Publishing to ftp

Hi all

I am trying to publish to our Club website from a new computer. I am using a file that still publishes fine on my old computer. I have changed noting and have checked the ftp settings which are identical. When I go to publish I get the pop-up message saying I have a connection to the website but when I click ‘Publish’ it waits a while and then fails, with Error 0.

If I try a different file that works on the old computer it also fails on the new one.

Any ideas as to what I’ve missed here?

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

Have you set the FTP parameters correctly in the Global options as these are not held in the file. They are specific to the PC

Inline images 1

Jon

···

On 17 February 2016 at 22:35, jimstrother@rocketmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi all

I am trying to publish to our Club website from a new computer. I am using a file that still publishes fine on my old computer. I have changed noting and have checked the ftp settings which are identical. When I go to publish I get the pop-up message saying I have a connection to the website but when I click ‘Publish’ it waits a while and then fails, with Error 0.

If I try a different file that works on the old computer it also fails on the new one.

Any ideas as to what I’ve missed here?

Thanks

Jim

Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

Could it be a Windows setting on the new PC that is blocking ftp access?

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Rondevlei South Africa

···

On 2016-02-18 00:35, jimstrother@rocketmail.com [sailwave] wrote:

Hi all

I am trying to publish to our Club website from a new computer. I am using a file that still publishes fine on my old computer. I have changed noting and have checked the ftp settings which are identical. When I go to publish I get the pop-up message saying I have a connection to the website but when I click 'Publish' it waits a while and then fails, with Error 0.

Any ideas as to what I've missed here?

Thanks

Jim

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Hi Jon and Malcolm

Jon - I have copied the settings exactly into Global options and used the same password.

Malcolm - it may well be a Windows setting but I wouldn’t know where to start!

Something must be happening because I’ve tried to publish two files now and they actually remove all content when I access the published page from my iPad or either computer - a completely blank page is displayed. I had to go back to the old computer to re-publish the two files.

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim - I’m a little confused you said originally that you couldn’t ftp to the server. But in this post you are saying you have a blank page. Are you in the UK if so would you like to give me a call or if not then Skype me (Skype name “eskdale”).

···

On 19 February 2016 at 08:14, jimstrother@rocketmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Jon and Malcolm

Jon - I have copied the settings exactly into Global options and used the same password.

Something must be happening because I’ve tried to publish two files now and they actually remove all content when I access the published page from my iPad or either computer - a completely blank page is displayed. I had to go back to the old computer to re-publish the two files.

Regards

Jim

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

Jim, Are you in fact publishing a blank page? - i.e. have you ticked the required options when publishing to get summary tables etc?

···

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 9:57 AM, Jon Eskdale jon@sailwave.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Jim - I’m a little confused you said originally that you couldn’t ftp to the server. But in this post you are saying you have a blank page. Are you in the UK if so would you like to give me a call or if not then Skype me (Skype name “eskdale”).

Cheers,

Colin J

http://op12no2.me

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

On 19 February 2016 at 08:14, jimstrother@rocketmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Jon and Malcolm

Regards

Jim

For what it’s worth - I can’t use the FTP function in Sailwave as my website only supports Secure FTP (SFTP), so I use a batch file with WinSCP for my uploads

However, recently I have had problems with it resulting in a blank page on the website and I have to keep trying the upload until it works. I’ve not found the cause for this yet (and I’m a network engineer!) but wonder if it’s getting corrupted in the transfer somehow.

So for me, the published HTML file from Sailwave is OK, just the transfer that’s breaking it. I’m not sure this has any relevance to your problem, just offering it as food for thought. :slight_smile:

Peter

Bough Beech SC.

Have now discussed and tried various things with Jon - thanks very much for our help - we have established that the file will upload via a different ftp tool so we think it’s something to do with the path. I’ll consult someone at the Club who set this up in the first place and if I get an answer will share here.

Good winds for all if you’re out this weekend

JIm

Well it turns out Malcolm Osborne had the right idea. Windows 10 has a list of programmes allowed to go through its firewall, which didn’t include Sailwave. Now it does and hey presto, my file uploads just as it should.

Thank you all, especially Jon and Malcolm for your help and suggestions.
Jim