publishing

New to sailwave. Got almost everything figured out for our upcoming 2010 season. Need to change the default from notepad to another program when publishing in "editor". My predecessor used Microsoft Word. I don't have MS Word, I use OpenOffice.org.Writer.
Stef

Hi Stef,

Just replace notepad.exe with the path to the OpenOffice writer exe. I
have done it with the OpenOffice Calc exe instead od Excel.

Kind regards,

Huw

···

On 28/02/2010 14:16, sseeuwen wrote:

New to sailwave. Got almost everything figured out for our
upcoming 2010 season. Need to change the default from notepad to
another program when publishing in “editor”. My predecessor used
Microsoft Word. I don’t have MS Word, I use OpenOffice.org.Writer.

Stef

Assume that the path is Publish / Results / Destination = `An installed application’

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

···

----- Original Message -----

Huw Pearce

To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:14 PM

Subject: Re: [sailwave] publishing

Hi Stef,

Just replace notepad.exe with the path to the OpenOffice writer exe. I have done it with the OpenOffice Calc exe instead od Excel.

Kind regards,
Huw

New to sailwave. Got almost everything figured out for our upcoming 2010 season. Need to change the default from notepad to another program when publishing in "editor". My predecessor used Microsoft Word. I don't have MS Word, I use OpenOffice.org.Writer.

Stef

“an installed application” is notepad. If you publish in notepad it’s just jiberish. Would love to put OpenOffice writer in it’s place. Can’t seem to find where to change this. I thought it was something I could change in sailwave.

···

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Malcolm Osborne malcolmo@telkomsa.net wrote:

Assume that the path is Publish / Results / Destination = `An installed application’

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Huw Pearce

Hi Stef,

Just replace notepad.exe with the path to the OpenOffice writer exe. I have done it with the OpenOffice Calc exe instead od Excel.

Kind regards,
Huw

Stef

If you select Publish / Results / Destination = `An installed application’, a window opens where you can specify the application , or a browse option is there.

If you go to C:/Program Files, then go to the directory containing the Open Office write app. and specify the Open Office writer app.

e.g. c:/program files/openoffice/writer.exe

I don’t have Open Office for Windows (only for Ubuntu), so can’t test this myself.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

···

Stef Seeuwen

Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:17 AM

“an installed application” is notepad. If you publish in notepad it’s just jiberish. Would love to put OpenOffice writer in it’s place. Can’t seem to find where to change this. I thought it was something I could change in sailwave.

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Malcolm Osborne malcolmo@telkomsa.net > wrote:

Assume that the path is Publish / Results / Destination = `An installed application'

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Stef,

Kind regards,
Huw

Stef

Doesn’t work. I’m using version 1.94 build 28, I think that’s where the confusion is coming in. I was asked to use this version. Our club had too many problems with whatever version was available July 09.

All I am trying to do is Publish / (select) Editor and have it open in Openoffice/writer instead of notepad. Would save in a .doc file so I can send out.

Stef Seeuwen
PA USA

···

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Malcolm Osborne malcolmo@telkomsa.net wrote:

If you select Publish / Results / Destination = `An installed application’, a window opens where you can specify the application , or a browse option is there.

If you go to C:/Program Files, then go to the directory containing the Open Office write app. and specify the Open Office writer app.

I don’t have Open Office for Windows (only for Ubuntu), so can’t test this myself.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Stef Seeuwen

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Malcolm Osborne malcolmo@telkomsa.net > > wrote:

Assume that the path is Publish / Results / Destination = `An installed application'

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Stef,

Kind regards,
Huw

Stef

Does your version 1.94 have the `Publish to Application’ option?

I have an old version of 1.95 on my PC, which has this option. From file dates, looks like this was from the 2006 era and was the best version at that time, certainly better than 1.94.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

···

Stef Seeuwen

Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 2:58 AM

Doesn’t work. I’m using version 1.94 build 28, I think that’s where the confusion is coming in. I was asked to use this version. Our club had too many problems with whatever version was available July 09.

All I am trying to do is Publish / (select) Editor and have it open in Openoffice/writer instead of notepad. Would save in a .doc file so I can send out.

Stef Seeuwen
PA USA

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Malcolm Osborne malcolmo@telkomsa.net > wrote:

If you select Publish / Results / Destination = `An installed application', a window opens where you can specify the application , or a browse option is there.
If you go to C:/Program Files, then go to the directory containing  the Open Office write app. and specify the Open Office writer app.
I don't have Open Office for Windows (only for Ubuntu), so can't test this myself.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

"an installed application" is notepad.  If you publish in notepad it's just jiberish.  Would love to put OpenOffice writer in it's place.  Can't seem to find where to change this.  I thought it was something I could change in sailwave. 
  On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Malcolm Osborne <malcolmo@telkomsa.net> wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Stef,

Kind regards,
Huw

Stef

Yes, Application is one of the selections.

Stef Seeuwen

···

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Malcolm Osborne malcolmo@telkomsa.net wrote:

I have an old version of 1.95 on my PC, which has this option. From file dates, looks like this was from the 2006 era and was the best version at that time, certainly better than 1.94.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Stef Seeuwen

Stef Seeuwen
PA USA

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Malcolm Osborne malcolmo@telkomsa.net > > wrote:

If you select Publish / Results / Destination = `An installed application', a window opens where you can specify the application , or a browse option is there.
If you go to C:/Program Files, then go to the directory containing  the Open Office write app. and specify the Open Office writer app.
I don't have Open Office for Windows (only for Ubuntu), so can't test this myself.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

"an installed application" is notepad.  If you publish in notepad it's just jiberish.  Would love to put OpenOffice writer in it's place.  Can't seem to find where to change this.  I thought it was something I could change in sailwave. 
  On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Malcolm Osborne <malcolmo@telkomsa.net> wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Stef,

Kind regards,
Huw

Stef

There should be MS Word & MS Excel buttons there, they work quite nicely for OpenOffice.

cheers
Tony

···

At 09:09 12/03/2010, Stef Seeuwen wrote:

Stef Seeuwen

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Malcolm Osborne ><<mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.net>malcolmo@telkomsa.net> wrote:

Does your version 1.94 have the `Publish to Application' option?

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

To: <mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com>sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Doesn't work. I'm using version 1.94 build 28, I think that's where the confusion is coming in. I was asked to use this version. Our club had too many problems with whatever version was available July 09.

Stef Seeuwen
PA USA

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Malcolm Osborne ><<mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.net>malcolmo@telkomsa.net> wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

"an installed application" is notepad. If you publish in notepad it's just jiberish. Would love to put OpenOffice writer in it's place. Can't seem to find where to change this. I thought it was something I could change in sailwave.

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Malcolm >Osborne <<mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.net>malcolmo@telkomsa.net> wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Stef,

Kind regards,
Huw

Stef

If you go to Publish to Application, can you find an executable app for Open Office ?

Does OA run from a *.exe file?

I’m trying to establish what doesn’t work - where the process is breaking down.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

···

Stef Seeuwen

Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 11:09 AM

Stef Seeuwen

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Malcolm Osborne malcolmo@telkomsa.net > wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Doesn't work.  I'm using version 1.94 build 28, I think that's where the confusion is coming in.  I was asked to use this version.  Our club had too many problems with whatever version was available July 09.  

All I am trying to do is Publish / (select) Editor and have it open in Openoffice/writer instead of notepad.  Would save in a .doc file so I can send out.

Stef Seeuwen

PA USA

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Malcolm Osborne <malcolmo@telkomsa.net> wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Stef,

Kind regards,
Huw

Stef

The MS Excel & MS Word buttons are the best bet, but you can browse to:

Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\scalc.exe

or

Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\swriter.exe

cheers
Tony

···

At 19:30 12/03/2010, Malcolm Osborne wrote:

If you go to Publish to Application, can you find an executable app for Open Office ?

I'm trying to establish what doesn't work - where the process is breaking down.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Stef Seeuwen

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Malcolm Osborne ><<mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.net>malcolmo@telkomsa.net> wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Doesn't work. I'm using version 1.94 build 28, I think that's where the confusion is coming in. I was asked to use this version. Our club had too many problems with whatever version was available July 09.

Stef Seeuwen
PA USA

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Malcolm Osborne ><<mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.net>malcolmo@telkomsa.net> wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

"an installed application" is notepad. If you publish in notepad it's just jiberish. Would love to put OpenOffice writer in it's place. Can't seem to find where to change this. I thought it was something I could change in sailwave.

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Malcolm >Osborne <<mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.net>malcolmo@telkomsa.net> wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Stef,

Kind regards,
Huw

Stef

That works!
Not to get greedy but any way to reduce the size? Uses 4 pasges versus 2 on htm.

Stef
PA USA

···

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Tony Tucker tony@tonytucker.com wrote:

or

cheers
Tony

If you go to Publish to Application, can you

find an executable app for Open Office ?

I’m trying to establish what doesn’t work -

where the process is breaking down.

regards,

Malcolm Osborne

Sedgefield, South Africa

To: mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.comsailwave@yahoogroups.com

Stef Seeuwen

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Malcolm Osborne > ><mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.netmalcolmo@telkomsa.net> wrote:

I have an old version of 1.95 on my PC, which

has this option. From file dates, looks like

this was from the 2006 era and was the best

version at that time, certainly better than 1.94.

regards,

Malcolm Osborne

Sedgefield, South Africa

Doesn’t work. I’m using version 1.94 build 28,

I think that’s where the confusion is coming

in. I was asked to use this version. Our club

had too many problems with whatever version was available July 09.

All I am trying to do is Publish / (select)

Editor and have it open in Openoffice/writer

instead of notepad. Would save in a .doc file so I can send out.

Stef Seeuwen

PA USA

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Malcolm Osborne > ><mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.netmalcolmo@telkomsa.net> wrote:

If you select Publish / Results / Destination =

`An installed application’, a window opens where

you can specify the application , or a browse option is there.

If you go to C:/Program Files, then go to the

directory containing the Open Office write app.

and specify the Open Office writer app.

I don’t have Open Office for Windows (only for

Ubuntu), so can’t test this myself.

regards,

Malcolm Osborne

Sedgefield, South Africa

“an installed application” is notepad. If you

publish in notepad it’s just jiberish. Would

love to put OpenOffice writer in it’s

place. Can’t seem to find where to change

this. I thought it was something I could change in sailwave.

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Malcolm > >Osborne <mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.netmalcolmo@telkomsa.net> wrote:

Assume that the path is Publish / Results /

Destination = `An installed application’

regards,

Malcolm Osborne

Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Stef,

Just replace notepad.exe with the path to the

OpenOffice writer exe. I have done it with the

OpenOffice Calc exe instead od Excel.

Kind regards,

Huw

New to sailwave. Got almost everything figured

out for our upcoming 2010 season. Need to

change the default from notepad to another

program when publishing in “editor”. My

predecessor used Microsoft Word. I don’t have

MS Word, I use OpenOffice.org.Writer.

Stef

As usual…

• reduce page margins from default 2.0 cm, 2.5 cm or 1 in to 0.6 mm / 1/4 in
  • preview page to see what will be printed, change orientation if needed
  • manually re-arrange columns
  • last solution if you are desparate, reduce at printing, you should find an print option reduce to 1 page wide and 2 pages high…
    Phil
···

Stef Seeuwen

Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:19 AM

That works!
Not to get greedy but any way to reduce the size? Uses 4 pasges versus 2 on htm.

Stef
PA USA

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Tony Tucker tony@tonytucker.com > wrote:

or

cheers
Tony

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Stef Seeuwen

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Malcolm Osborne > > ><mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.netmalcolmo@telkomsa.net > wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Stef Seeuwen
PA USA

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Malcolm Osborne > > ><mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.netmalcolmo@telkomsa.net> wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Malcolm > > >Osborne <mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.netmalcolmo@telkomsa.net > wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Stef,

Kind regards,
Huw

Stef

That doesn’t work for me.

I tried using the help file. Tried this method without success.
Maybe I’m on the wrong track.

