Race Recording template

Does something exist, or does someone have, a template that can be used with Sailwave, to produce a list of sail numbers, together with columns which can be printed out for the bridge?

Such a list is used for recording finishing positions, lap positions and / or times, no. of starters, DNF’s etc.

It is something slightly similar to the `Competitor List’ template that exists.

I see that SW makes provision for `My Templates’, but these things seem to use macros (wizards) to extract the data from SW?

regards,

Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi Malcolm

Be VERY careful about printing lists to record finishing positions.

Sailors are most unhelpful people & don’t tend to finish in alphabetical class & sail number order :wink:

In large fleets this can cause MAJOR problems in recorders trying to find the boat on the list, in the meantime, the ‘caller’ has called another 5 boats that have gone through.

I always issue a blank sheet which allows the recorder to record boats in the order that they come through the line, SW then does the sorting.

This method also help to resolve problems if a boat has been missed

WRT pre-race info, lists are very helpful in providing the race committee with details of who should be coming to the start area.

I have normally found that such lists can be easily published through SW or to a spreadsheet for any special sorting.

The most important ‘pre-list’ is in multiclass races when a quick sort by sail number identifies any duplicates across classes.

It is surprising how few duplicates tend to occur (even in 200+ fleets) which makes the recorder’s life easier when boats cross the line every second

Regards

Ralph

···

Sent: 08 May 2007 22:18
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sailwave] Race Recording template

Does something exist, or does someone have, a template that can be used with Sailwave, to produce a list of sail numbers, together with columns which can be printed out for the bridge?

Such a list is used for recording finishing positions, lap positions and / or times, no. of starters, DNF’s etc.

I see that SW makes provision for `My Templates’, but these things seem to use macros (wizards) to extract the data from SW?

regards,

Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

Ralph, for what it’s worth my technique has always been to write down
the positions of the boats as they go thru the finish line at the end
of the first lap. This will be pretty much the final finishing order,
give or take, so you are not leaping up and down the entry list trying
to enter positions/times into an alpha/numeric list. (Try doing that
with 70+ Lasers!!)

Simon

Burghfield SC

Ralph Tingle wrote:

···

mailto:malcolmo@telkomsa.net]
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com

-- ______________________________________
Simon Smith
BT Day 01252 860264 Eve 01252 878032 Mob 07712 659276
Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 - Linux for Human Beings

simon@smith.nethttp://www.simon.smith.net/

Hi Malcolm
Sailors are most unhelpful people & don't tend to finish in

alphabetical class & sail number order

:wink:
Spot-on Ralph. Also remember the 'just use the last X digits'

trick', especially with one-design fleets.

···

--- In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Tingle" <rat@...> wrote:

Thanks Simon

I follow your system, just forgot to mention it :-/

Regards

Ralph

···

Sent: 10 May 2007 10:16
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Race Recording template

Ralph, for what it’s worth my technique has always been to write down the positions of the boats as they go thru the finish line at the end of the first lap. This will be pretty much the final finishing order, give or take, so you are not leaping up and down the entry list trying to enter positions/times into an alpha/numeric list. (Try doing that with 70+ Lasers!!)

Simon
Burghfield SC

Ralph Tingle wrote:

Hi Malcolm

Sailors are most unhelpful people & don’t tend to finish in alphabetical class & sail number order :wink:

In large fleets this can cause MAJOR problems in recorders trying to find the boat on the list, in the meantime, the ‘caller’ has called another 5 boats that have gone through.

I always issue a blank sheet which allows the recorder to record boats in the order that they come through the line, SW then does the sorting.

WRT pre-race info, lists are very helpful in providing the race committee with details of who should be coming to the start area.

I have normally found that such lists can be easily published through SW or to a spreadsheet for any special sorting.

The most important ‘pre-list’ is in multiclass races when a quick sort by sail number identifies any duplicates across classes.

It is surprising how few duplicates tend to occur (even in 200+ fleets) which makes the recorder’s life easier when boats cross the line every second

Regards

Ralph

To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

regards,

Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

-- ______________________________________
Simon Smith
simon@smith.net
[http://www.simon.smith.net/](http://www.simon.smith.net/)
BT Day 01252 860264 Eve 01252 878032 Mob 07712 659276
Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 - Linux for Human Beings

Ralph,

The main purpose for sail numbers is to allow the recorders to tick off and identify starters before the race.

The finishers would be entered into a blank column at the end of the race, as you say.

regards,

Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

···

----- Original Message -----

Ralph Tingle

Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:48 AM

Subject: RE: [sailwave] Race Recording template

Hi Malcolm

Regards

Ralph

Subject:
[sailwave] Race Recording template

regards,

Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.467 / Virus Database: 269.6.6/794 - Release Date: 2007/05/08 02:23 PM

Hi, Colin!

When publilshing different kind of sheets (say Results, Competitor list and so on), there will be the same selection of columns publishing…

I think that having the “Rank” coloumn on the Competitor list is kind of messy… So, I want to “hide when publishing”; BUT when I then wants to publilsh results I then have to “view when publishing”, wich I always forget…

I do not know how it “should have been”, but this way it should NOT. I have already chosen Publish + Competitor list… So that’s what I want, and then I do not want to publish the Rank coloumn… And; I don’t want to make any further choices…

Maybe this way:

1.I choose Publish

1. Then there could be “a helping hand” (like in setting up the Scoring system), so I could select the “most common” coloumns for say, Competitorlist…

Do you have anything on the “to do list” on this topic?

Regards,

Martin

yes - its there - … !

agree its a pain

copmpromise at present

cj

···

-----Original Message-----
From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Martin Bølgen
Sent: 11 May 2007 19:28
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sailwave] Publishing and coloumns

Hi, Colin!

When publilshing different kind of sheets (say Results, Competitor list and so on), there will be the same selection of columns publishing…

I think that having the “Rank” coloumn on the Competitor list is kind of messy… So, I want to “hide when publishing”; BUT when I then wants to publilsh results I then have to “view when publishing”, wich I always forget…

I do not know how it “should have been”, but this way it should NOT. I have already chosen Publish + Competitor list… So that’s what I want, and then I do not want to publish the Rank coloumn… And; I don’t want to make any further choices…

Maybe this way:

1.I choose Publish

1. Then there could be “a helping hand” (like in setting up the Scoring system), so I could select the “most common” coloumns for say, Competitorlist…

Do you have anything on the “to do list” on this topic?

Regards,

Martin

You can but its a pain - edit the columns so you only see the sailno (etc) then publish a competitor list. then edit the cols back - there is an obviious tweak needed here…

CJ

···

-----Original Message-----
From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Malcolm Osborne
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

regards,

Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa