Rearrange Recorded Places

Hi Jon

I am 'entering', via the messaging interface, recorded positions within
fleet and Sailwave successfully produces results within fleet so I'm unclear
as to where starts come into the picture.

The only reason I used starts at all was to restrict the competitors listed
in >Rearrange Recorded Places to just the fleet to be rearranged rather than
being faced with 300+ boats. I don't think it would work anyway because it
looks like it would give them all new places from 1 to 300+!

Does the messaging interface accept start definitions? It would be a lot of
work, and error prone, to enter 20 starts with longish descriptive names.

I'll send you the BLW.

A further thought - would it be possible in Rearrange Recorded Places to select the boats to be rearranged by Race and Fleet as well as Race and Start?

Hi Richard,

Sorry for the slightly slow response my son and girlfriend arrived home for the weekend - Saturday took me mountain biking for 14 miles on one of these trails in the forest (still in one piece just a couple of bruises and grazes - I know you are meant to stay on the bike just didn’t quite work like that!!) I’ve never done any of these serious trails before nor don much cycling recently so a bit exhausted especially after Sunday walking around a car show (hill climb).

Starts are very important if you have timed handicap racing as you need to know what times boats started. For one design class racing using the Sailno Wizard it will determine the position it allocates - If all competitors are in 1 class then their positions will be recorded in the order they are entered. For many events this is a good method. Take a typical windsurfing event where there are 5 fleets starting at 5 min intervals on the same start line and using the same finish line. All the results come in as one long list and are recorded as the position that they crossed the line. If there is a query and they know the person in front or behind them it may not be from the same fleet - Checking the paper list against the Sailwave list is easy.

If there are say 6 fleets racing on 2 different courses then typically I would configure the the starts to be the courses so that the positions entered will match their positions across the finish line. Making checking and corrections very easy. I all cases if you score by fleet then Sailwave automatically sorts the fleets out for you.

If you have multiple fleets crossing the same finishing line then you want to have those in the same start.

You only have to set the starts up for the first race and copy them to all the other races unless of course the situations change and you can modify individual races

Jon

···

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

On 29 August 2014 19:17, ‘Richard Creer’ richard@radixsoftware.co.uk [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Jon

I am ‘entering’, via the messaging interface, recorded positions within
fleet and Sailwave successfully produces results within fleet so I’m unclear
as to where starts come into the picture.

The only reason I used starts at all was to restrict the competitors listed
in >Rearrange Recorded Places to just the fleet to be rearranged rather than
being faced with 300+ boats. I don’t think it would work anyway because it
looks like it would give them all new places from 1 to 300+!

Does the messaging interface accept start definitions? It would be a lot of
work, and error prone, to enter 20 starts with longish descriptive names.

I’ll send you the BLW.