Pursuit Race

Hi,

Has anyone ever set up Sailwave for a pursuit race? Namely entering the boats and their handicaps and allowing sailwave to give the starting times. I can do this in Excel but just wondered if there was a facility in sailwave to save an operation. I couldn’t see one.

Thanks

PJ

Hi Paul,

You can use the Sailwave SWPH program which has a pursuit race calculation mode

Details can be found here https://sites.google.com/site/eskdalesite/home/swph

Scroll down to the section on Pursuit race.

This from last year may also be of interest to you

Fri, 12 Oct 2018, 16:10

My Club (Hurst Castle Sailing Club) has been using Sailwave, and also your SWPH program, for several years. Sailwave is brilliant – it does everything we want and much, much more. The SWPH program is also excellent for calculating our Pursuit Race start times, but I have one small gripe about what it does. When the starts are written back to Sailwave, the finishes are written as “Finish Time”, rather than “Place”. We run our Pursuit Races over a fixed time period, and at the end of the race, the Committee Boat runs back down te fleet from first to last, allocating finish places. We therefore cannot enter finish times, only places. This means that in order for the Race officer to just use the Sail Number wizard to enter the results, somebody has to edit each start individually to change them all to “Finishes – Place”.

Is there any way to configure SWPH to write the finishes as “Place”, or is this a modification which you might be able to do?

Thanks in anticipation of your help!

Give this one a try https://www.dropbox.com/s/8r1tc9dzhezy7m8/SWPH.EXE?dl=1 Version should be 2.1

Replace the version you have with this one.

And put a file named “SWPH.ini” in the same directory ( The file can be empty it just looks for a file of that name in the same directory)

If the file exists it should set the start to place rather than Finish time.

I’ve just written it but not tested it. It should work Let me know how it goes.

Jon

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Amazing! Thank you very much – I’ve just run the software in preparation for tomorrow’s pursuit race (in the optimistic hope that the weather will improve!), and all the starts come out as “Finishes – Place”, exactly as required!

Thank you once again!

Regards

Jon

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

···

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 at 08:54, p.jackson76956@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi,

Has anyone ever set up Sailwave for a pursuit race? Namely entering the boats and their handicaps and allowing sailwave to give the starting times. I can do this in Excel but just wondered if there was a facility in sailwave to save an operation. I couldn’t see one.

Thanks

PJ

Jon

Thanks yet again all set up. I am assuming that because we are using the latest version of sailwave greater than 2.1 we are good for the finish places? As per the email

Thanks

PJ

Please note

Mobile Number

07463 369419

···

Sent: 08 August 2019 09:20
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Pursuit Race

Hi Paul,

You can use the Sailwave SWPH program which has a pursuit race calculation mode

Details can be found here https://sites.google.com/site/eskdalesite/home/swph

Scroll down to the section on Pursuit race.

This from last year may also be of interest to you

Fri, 12 Oct 2018, 16:10

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

My Club (Hurst Castle Sailing Club) has been using Sailwave, and also your SWPH program, for several years. Sailwave is brilliant – it does everything we want and much, much more. The SWPH program is also excellent for calculating our Pursuit Race start times, but I have one small gripe about what it does. When the starts are written back to Sailwave, the finishes are written as “Finish Time”, rather than “Place”. We run our Pursuit Races over a fixed time period, and at the end of the race, the Committee Boat runs back down te fleet from first to last, allocating finish places. We therefore cannot enter finish times, only places. This means that in order for the Race officer to just use the Sail Number wizard to enter the results, somebody has to edit each start individually to change them all to “Finishes – Place”.

Is there any way to configure SWPH to write the finishes as “Place”, or is this a modification which you might be able to do?

Thanks in anticipation of your help!

Image removed by sender.

Give this one a try https://www.dropbox.com/s/8r1tc9dzhezy7m8/SWPH.EXE?dl=1 Version should be 2.1

Replace the version you have with this one.

And put a file named “SWPH.ini” in the same directory ( The file can be empty it just looks for a file of that name in the same directory)

If the file exists it should set the start to place rather than Finish time.

I’ve just written it but not tested it. It should work Let me know how it goes.

Jon

Jon Eskdale

Image removed by sender.

03333 443377

07530 112233

Image removed by sender.

Amazing! Thank you very much – I’ve just run the software in preparation for tomorrow’s pursuit race (in the optimistic hope that the weather will improve!), and all the starts come out as “Finishes – Place”, exactly as required!

Thank you once again!

Image removed by sender.

Regards

Jon

Jon Eskdale

Image removed by sender.

03333 443377

07530 112233

Image removed by sender.

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 at 08:54, p.jackson76956@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

PJ

Hi Paul,

Just make sure the version of SWPH.exe is Version 2.1

Right click the file and select properties and then details

image.png

Then create the empty file named swph.ini as in the previous email.

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233