Publishing Individual Races with NHC Handicaps.

Just completed our Spring Series results with NHC Personal Handicaps. Thanks for all the help setting this up.

I have one small issue with the published results after the last race, which is that the Personal Rating associated with the individual races is NOT the rating used for that race (or in fact any race in the series) - it is the rating that will be used in the NEXT race (or now for the start of the next series).

Is there any way I can get the Personal Rating used for each race to be output instead?

I know that the number are there - r displays them in Sailwave, but I can’t see how to get these Personal Race Ratings displayed in the published Individual race tables.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hi Mark,

If you Press F6 R and display the ratings if you publish while they are being displayed then they will be published as you see on the screen.

The column you are talking about is the New Rating column this is always the rating that will be used for the next race.

The only way to publish a series result with ratings is to publish them as above.

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Hi Mark,

I just started looking at setting up a series using Personal Handicapping, but am obviously missing something.

Would you mind setting out the process you used?

My aim is to somehow handicap a fleet of one design boats, so personal handicapping the helm seemed to be the way to go.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Jools.

···

Sent from my Windows Phone, please excuse any typos.

junkemail@talktalk.net [sailwave]

Sent:
‎03/‎06/‎2019 23:17

To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Subject:
[sailwave] Publishing Individual Races with NHC Handicaps.

Just completed our Spring Series results with NHC Personal Handicaps. Thanks for all the help setting this up.

I have one small issue with the published results after the last race, which is that the Personal Rating associated with the individual races is NOT the rating used for that race (or in fact any race in the series) - it is the rating that will be used
in the NEXT race (or now for the start of the next series).

Is there any way I can get the Personal Rating used for each race to be output instead?

I know that the number are there - r displays them in Sailwave, but I can’t see how to get these Personal Race Ratings displayed in the published Individual race tables.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

I am interested in how to setup personal handicaps as well.

Thanks,

Jerry

···

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 6:16 AM Julian Briggs julian_briggs@live.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Mark,

I just started looking at setting up a series using Personal Handicapping, but am obviously missing something.

My aim is to somehow handicap a fleet of one design boats, so personal handicapping the helm seemed to be the way to go.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Jools.

junkemail@talktalk.net [sailwave]

Sent:
‎03/‎06/‎2019 23:17

To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Subject:
[sailwave] Publishing Individual Races with NHC Handicaps.

I have one small issue with the published results after the last race, which is that the Personal Rating associated with the individual races is NOT the rating used for that race (or in fact any race in the series) - it is the rating that will be used
in the NEXT race (or now for the start of the next series).

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Thanks for this. Your reply does give me an extra option, I could cut/paste the rating from a second publishing to the NewRating column that I am calling Personal Rating in my output.

However, I have been doing a bit of “Playing” and I have noticed that if I configure the “Columns” to enable Publishing for the “Rating” column and the “NewRating” column, the following results are seen:

In the Summary table: NewRating displayed as the latest NewRating as expected, and Rating is displayed as the RYA PY number from the Rating File.

In the Individual Race Tables, however, the Rating is displayed with default heading of NHC1 and I think it is the Rating used for that race – Which is exactly what I want, and the NewRating column is displayed as the latest New Rating as per the summary – not what I want.

So to give me what I want, It would be REALLY good if I could control what is published in the Summary Table separately to the Individual Race Tables.

i.e. What I think would be most useful to the competitors is to see the Rating (as currently output) in the Individual Race Tables and the NewRating in the Summary Table.

Is this possible in a future enhancement? It would need an extra config flag for each of the columns i.e. Publish in Summary and Publish in Race Tables.

Mark.

···

Sent: 04 June 2019 10:44
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Publishing Individual Races with NHC Handicaps.

Hi Mark,

If you Press F6 R and display the ratings if you publish while they are being displayed then they will be published as you see on the screen.

The column you are talking about is the New Rating column this is always the rating that will be used for the next race.

The only way to publish a series result with ratings is to publish them as above.

Jon

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 23:17, junkemail@talktalk.net [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

I have one small issue with the published results after the last race, which is that the Personal Rating associated with the individual races is NOT the rating used for that race (or in fact any race in the series) - it is the rating that will be used in the NEXT race (or now for the start of the next series).

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hi Julian & Jerry,

I am not sure I am the correct person to reply, as I NEEDED a lot of help setting this up at the beginning of the year. If I miss anything, have a look at the USER GROUP emails from February with subject “NHC Scoring”. I think you may be at the point I was back last November.

I have set up personal handicaps to use the RYA PY as the base handicap and use the Sailwave RYA NHC corrections to produce a Personal Rating.

• First it is probably best to get the latest Sailwave installation. You need SWHelper.exe version 1.9.1 or later. Current version is 1.9.3, which is all bundled with the latest full Sailwave installation.

• Next, if you want to keep standard RYA PY scoring, then you need to Alias the competitors. Aliasing is enabled by checking the box in the User Interface setup:

• This will enable the New Competitor Aliasing option under the Edit menu,

• Put the Aliased competitors in a separate Fleet or Division (I use fleet = NHC).

• Then enable NHC scoring for the Aliased Fleet:

• The options I have Under Edit Fleet for the NHC Fleet is:

• Lastly, the Sailwave NHC calculation populates the Race Rating for the NEXT RACE during the processing of the current race results. This means you need one EXTRA race in the series, so that the processing of the last race has somewhere to store the NewRating.

This, I call R1 in the next series and then when I transfer to the new series I delete the R1 – RN in the current series, just leaving R1 in the Next series (which has the Personal Handicap based on the last race of the current series), then I add R2 to RN in the next series (the new Current Series) and also R1 in the new Next series as the Dummy race.

I realise that this may be a bit much in one go – I took a few attempts and fell into at least one trap - SWHelper.exe 1.9.1 was not part of the installation when I started!

If I have missed anything, then I am sure that others will fill in the gaps and/or correct me.

Mark.

···

Sent: 04 June 2019 11:35

I am interested in how to setup personal handicaps as well.

Thanks,

Jerry

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 6:16 AM Julian Briggs julian_briggs@live.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Mark,

Many thanks.
Regards,
Jools.

Sent: ‎03/‎06/‎2019 23:17
Subject: [sailwave] Publishing Individual Races with NHC Handicaps.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Thanks for this. Your reply does give me an extra option, I could cut/paste the rating from a second publishing to the NewRating column that I am calling Personal Rating in my output.

However, I have been doing a bit of “Playing” and I have noticed that if I configure the “Columns” to enable Publishing for the “Rating” column and the “NewRating” column, the following results are seen:

In the Summary table: NewRating displayed as the latest NewRating as expected, and Rating is displayed as the RYA PY number from the Rating File.

In the Individual Race Tables, however, the Rating is displayed with default heading of NHC1 and I think it is the Rating used for that race – Which is exactly what I want, and the NewRating column is displayed as the latest New Rating as per the summary – not what I want.

So to give me what I want, It would be REALLY good if I could control what is published in the Summary Table separately to the Individual Race Tables.

i.e. What I think would be most useful to the competitors is to see the Rating (as currently output) in the Individual Race Tables and the NewRating in the Summary Table.

Is this possible in a future enhancement? It would need an extra config flag for each of the columns i.e. Publish in Summary and Publish in Race Tables…

Mark.

···

Hi Mark,

Jon

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 23:17, junkemail@talktalk.net [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hi Mark,

The NewRating column is a new(ish) column that was added at user request to allow the new rating (For the next race) to be published with the series table

It is a field that belongs to the competitor record.

It is not intended that you should publish this column if you are publishing individual races as this is not applicable to the individual race unless it is the last race so it works well if you publish a series and only the last

image.png

If you want to publish all individual races the rating for each race is published with the individual race. You can also publish the rating that will be used for the next race by also publishing the race not yet sailed but it will show the ratings that it will use.

In a future version, I’m looking at the possibility of additionally publishing the rating that was calculated as a result of the race.

You can also publish all race ratings by keying F6 R before you publish.

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Jon,

Thanks for the explanation. I think the only issue is my interpretation of the “NewRating” value from the name.

Feed-back from the racers is that they want to see their handicap for each race and (hopefully) see how it improves over time.

I assumed that when published with individual races that the value output for R1 would be the value used in R2 and for R2 would be the value to be used for R3 – It was just a wrong assumption.

As I said, what the racers would like is the “Rating” to be published for the individual races and the “NewRating” for the summary table. It will be really encouraging for them to see the number improve through the series.

If I Publish the “Rating” as “Personal Rating” and “NewRating” as “New Rating” then this gives them (more or less) what they are asking for. All I need to do is to edit the html created by Sailwave to change the “Personal Rating” column in the Summary table to be “Base Rating” or “RYA PY” and the results will make sense – they just need to ignore the “New Rating” column in the individual tables. This is just one simple replacement – not too difficult, even for me.

How much work would it be to allow control or what columns are output for the Summary and Individual race tables separately? As you say, some parameters are applicable to the Summary only and some to the Individual only and some to both…

Mark.

···

Sent: 04 June 2019 22:48

Hi Mark,

The NewRating column is a new(ish) column that was added at user request to allow the new rating (For the next race) to be published with the series table

It is a field that belongs to the competitor record.

It is not intended that you should publish this column if you are publishing individual races as this is not applicable to the individual race unless it is the last race so it works well if you publish a series and only the last

image.png

If you want to publish all individual races the rating for each race is published with the individual race. You can also publish the rating that will be used for the next race by also publishing the race not yet sailed but it will show the ratings that it will use.

In a future version, I’m looking at the possibility of additionally publishing the rating that was calculated as a result of the race.

You can also publish all race ratings by keying F6 R before you publish.

Jon

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 at 20:33, ‘Mark Warren’ junkemail@talktalk.net [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Is this possible in a future enhancement? It would need an extra config flag for each of the columns i.e… Publish in Summary and Publish in Race Tables…

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Jon

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Thanks in advance,

Mark