Redress in Final/qualifying series

In the last race of the final series of the topper Nationals 1 competitor was given redress and awarded Average points for the final series.

I don’t see any way to automate this, but since it was the last race it was easy to calculate by hand and enter. If it had been on previous days, then remembering to update those by hand would have been a pain.

The Redress awarded seems reasonable, at some point would it make sense to add options for Average in Qualifying series & Average in Final series to the available options?

Thanks

John

I think this makes sense John

The basis of Appendix A10 was probably established before Q/F series were introduced so this would not have been an issue & we have all missed it when upgrading SW for Appendix LE.

Colin: you may wish to put this on the development list but perhaps wait until the new rules are published, in case there are other changes required

Regards

Ralph

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Harvey, John
Sent: 19 August 2008 10:43
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Cc: Colin Jenkins
Subject:
[sailwave] Redress in Final/qualifying series

In the last race of the final series of the topper Nationals 1 competitor was given redress and awarded Average points for the final series.

I don’t see any way to automate this, but since it was the last race it was easy to calculate by hand and enter. If it had been on previous days, then remembering to update those by hand would have been a pain.

The Redress awarded seems reasonable, at some point would it make sense to add options for Average in Qualifying series & Average in Final series to the available options?

Thanks

John

RAlph,

The new Racing Rules are published, but not applicable before 01/01/2009… see on www.sailing.org

It is common with all softwares to use a spreadsheet, computer or paper and pen to calculate a redress. Sailwave will never be able to calculate all special cases, including the method of rounding.

Same for penalties, see the standard NoR of Laser Class, roundings are different from the standard.

However, help could be given for standard cases, like:

• average of all previous races

• average of all other races

• (add for app LE) average all qualifying races and average of final races.

rounded down / nearest with .5 rounded down or up / up

Have a look at all decisions of the jury in the major events to find recurrent ones and include them in SW as necessary

Phil

···

----- Original Message -----

Ralph Tingle

To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Cc: ‘Colin Jenkins’

Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:53 AM

Subject: RE: [sailwave] Redress in Final/qualifying series

The basis of Appendix A10 was probably established before Q/F series were introduced so this would not have been an issue & we have all missed it when upgrading SW for Appendix LE.

Colin: you may wish to put this on the development list but perhaps wait until the new rules are published, in case there are other changes required

Regards

Ralph

[mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Harvey, John
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject:

Thanks

John

Hi Phil

I had assumed that the rules would need to be approved at the November meeting before they are published

Do you have the url for the new rules as I can only find the current version on the ISAF web site?

Regards

Ralph

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Philippe DE TROY
Sent: 19 August 2008 11:39
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Redress in Final/qualifying series

RAlph,

The new Racing Rules are published, but not applicable before 01/01/2009… see on www.sailing.org

It is common with all softwares to use a spreadsheet, computer or paper and pen to calculate a redress. Sailwave will never be able to calculate all special cases, including the method of rounding.

Same for penalties, see the standard NoR of Laser Class, roundings are different from the standard.

Have a look at all decisions of the jury in the major events to find recurrent ones and include them in SW as necessary

Phil

Regards

Ralph

To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject:

Thanks

John

RAlph,

The rules should have been approved in November 2007. However, there were conflicting texts and definitions so the decision was postponed to mid-year meeting in May 2008.

Then we (the classes, the nations) received a copy of the edition 2009-2012, this version is final unless there are emergency changes decided after the Games.

It could have been a good policy to publish the new edition directly on the ISAF Web site and announce it, but probably they fear confusion, so the distribution is confidential… should be on the site, but with no direct link.

If you need a personal copy, you can ask to Pauline Ward pauline@isaf.co.uk.

Phil

···

Ralph Tingle

Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:20 PM

Hi Phil

I had assumed that the rules would need to be approved at the November meeting before they are published

Do you have the url for the new rules as I can only find the current version on the ISAF web site?

Regards

Ralph

[mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Philippe DE TROY
Sent: 19 August 2008 11:39
To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Redress in Final/qualifying series

RAlph,

Phil

Regards

Ralph

To:
sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject:

I don't see any way to automate this, but since it was the last race it was easy to calculate by hand and enter. If it had been on previous days, then remembering to update those by hand would have been a pain.

Thanks

John