The default results publishing template will publish your burgees full size. To create your own publishing template that resizes the burgees, follow these once-only instructions:-

Using MyComputer navigate to the Sailwave installation folder; usually c:\program files\sailwave.

Navigate into the templates folder. You will see a dozen or so .htm files and a folder called my templates.

Right-click on results.htm and select copy.

Navigate into the my templates folder.

Right-click and select paste.

Still in my templates, open results.htm with Notepad or other text editor - for example right-click on the copy of results.htm, and select Open with and then Notepad.

Locate the lines that look like this:-

event burgee

venue burgee

• Edit them to set the width required in pixels, 50 is usually about right, so that they look like this:-*

event burgee

venue burgee

The changes are in bold type for emphasis only. Save the file.

Publish and check the size. Re-edit and publish until it looks about right. You do not have to close Sailwave when doing this. In fact you can just stay in Notepad and use File+Save while test publishing until it looks OK.

···

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Philippe DE TROY philippe@detroy.org wrote:

As usual…

• reduce page margins from default 2.0 cm, 2.5 cm or 1 in to 0.6 mm / 1/4 in
  • preview page to see what will be printed, change orientation if needed
  • manually re-arrange columns
  • last solution if you are desparate, reduce at printing, you should find an print option reduce to 1 page wide and 2 pages high…
    Phil

Stef Seeuwen

That works!

Stef
PA USA

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Tony Tucker tony@tonytucker.com > > wrote:

or

cheers
Tony

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Stef Seeuwen

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Malcolm Osborne > > > ><mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.netmalcolmo@telkomsa.net > wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Stef Seeuwen
PA USA

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Malcolm Osborne > > > ><mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.netmalcolmo@telkomsa.net> wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Malcolm > > > >Osborne <mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.netmalcolmo@telkomsa.net > wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Stef,

Kind regards,
Huw

Stef

I don’t think that will work for you, using OO.

If your burgees are showing too big, use Photoshop or some other photo editor (Microsoft Photo Editor?) to make the burgee source file smaller.

(function `Scale Image’, or similar)

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

···

Stef Seeuwen

Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2010 9:06 PM

That doesn’t work for me.

I tried using the help file. Tried this method without success.
Maybe I’m on the wrong track.

The default results publishing template will publish your burgees full size. To create your own publishing template that resizes the burgees, follow these once-only instructions:-

Using MyComputer navigate to the Sailwave installation folder; usually c:\program files\sailwave.

Navigate into the templates folder. You will see a dozen or so .htm files and a folder called my templates.

Right-click on results.htm and select copy.

Navigate into the my templates
folder.

Right-click and select paste.

Still in my templates, open results.htm with Notepad or other text editor - for example right-click on the copy of results.htm , and select Open with and then Notepad.

Locate the lines that look like this:-

• event burgee*
  • venue burgee*
  • Edit them to set the width required in pixels, 50 is usually about right, so that they look like this:-*
  • event burgee*
  • venue burgee*
  • The changes are in bold type for emphasis only. Save the file.*

Publish and check the size. Re-edit and publish until it looks about right. You do not have to close Sailwave when doing this. In fact you can just stay in Notepad and use File+Save while test publishing until it looks OK.

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Philippe DE TROY philippe@detroy.org > wrote:

As usual…

•   reduce page margins from default 2.0 cm, 2.5 cm or 1 in to 0.6 mm / 1/4 in

•   preview page to see what will be printed, change orientation if needed

•   manually re-arrange columns

•   last solution if you are desparate, reduce at printing, you should find an print option reduce to 1 page wide and 2 pages high...

Phil

That works!

Stef
PA USA

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Tony Tucker tony@tonytucker.com wrote:

Program Files\OpenOffice. org 3\program\scalc.exe

or

Program Files\OpenOffice.        org 3\program\swriter.exe

cheers
Tony

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Stef Seeuwen

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Malcolm Osborne > > > > ><mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.netmalcolmo@telkomsa.net > wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Stef Seeuwen
PA USA

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Malcolm Osborne > > > > ><mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.netmalcolmo@telkomsa.net > wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Malcolm > > > > >Osborne <mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.netmalcolmo@telkomsa.net > wrote:

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Stef,