way of

specifying the (temp?) local file

e.g.

where (for example) %1 is the place holder for the

generated html

Virus-free. www.avast.comalan@sailfun.co.uk

That wasn’t what what was described.

Of course that can be done with linux headless dropbox sync. It isn’t that hard, but if I need to install software, as my servers are already in the Googel cloud I’d prefer to use google technology.

It is simple enough to transfer a file at command line from a PC to a Google Compute Engine server, th issue is triggering the right PC command

[gcloud compute copy-files](https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/compute/copy-files) ~/LOCAL-FILE-1 example-instance:~/REMOTE-DIR ``All I need is Sailwave to be able to write the command line with a temp file in the right place, when publishing to 'an installed application'

A generic solution like that could be used by winscp command line, gcloud command line or any other command line app

In the end it is rather easy when you know how.

Install WinSCP

Set up your public/private key pairs using putty gen in the normal way

create a script that is run at startup that uses ‘keepuptodate’ e.g.

open scp://myuser@myserver.uk/ -passphrase=mypassphrase -privatekey=“c:\Users\person\directory\key.ppk”

keepuptodate c:\Users\person/directory/results /home/person/results/

Only took all afternoon to whittle down the options

Alan,

The idea of using Dropbox links is that you don’t transmit anything to the server at all, other than the link. So you just edit your web page in the usual way, add the link and you’re done. No upload.

You do have to pick up the link from Dropbox at the outset, but that’s usually way easier than a server file upload. Say goodbye to FTP (assuming you’re using some other method of keeping your web pages current.)

jrc

···

On Aug 29, 2016 3:05 PM, “alan@sailfun.co.uk [sailwave]” sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

What I’m trying to achieve is transfer to a server without ftp, as ftp is quickly becoming deprecated because of security issues.

If you have a windows application is there a way of specifying the (temp?) local file

e.g.

Thats fine it that is what you want to do, but I want to have the results integrated to the website with navigation etc, to achieve that I upload the html to the server and then extract the content in the and inject that into the web page.

I believe that there are several others doing similar and even a Joomla plugin (I use WordPress for our site) to do similar manipulation.

Hi Alan,

I understand that you are thinking of transferring the files to your server, but with the Dropbox solution there is no need to transfer the files. All you need on the server is a link to the file and this link can be setup before the results are published. You may want to put a file there with html content that tells anyone that accesses it that results haven’t been published yet rather than getting an error 404.

So all the scorer does it publish to a file on their PC - Dropbox will then automatically upload it to the cloud and as your server has a link to this then user will be able to view them instantly. No ftp or scp required !!

Going back to the Publish to Application

The application you specify will be opened with a parameter on its command line of a temporary file containing the html that you publish. So this is doing what you want as I understand. You can make it do anything you want - Transfer via scp if want perhaps with a python or similar script

Jon

···

On 29 August 2016 at 23:05, alan@sailfun.co.uk [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

e.g.

Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

As mentioned, the dropbox solution doesn’t really cater for tighter integration to the website, like generation of navigation menus based on series titles etc and extracting the body. Of course dropbox could be used as an intermediate stageing in that process but is an unnecessary step.

I did assume that perhaps the ‘application’ option might add a temporary file and I did investigate that but for some reason couldn’t get the filename as an input parameter, it might have been because I need to send two parameters, destination filename and the temp file. Clearly that would be the simplest solution to call an application to do the transfer.

e.g. myapp.cmd /path/dest ( and implied temp file as the second parameter

whrere myapp.cmd contains something like

winscp.com /command "open scp://user:password@example.com/" "put %2% %1%" "exit"

Yes - WinSCP scrpt works fins as a windows application

write a .cmd to run the WinSCP.com with a simple put script

Any one need this I’ll share somewhere

yes that would be awesome – not great at scripting so any help / instructions are highly appreciated !

Cheers,

Markus

···

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 31. August 2016 12:32
Betreff: [sailwave] Re: Publish without FTP

Yes - WinSCP scrpt works fins as a windows application

write a .cmd to run the WinSCP.com with a simple put script

Any one need this I’ll share somewhere

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Yes please, I’d love to be able to try it. Wish I’d thought of it before !

Peter

OK I’ll write up a blog post ‘how to’ scp/sftp and publish teh link back here when I have done so

awesome thanks so much !

···

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 1. September 2016 00:28
Betreff: [sailwave] Re: Publish without FTP

OK I’ll write up a blog post ‘how to’ scp/sftp and publish teh link back here when I have done so

Avast logo

www.avast.com